The Student Room Group

Doctors who have changed careers?

Just out of interest, i just wanted to hear from doctors who have switched to other careers (aside from medicine) to share their views so we can all learn from it. Anyone with a medical degree but not working as a Doctor?
(edited 13 years ago)
Useful BMJ Careers article here with some perspectives from people who've gone into various fields:

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=20000189
Reply 2
Useful BMJ Careers article here with some perspectives from people who've gone into various fields:

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advic...ml?id=20000189

Thanks that was a very interesting read. I repped you btw xD
Reply 3
Thanks for posting the link, a truly inspiring piece.
Reply 4
Original post by pappymajek
Thanks for posting the link, a truly inspiring piece.

The banks are a popular option, as are the legal careers. Also hospital consultancy, pharmaceutical trade or something completely random and unrelated!
We have a family friend who trained as a psychiatrist, only to drop out once qualified. He's now doing a Masters in Computer Science.
Reply 6
Psychiatrist turned computer scientist-no relation there at all. Psychiatrists are usually very extroverted talkative and people loving. Computer scientist/programmers probably have to spend most of their time alone. I can see why the person didnt enjoy psychiatry at all.

I think personally that there is very little support out there for Doctors who are seeking other careers outside medicine. The medical curriculum is designed in such a way that if you study medicine you have to practise as a doctor other wise you'll always have something to lose unless you're very lucky to get a good job outside medicine-eg banking. Most medical students would have accumulated a lot of debt on qualifying and hence the need to get working and the easiest way is to just remain in medicine.

Also, medicine easily provides a good steady income, again making leaving medicine a more difficult decision. Its also worth saying that only a few proportion of doctors decide to leave the profession for another career.

Either way, would love to hear your views regarding this.
Reply 7
Shibby Robati

from surgery to Alan Sugar's 'you're fired'.
Reply 8
^:rofl2:

Is scientific research sufficiently different?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending