Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

uni life Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I feel like i'm constantly telling my parents that I love living in halls but in reality I absolutely hate it, the guys in my halls have no consideration for others and are constantly blaring music, drinking and yelling. Am I the only one feeling like this or are there others out there? Does it ever get better?

ReputationRep:
    My halls are so like that, most of them are so loud and dirty, it's so frustrating! Maybe you could try talking to them? Just let them know they have to be considerate of everyone. Are there others who agree with you (I'm sure there will be somewhere ), maybe a few of you could say something (easier than being the only one).
    Try to remember, it's only a year (not even that!), there are lots of holidays and maybe start thinking about where you're gonna live next year, having a plan for when you're outta there might make you feel better, something to focus on when the noise starts up

=] xo

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone. Living in halls is ridiculously overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Halls can be a very good experience if you have nice flatmates but if you are unfortunate to be stuck with inconsiderate people it becomes a nightmare. You are certainly not alone. A thieving and bigoted flatmate drove me away and I am consequently on a leave of absence but please try not to do this - it was not worth it and it let him win.

Try to form a group within your halls who do not behave like the idiots and hopefully you will be able to collectively persuade them to stop acting so stupidly. Otherwise, you could try to spend more time away from your halls if you have friends who live elsewhere. Of course, you should not have to be spending more time away from your own building but from experience, it is sometimes nice to get away.

ReputationRep:
    Mine exactly the same as that, but i survive because some days its very quiet and i can actually do work and stuff and not be annoyed. I can't wait till second year where i'll be in a house with a group of people i like. Its fustrating though, in the halls im in, theres only like 10 to a block . And its not a very sociable place to be, the annoying people like each other and do stuff, usually going off to other blocks or halls, and i dont get along with any of them. But the other day i met the people ill be living with next year and theyre in the same halls, and i got on with them immediately which was good but also made me think of how kind of unlucky id been with my original flatmates. I think its more about luck than anything, i do think halls are overrated but it depends on your flatmates and what type of person you are, i.e. if you're not a mad clubbing partier who likes getting drunk most nights, then its a problem. and im not that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclesquawk)
    Mine exactly the same as that, but i survive because some days its very quiet and i can actually do work and stuff and not be annoyed. I can't wait till second year where i'll be in a house with a group of people i like. Its fustrating though, in the halls im in, theres only like 10 to a block . And its not a very sociable place to be, the annoying people like each other and do stuff, usually going off to other blocks or halls, and i dont get along with any of them. But the other day i met the people ill be living with next year and theyre in the same halls, and i got on with them immediately which was good but also made me think of how kind of unlucky id been with my original flatmates. I think its more about luck than anything, i do think halls are overrated but it depends on your flatmates and what type of person you are, i.e. if you're not a mad clubbing partier who likes getting drunk most nights, then its a problem. and im not that at all.

Alot of things are down to luck at uni... Meeting the right friends, getting on with flatmates, balancing the books with relationships, but you have to adapt to the university lifestyle. Some people aren't cut out for it and I've known of a few who really suffer. I would definately say If you honestly find university socially challenging as you make it sound, you might aswell say hello to the dole when you graduate because you have to compromise and adapt even more in the workplace especially if you want to succeed in our networking age we live in!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.