Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

D-Day - 9th December, London - This is the LAST MARCH before voting! MAKE IT BIG!!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136567579732280

Please join the facebook event and come down to London!

This is the last march that takes place BEFORE voting on education fees!

Every single person will contribute! Together we will make a difference!

This time no excuses.

IT'S SHOWDOWN at PARLIAMENT SQUARE!!!!!

10:00 AM, DECEMBER 9TH, 2010, PARLIAMENT SQUARE, LONDON

(Original post by anoif_)
    You won't make a difference. It's all very well saying "It's outrageous - how dare the government put fees up" but, frankly, until you come up with a different solution, I don't see a way round it.

As a side point, the fee rises won't even affect you so take your size 20 font and overuse of exclamation marks elsewhere.
    The government officials are paid for their jobs. And it's their jobs to "come up with a different solution", not ours!

Yes, it will not affect me because I'm starting my studies next year.
    Think about millions of students in the future, whom it will affect!

You should not be so selfish. It's not about "me", it's about "us"!

Everyone should come to this protest!

ReputationRep:
    Are you expecting a deathmatch?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but aren't there laws against converging on Parliament?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    Are you expecting a deathmatch?
    most likely

ReputationRep:
    Going to be epic fail...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_13th)
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136567579732280

Please join the facebook event and come down to London!

This is the last march that takes place BEFORE voting on education fees!

Every single person will contribute! Together we will make a difference!

This time no excuses.

IT'S SHOWDOWN at PARLIAMENT SQUARE!!!!!

10:00 AM, DECEMBER 9TH, 2010, PARLIAMENT SQUARE, LONDON
    Tbh as a student against fee rises - I have to say the last 2 marches were hardly 'big' despite all the FB/TSR hype.

As long as no **** screws it up bringing violence into it, then yeah whatever last march yahtta yahtta yahtta.

Violence is NOT the way forward. Peaceful protest makes a much better impact imo.

So you are trying to intimidate them into voting against the rises by marching on the day of the vote? Well for one I will imagine most already know which way they are going to vote and I also think pissing off the people who are voting is a bad idea.

I honestly can't wait until thursday when the bill passes and the truth that you make absolutely no difference, and are only a slight annoyance is exposed to you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by the_13th)
      most likely
      Make sure you put the RC car as your first killstreak. If you're lucky, you'll get enough kills for an instant chopper gunner.

ReputationRep:
      I don't want *******s like these getting into university...

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...f80blFTv20c1tz

ReputationRep:
      You won't make a difference. It's all very well saying "It's outrageous - how dare the government put fees up" but, frankly, until you come up with a different solution, I don't see a way round it.

As a side point, the fee rises won't even affect you so take your size 20 font and overuse of exclamation marks elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
      I have an exam then

ReputationRep:

There is an alternative.

What do you mean by your second point?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ANARCHY__)
      There is an alternative.

What do you mean by your second point?
      What alternative? I'm genuinely interested to hear I just really don't think protests are the way forward - these people have tarred all students with the same brush. The public, nor the government, have taken them seriously and we now look like immature anarchists who actually deserve to pay so much money. That's the general view now because violence doesn't actually solve anything.

I'm not coming from a point of view where my family are elitist and rich and whilst I do sympathise with students who are going to have to pay these higher fees, I can understand why they have been introduced.

And my second point was addressed to the OP, not those going to the protest in general

ReputationRep:
      What alternative? I'm genuinely interested to hear I just really don't think protests are the way forward - these people have tarred all students with the same brush. The public, nor the government, have taken them seriously and we now look like immature anarchists who actually deserve to pay so much money. That's the general view now because violence doesn't actually solve anything.

I'm not coming from a point of view where my family are elitist and rich and whilst I do sympathise with students who are going to have to pay these higher fees, I can understand why they have been introduced.

And my second point was addressed to the OP, not those going to the protest in general
      This is untrue, why state rubbish you have plucked from the air?

Here, this is what the general public think about the rise in tuition fees...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...me_02_12_2010/

Watch from about 10mins too 30mins.

You might be surprised to see most people are on the side of the students, and infact these protest are causing massive doubts in the minds of Lib dem mp's. With various senior ministers having already committed to voting against the proposals.

It might seem improbable, but its not impossible that this bill can still be defeated.

ReputationRep:
      wait, why do people think they deserve something for nothing?

ReputationRep:

The government officials are paid for their jobs. And it's their jobs to "come up with a different solution", not ours!

Yes, it will not affect me because I'm starting my studies next year.
      Think about millions of students in the future, whom it will affect!

You should not be so selfish. It's not about "me", it's about "us"!

Everyone should come to this protest!

ReputationRep:
      I am for this protest and intend on going (if I can find friends who would join me), but comparing it to D-Day is way OTT.

ReputationRep:
      That's the general view now because violence doesn't actually solve anything.
      What general view? Stop making up things.

And bit ironic saying that violence doesn't solve anything and yet human history is dominated by wars.

YAs a side point, the fee rises won't even affect you.
      No wonder you aren't going if you are so selfish. If you walk past a stranger who is dying on the roadside would you just walk past them? Apparently people do so would not be surprised if you did, given what happened to that old man who almost died of hypothermia. Pathetic attitude towards life and others.

+ surely the fact that fees don't even affect us makes our point stronger, and that we aren't simply protesting because we don't want to pay. we are protesting because we believe it is wrong.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spocckka)
      wait, why do people think they deserve something for nothing?
      I don't think many people think they deserve something for nothing, but what they also don't feel that a near 300% increase in tuition fees and massive cuts to the further education budget is right either.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Hope you realise you have no political support bar the BNP who are the only party offering free education.

Im sorry but your choice is the Tory rise or the Labour Grad Tax. Thats it.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.