Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the differences between Quaker instant oat and House-Branded instant oats??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As questioned

Just wonder because Quaker oats are expensive comparing to other house branded ones e.g. Tesco

Are they taste differently? Different quality? What factors affect the price of oats?

Oh what do you eat the oat with? just milk or add something else too?
    Mine just with milk

ReputationRep:
    No one ****ing bit of difference but the price, and perhaps subtle taste difference depending on [lack of] processing, location/source of oats etc. Just get the cheap generic bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    No one ****ing bit of difference but the price, and perhaps subtle taste difference depending on [lack of] processing, location/source of oats etc. Just get the cheap generic bag.
    Ahhh I~ see and yeah I'm on budgeting now so the cheaper the better!
    Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Milk a scoop of whey, and some honey for me

ReputationRep:
    I've found the quaker oats to be slightly finer. I guess they charge more for splitting the oats into satchets and adding sugar into them to make them taste bogging.

Tesco oats are brilliant tho - 35p for 500g if i recall? Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    I think the only difference is the packaging and the price. The product is identical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sawasdee)
    Ahhh I~ see and yeah I'm on budgeting now so the cheaper the better!
    Thanks for the reply
    If you're on a budget don't buy 'instant' porrdige, buy a bag of porridge oats. It's about £1 for a kilo in Sainsburys, and it takes about 5 minutes to cook on the hob, you can even do it in the microwave in the same time as your 'instant' oats which probably cost 5x the amount.

Instant oats are for suckers.

ReputationRep:
    I just eat straight normal porridge oats in cold milk. Oats, bowl, maple syrup, cinnamon, milk. Eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I just eat straight normal porridge oats in cold milk. Oats, bowl, maple syrup, cinnamon, milk. Eat.
    I used to do that Good times! I'd have oats, milk and sultanas.
    Now I soak the oats overnight, cook in the morning and top with honey.

ReputationRep:
    I just eat them raw with cold milk and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Tastes better without being cooked for me :zomg:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.