Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BMO1 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last thread for this failed.
    Who's taking it tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Please note that you should not discuss the details of this exam until the moderators say it's OK.

See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1480237.

Thanks.

From http://www.bmoc.maths.org/home/news.shtml
      This year’s BMO Round 1 paper was taken on Thursday 2 December, and later when schools were closed on Thursday; the paper may now be freely discussed, and video solutions are temporarily available online.

BMO1 was the most painful experience of my life - two and a half hours of thinking how useless I was followed by an hour of feverish scribbling once I'd figured out how to to do one of them. Sob!

ReputationRep:
      I did questions 1, 2 and 4

Looking at the video solutions I think I got those three questions right

ReputationRep:
      That was quite possibly the toughest 3 and a half hours of my life.

I got 1 right quite nicely.

Question 2 was done through a sort of trial and error process once I had got all the parameters I needed.

Question 6 I had to assume several things, but it managed to fit what I wanted. Oh well, fingers crossed that I get over 20, which is my target.

ReputationRep:
      Anyone else find 3 impossible to draw?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by j.alexanderh)
      Anyone else find 3 impossible to draw?
      Yeah I didn't really get it either, I didn't do either of those questions with circles

ReputationRep:
      Solutions are now up on the website: BMO1 2010/11 video solutions .

I did questions 1, 2, 3 and 5 (and a tiny part of 6). Hopefully that's enough for BMO2, although the fact that you have to check the solutions for Q1 and Q2 is annoying. I thought the paper was harder than last years (no simul. equations or functions), and Q3 (the no. of arrangements of counters on a chessboard one) I didn't understand at all.

ReputationRep:
      I'm in year 11 and took this unofficially as a trial.
      Only managed to answer 1 and 2, and it looks like these were correct from the videos, although I din't realise you had to substitute answers back into the original equation to check they worked.

ReputationRep:
      Did 1, 2 and 3 correctly and video solutions suggest my answers were fine.

Went the binomial route with Q4, got the general rule for n red counters but did not know the rule given in the solution which would have made the question for me . Gave in my shoddy attempts at Q5 and 6 but may be lucky and get 1 or 2 marks off of those.

Should hopefully get at least 30, will pay to do BMO 2 if i don't qualify just for the experince

ReputationRep:
      For 3, assume AB and ML intersect at N'. Then show that ACLN' is cyclic.... a very easy problem. So was 5. Wanted harder geometry.

ReputationRep:
      I sat BMO1 early this morning, and was really pleased with myself.
      I did questions 1,2,3,4, and started 6 (Submitted it anyway for the hope of more marks) but my proof for the chessboard one was a bit wayward!
      I was expecting it to be harder, but with the amount of practise I did I think I've improved considerably.
      Hopefully it's enough for BMO2:confused:

ReputationRep:
      http://www.bmoc.maths.org/

They've published everyone who got 40+ on there, basically they're all chinese

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.