Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my maths teacher today scared the **** out of me when he told me it was one of the most ridiculously challenging subjects out there and i'll struggle if i can't get an A* in further maths, lol...

i've completed maths and AS further maths so far and i'm pretty comfortable with it. i'm nothing special when it comes to physics, i'm OK. i'm fluent with computers (though i haven't done any computer programming work... ever).

i get stressed out as **** when it comes to exam season. how's this like in uni? worse than a-levels? and will i struggle as hard as my maths teacher says i will or is he exaggerating (i should have AA for maths + further maths, probably a B for physics too)

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ucasisannoying)
    my maths teacher today scared the **** out of me when he told me it was one of the most ridiculously challenging subjects out there and i'll struggle if i can't get an A* in further maths, lol...

i've completed maths and AS further maths so far and i'm pretty comfortable with it. i'm nothing special when it comes to physics, i'm OK. i'm fluent with computers (though i haven't done any computer programming work... ever).

i get stressed out as **** when it comes to exam season. how's this like in uni? worse than a-levels? and will i struggle as hard as my maths teacher says i will or is he exaggerating (i should have AA for maths + further maths, probably a B for physics too)

thanks
    It really depends which uni you go to. Grade boundaries of universities are not a reliable fine grained indicator of course quality, but they do give a general idea of course difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    At some places the maths is hard yeah, for example I have a friend at Bristol who almost feels a little behind after not taking FM at A level. Other universities are different though, some don't even require maths at A level at all...

ReputationRep:
    It's quite mathematical here at Imperial but I didn't do Further Maths at all but found it fine after first year (when I failed the maths module and subsequently resat and passed)...

ReputationRep:
    It's HARD. Even with A Level FM(A) I'm having to work every night to stay on top of things. Interesting though, best thing to happen to me so far.

There's often a difference between courses marked as computing and computer science. Obviously, the latter will have more deep theory and maths.

I bailed on a traditional computer science degree and moved to a more conventional computing degree - if you want to discuss it, send me a PM and I'll give you a fuller explanation without cluttering this thread.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ucasisannoying)

thanks
      Don't listen to him imo. You seem more than capable.

I got a B in FM (fair enough i should of got an A but a mass amount of family problems happened during final exams of A2).

But yea, i struggled a bit at FM. Normal Maths easy though.
      There's a lot of students here who didn't take FM, and they're struggling a bit. But they're struggling with the Maths courses, not the computer ones.

If you want to get into a good CS Uni though, aim for ABB and AAB .

Edinburgh accept ABB (so long as your predicted AAB)...but most students who come here seem to have some really good computing background knowledge, done on their own accord.

ReputationRep:
      I did fine without A Level maths at Southampton which has quite a "mathsy" course - lots of theory stuff.

The thing is, most of the maths you'll do isn't covered at A level at all anyway (or if it is not in any sort of usable depth) so every one is pretty much in the same boat

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.