Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is in the right place, but tis mainly directed at med students or people who have applied to med in the last few years. Just wondering if you have been rejected from medicine after an interview? what went wrong? If you had the chance to improve/redo it what would you do and what advice do you give to others? Also, do people get rejected after an interview because of not enough places/competition with better candidates or can you actually have a bad interview?

thanks
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was lucky enough not to get rejected, but it's a common thing to happen, since most medical schools reject about 50% of those interviewed. What went wrong? At a guess I'd say nerves getting to them, saying something stupid, or the interviewers just feeling that the school wasn't for them/the applicant didn't know about the course etc. Advice - make sure you know how the course works. It's quite common to be asked "so what is it about this course that appeals to you," and if you can't answer it then it doesn't look too good :rolleyes: But just be yourself!! Because they will know if you'll fit into the school or not, so if they do reject you for that, they may well be doing you a favour (not that it seems like it at the time!!!) And you can get rejected for both reasons. Just missing out due to tough competition and just having a bad day. But if you are rejected, make sure to ask for feedback so you know what to improve on

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected after interview by UEA last year, they sent back a form with 4/5 categories on it (can't remember what they were now) and a rating, but all of mine were "acceptable" so I'm not entirely sure why I got turned down. I guess I hadn't performed as well as other candidates :p:
    Probably didn't help that I told one station that if I failed to get in I might take up my neuroscience backup at Manchester, and said to another that I'd reapply.
    Woops.

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected from Birmingham after interview - I went into this insane autopilot mode that was the complete opposite of myself and spouted crap for 15 minutes. I was 100% sure I'd be rejected afterwards. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    since most medical schools reject about 0% of those interviewed.
    What? Notts reject about 45% of interviewees, and it's a fairly similar figure at all my other choices.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Organ)
    What? Notts reject about 45% of interviewees, and it's a fairly similar figure at all my other choices.
    Oops, was meant to be 50 :p: I shall correct it now

ReputationRep:
    Oops, was meant to be 50 :p: I shall correct it now
    Ah fair enough I wish it was closer to 0%
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Organ)
    Ah fair enough I wish it was closer to 0%
    Well, for Birmingham it is :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    You applied to Cardiff didn't you? They only reject around 25%

ReputationRep:
    Yeah last year from BSMS. Was absolutely gutting. Was very close to an offer as well.

ReputationRep:
    What about Sheffield, how many % do they reject after interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazu121)
    Not sure if this is in the right place, but tis mainly directed at med students or people who have applied to med in the last few years. Just wondering if you have been rejected from medicine after an interview? what went wrong? If you had the chance to improve/redo it what would you do and what advice do you give to others? Also, do people get rejected after an interview because of not enough places/competition with better candidates or can you actually have a bad interview?

thanks
    Yes, I had four interviews and was rejected by three.

I think my problem was that I didn't have enough confidence in myself and wasn't very good at selling myself. Interviews are all about finding the balance between selling yourself and sounding like a cocky git.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Yes, I had four interviews and was rejected by three.

I think my problem was that I didn't have enough confidence in myself and wasn't very good at selling myself. Interviews are all about finding the balance between selling yourself and sounding like a cocky git.
    Can I ask which unis rejected you after interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrubZ)
    Can I ask which unis rejected you after interview?
    HYMS, Cardiff & Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow-I walked in and became a nervous wreck and I actually left feeling quite embarrassed!

Bristol-got an interview for the grad course and my feedback was that I was overly underconfident and my medical news knowledge was poor.

Well, this year hopefully it will go better

ReputationRep:
    I haven't yet, but I'm gearing up for bad news. That way the only shock I could get is a positive one

ReputationRep:
    Well, for Birmingham it is :p:
    :cry:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by colabottles)
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazu121)

thanks
    UCL rejected me last year for Physics, I went in that day super confident and I froze when I sat down, forgot all my preparation but I said some crap. It didn't help when he asked me a really hard question which he didn't expect me to solve but I didn't know that so I panicked and it affected my ability to reason the question. I'm not mad but I was disappointed but if I were the interviewee I wouldn't of accepted me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.