Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It does not qualify you to be a fully approved architect, does it? So what sort's of jobs would you get in the architectural field's ?

ReputationRep:
    PS ---- I might be totally wrong, just what I know without looking into it properly.

ReputationRep:
    Its certainly not pointless, but its also certainly making your life a lot harder for yourself at the end if you don't want to go into a design related career. You could do many things related to design - but ultimately you could probably do those anyway if you were interested, in, say, web design, you aren't going to have much spare time to work on it, so you would be better to do a lower intensity degree and have spare time to follow your interests.

ReputationRep:
    My taxi driver took a 3 year Architecture BSc and well, he's a taxi driver.

(Original post by Boobies.)
      My taxi driver took a 3 year Architecture BSc and well, he's a taxi driver.
      You have your own personal taxi driver?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Madjackismad)
      You have your own personal taxi driver?
      I always use the same firm, Mill Hill, and they once sent me David, who's really fit and a right laugh, and after that when i rung up i asked for him so now they send him whenever I order a taxi :blush:

ReputationRep:
      Why run the risk of doing a course that probably has the highest drop out rates, it can and probably will affect your mental and physical wellbeing, will be very stressful, will be more time consuming than any other degree meaning your relationships with friends and family will deteriorate, you don't just get a bad mark you get an hour of abuse then you get a bad mark, you'll never be able to fathom the marking scheme because it's like a mirage (you can see it but in reality it doesn't exist or have any bearing on reality), it will cost you a fortune in materials/printing and there is a 50% chance you'll probably end up coming out with a 2:2 at the end of it and that's if you aren't in the 30-40% of people that quit?

In my school it was more like 25% that achieved good degree's. The interior design and product design 3rd year degree show work looked like the stuff we were producing in first year and they weren't bad courses. Save yourself the hassle and do something like that.

ReputationRep:
      Apparently Part I is a sought after degree and it leads nicely into other design fields, in particular web design. I'm sure it will set you up well long term as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JK471993)
      Apparently Part I is a sought after degree and it leads nicely into other design fields, in particular web design. I'm sure it will set you up well long term as well.
      When did you graduate, are you working in web design? Oh wait you haven't even started Part I yet. The Part I is a sought after degree because most people don't actually know what it entails and think that being an architect will make you more attractive to the opposite sex and keep Daddy happy at the same time.

I do know of a few people that trained as architects that are working in game design.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KeyserNI)
      When did you graduate, are you working in web design? Oh wait you haven't even started Part I yet. The Part I is a sought after degree because most people don't actually know what it entails and think that being an architect will make you more attractive to the opposite sex and keep Daddy happy at the same time.

I do know of a few people that trained as architects that are working in game design.
      Hence the use of "apparently"... e.g. info. coming from people I have spoken to and sources I have read.

ReputationRep:
      It is only of use if you are interested in web design anyway and you use your spare time as an architecture student (yeah, like you have loads of that) to learn web design.

Be under no delusion: you will get taught nothing about how to do this (or pretty much anything else computer related on the course). Just don't want you going into this course thinking that you sit down and get taught stuff.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jrhartley)
      It is only of use if you are interested in web design anyway and you use your spare time as an architecture student (yeah, like you have loads of that) to learn web design.

Be under know delusion: you will get taught nothing about how to do this (or pretty much anything else computer related on the course). Just don't want you going into this course thinking that you sit down and get taught stuff.
      I trust that you are right. My sources were probably pretty insufficient in comparison to your experience. I am prepared for a long, intense, ego-crushing lone-ride that bears no fruit at the end. I must be a sadomasochist!

ReputationRep:
      JRhartley is always right. You should have learnt that by now.

ReputationRep:
      There speaks the voice of reason.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.