Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

So i dunno if anyone here has done Islamic Law but if you have it'd be nice to have a little bit of help with this question; it essentially asks you to discuss the extent and nature of legislation in the Qur'an.

I've done the readings, coulson, el awa etc etc and thought I understood them but now that i'm trying to piece things together for some reason I can't seem to form a firm argument here. Usually i can understand exactly what a question is getting at but I'm having a bit of difficulty structuring my argument in this case.

At the moment i'm thinking my line of argument is the fact that obv the Qur'an is the primary source of Islamic law, however in line with classical theories on Islamic law, the Qur'an is not the only source of Islamic legislation...and thus you have to bring in a discussion of the other 3 main sources and their position in the hierarchy of Islamic legislation. Or do i just stick to discussion of Qur'anic legislation and talk about the importance of legal injunctions withing the Qur'an, despite not being primarily a book of law?

If anyone has actually done this course / can shed any light then please reply.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Maybe best to stick to the Qur'an... and then bring in the concluding remarks on how it is not a book fundamentally containing laws.

There's loads of discussion and texts by Islamic philosophers and theologians on the topic of Islamic law and where Muslims can get such laws from. Use them. That's what the discussion is about and I guess the nature basically what kind of laws are they.

But then again.... I did quite poor on my essay on this kind of topic last year... but it was my first essay... and I didn't use enough sources at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.