Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got a letter today that officers may come in any day to investigate whether i've been watching TV illegally. BS! I don't even own a TV although I have watched maybe 2 or 3 episodes of Inbetweeners on iPlayer since i've lived here so is that why they're after me? Obviously, I don't want to waste £145 if its nothing. If I pay up then thats almost all my money gone! What should I do about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badgerkins)
    I just got a letter today that officers may come in any day to investigate whether i've been watching TV illegally. BS! I don't even own a TV although I have watched maybe 2 or 3 episodes of Inbetweeners on iPlayer since i've lived here so is that why they're after me? Obviously, I don't want to waste £145 if its nothing. If I pay up then thats almost all my money gone! What should I do about this?
    did you declare that you don't need a TV license? if yes then ignore the letter

ReputationRep:
    Do you steam live telly from your laptop? I'm pretty sure it's alright to watch telly on the iplayer without a TV license - if not the shop I work at is screwed...

ReputationRep:
    Typical tactics of these bullies I'm afraid.

You know how they claim they have special vans that drive around at night, checking if people who haven't paid for a TV licence are watching TV?

Bull****.

Their one and only method for trying to make people pay is to send threatening letters to every household that doesn't have a TV licence (regardless of whether they actually have a TV or not) and hope they scare a few of them into paying up.

Any letters I get go straight in the shredder. We don't even have a TV in the house and they're threatening us with court action. It's been going on for months. Nothing ever comes of it.

ReputationRep:
    All my flatmates got those letters. Basically they send them to every student accommodation address that isn't registered for a TV license. As long as you let them know that you don't need a license because you're not watching live TV then it's okay. Plus, iplayer is fine. You only need a license if you watch things live on the TV or on your computer .

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to declare you don't need a license, you don't need a license to watch non-live TV and, if they come (which is unlikely), refuse to let them in unless they bring a warrant and a police officer.

Ignore this letter, and do NOT buy a license.

ReputationRep:
    I ignored it. Nothing's come of it. If it did, I'm kosher.
    We don't have one at home either, they kept writing pestering even after my dad notified them that he didn't require a licence, so he sent them the snottiest, most sarcastic letter I've seen.
    Relax.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to do anything at all. Nothing will come of this, except maybe more threatening letters. Just ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, our whole building basically gets them, we ignore it.. we arent doing anything were not allowed.

Apart from using Freewite TV, but that comes with our Unite internet, so thats ok.. i guess?

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty standard for them to send these threatening letters out, particularly to student accommodation. My college post-room has a box full of them. We just ignore them and then the porters shred them/return them to the licensing people.

They don't have vans and have no legal right to enter your home. In order to enter, they would have to get a warrant and are unlikely to do that on the off chance you are watching TV without a license.

If you are not watching live TV, don't buy a license. And, don't let these letters get to you. Just ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I sent a declaration and i'm waiting for the next step. Thanks for the help guys

ReputationRep:
    It is bull****, my parents still made me buy a frigging license though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    You know how they claim they have special vans that drive around at night, checking if people who haven't paid for a TV licence are watching TV?

Bull****.
    Actually there was one at my halls of residence last week! Just so you know, I think a few people got caught. But as long as you don't watch live TV, you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    I once bought a capture card for the PC, just takes in a composite/s-video feed, hasn't even got a TV tuner on it... they still sent me a letter. All this when we were already licensed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelkeira)
    Actually there was one at my halls of residence last week! Just so you know, I think a few people got caught. But as long as you don't watch live TV, you're fine.
    There may have been a van, but it wasn't detecting who was and who wasn't watching TV without a licence.

These crooks are full of hot air, sending intimidating letters to everyone in the hopes of getting a few of them to cough up £145. Don't be one of them OP.

Like I said, every house I've lived in as a student has had threatening letters from the TV licence people and not once have I ever owned a TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnytheFox)
    There may have been a van, but it wasn't detecting who was and who wasn't watching TV without a licence.
    Well it did, seeing as people got caught and fined....

ReputationRep:
    I had like 5 of those letters last years as did most of my mates in halls.
    Dont worry about it.
    I wasnt watching live tv either and nor was my mate.
    They cant do anything unless you let them in your room btw, so even if you are, dont let them in and as far as im aware they cant do anything.

ReputationRep:
    They did our halls in one big go and there was a huge pile of letters to every single room in the building, and then a while later some which claimed we were 'under investigation'....yeah, right...:rolleyes:

It's all BS, they just use scare tactics to try and get people to cough up the money when they don't need a TV license, hoping that people won't know any better.

I ignored my letter and put it in the bin, having read a lot of stuff on TSR and knowing it was BS. Some people clearly made the mistake of calling them or going online to say they didn't need one, because recently we've had a whole load of other letters with names on it this time instead of 'to the occupier'.

If you don't need a license, then ignore them. Don't contact them; you do NOT need to contact them to tell them you don't need a license, that just gives them your details so they can harass you personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badgerkins)
    Ok, I sent a declaration and i'm waiting for the next step. Thanks for the help guys
    I'll be surprised if you get one tbh as I sent mine off and have been waiting 5-6 weeks for this supposed letter to come about this next step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    did you declare that you don't need a TV license? if yes then ignore the letter
    Agreed, if you have then let them come, it'll just be a wasted journey.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.