Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need serious help, I have Please help, no idea what to do about my AS levels, Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically this september I started AS levels in Biology, Chemistry, History and English Lit. It's all going well...except chemistry, I'm finding it so difficult that I consistently fail homework and in-class tests, despite listening in every lesson, taking good notes, doing every set task etc.

I got an A* at GCSE in chemistry (just haven't updated my sig since it was re-marked!) but that was mostly because you could memories equations and things, rather than having to actually understand the maths, which I am having serious problems with - as I seem to have no logic

I used to want to do Biology at uni, but now I've decided History is more realistic (I get As in my essays in class for History + English lit., and also got an A in a past paper for Biology module 1) and probably more suited to me, even if it leads the career path wide open!

So what should I do? When I ask my teacher for help, they give me a sheet full of numbers as answers, rather than explaining anything. I get very upset in class and trying to do homework - I just feel so stupid! The worse thing is nobody believes I'm failing because I don't get it, they think I must just not be trying?

If I could, should I switch to another subject, say psychology, policitcs or even R.S? :confused:

I just don't know how I'm going to get through the next year in this subject, I'm just so stressed about it and my teacher doesn't seem to care :'( - everyday I leave it the harder it will be to drop out - or is it already too late!

PLEASE HELP/ADVISE

ReputationRep:
    What bits are you actualyy struggling with, and tbh its probs too late

ReputationRep:
    It'll be almost impossible to change now. Just soldier through the year and drop it-work your ass off to get a B or a low A and that'll be a success.

ReputationRep:
    switch subjects... i was like you and my school didnt let me switch cos it was too late and i ended up with a D. so if i was you change!!! or get a tutor in it?

ReputationRep:
    Get a tutor, buy a Revision Guide, buy a practice questions book for Biology, look at the specification. Repeat exercises that you do in class at home until you perfect them

ReputationRep:
    I know it's extremely late...but to be honest I'm sure from the fact that I don't undertand the "foundation" chemistry that it's only going to get worse as the year goes on

Since I'm already going to get a D in this subject wouldn't it be better to at least attempt another subject, then there's only the possibility I might fail??

Honestly, I find anything to do with the equations (redox, oxidation states, ionisation, reacting gases, moles and the avogadro constant) difficult. I guess I just underestimated how bad I am at maths and logical thinking, which I've always been able to memorise up until now

We started school on the 6th of September, so I've missed about 2 months work...

Does anyone know anyone who switched AS levels and still managed to get a good grade? I just really don't see this working, especially as nobody really seems to be helping me in class....:bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    I know it's extremely late...but to be honest I'm sure from the fact that I don't undertand the "foundation" chemistry that it's only going to get worse as the year goes on

Since I'm already going to get a D in this subject wouldn't it be better to at least attempt another subject, then there's only the possibility I might fail??

Honestly, I find anything to do with the equations (redox, oxidation states, ionisation, reacting gases, moles and the avogadro constant) difficult. I guess I just underestimated how bad I am at maths and logical thinking, which I've always been able to memorise up until now

We started school on the 6th of September, so I've missed about 2 months work...

Does anyone know anyone who switched AS levels and still managed to get a good grade? I just really don't see this working, especially as nobody really seems to be helping me in class....:bawling:

ts probably too late tbh, but you can always ask. If your struggling teach ourself or get a tutor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)

Hi

You are probably too late to change subjects, BUT that doesn't mean you will get a bad result in Chemistry.

If you are getting A's in your other subjects you probably aren't too stupid to get an A in Chemistry - its probable that your teacher's teaching style is a key issue.

Heres what you need to do:

1) Find a personal tutor and go BACK over stuff you've already covered in class until you understand it.

2) Speak to your head of department (chemistry) if your teacher is unhelpful. Explain that you need additional help and are not getting it from your teacher and ask for advice. Explain that you are working very hard but it isn't working.

3) Buy a revision guide that tackles the subject from a different perspective and read that in advance of each class to try and give yourself a basic understanding to work from.

4) If all else fails talk to your form tutor about your problems. Don't take no for an answer.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar problem when I started AS Chem...if it is too late, which it probably is, then what you need to do is buy some revision books and practice a lot of questions; from the revision guide, past exam questions, anything you can get your hands on. It is still possible to get a great grade, I got an B to everyone's surprise, one of the highest in my class. You just need a bit of determination

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with everyone saying it's too late. You're obviously talented with essay writing so why not take up philosophy or something? I'm sure you'll be able to catch up in less time than it will take you to get a decent grade in chem if you're really struggling, especially as you don't even have a decent teacher to help you ( I find chem is one of those subjects where a good teacher makes such a difference)

If you do decide to stay with chem heres a really good website which should help, personally I have never used it for chem since i have an amazing teacher but i always find it really useful for math:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.