Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

City Break in the Summer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, well my 8 friends and I want to go away somewhere after exams before we all go off to uni etc. We're not big drinkers so we thought lets do a City Break. The problem we're having though is that it's extremely difficult to try and organise something for 9 people when 1 will still be 17, and some of us have been to certain places before. So does anyone have any suggestions of Where to go, What to do, How to book it, How many rooms/?* Hotel etc.

We're planning on going the last week of July, and don't really want it to be tooo expensive. Any ideas would be great !!!

ReputationRep:
    Venice

random suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    barcelona.. city and beach.. look on places with package holidays like thomas cook, last minute (they dont just do last minute deals :P)

ReputationRep:
    Malaga, doesn't have to be Marbella [unless you want to spend some £]. There are hardly any chavs or binge drinkers in Malaga during the summer and there is loads to do!

Very hot weather, lots of beaches and local markets [as well as shopping malls].

ReputationRep:
    How about Shagaluf?

ReputationRep:
    Stockholm. It's one of the most amazing cities I've been to. Definitely don't plan on being able to afford to get wasted/eat out there though. If you do, it'll put a serious dent in your bank account!

Despite being relatively expensive, it is worth it though. A city based on 5 main islands with a thousand or so islands, many of them uninhabited, off the coast of it that you can ferry/boat hop to. If that doesn't grab your interest, I don't know what will! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Stockholm. It's one of the most amazing cities I've been to.
    Agreed. I fell in love with that city the minute I got there! I definitely want to go back in summer - I bet it's gorgeous in the sun

Any European city is ideal for a city break. Eastern Europe will be the cheapest, and you are probably best looking in hostels - they're ideal for a big group of people, cheap and some of them are very nice!

Have a look at the destination guides on Thomas Cook's website. You could always visit a couple of places and travel by train? Italy is ideal for this because the trains are very cheap and you could visit a couple of the biggest cities, maybe include a couple of days at the beach...
    I can't really recommend specific cities as I've never been, but this is what I've heard off others, and its definitely something I want to do myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle7)
    Agreed. I fell in love with that city the minute I got there! I definitely want to go back in summer - I bet it's gorgeous in the sun
    I spent 5 days there this summer and ended up coming back for a few more days later in my trip cos I loved it so much. It was absolutely stunning. Pretty sure I got sunburnt one day... there's something you don't expect when you're visiting Sweden!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    I spent 5 days there this summer and ended up coming back for a few more days later in my trip cos I loved it so much. It was absolutely stunning. Pretty sure I got sunburnt one day... there's something you don't expect when you're visiting Sweden!
    I went for 1 day last month. It's also very pretty in the snow! I'd like to see it in the sun though, and I'll be sure to wear suncream! That's one amazing thing about Scandinavia - they get proper seasons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle7)
    I went for 1 day last month. It's also very pretty in the snow! I'd like to see it in the sun though, and I'll be sure to wear suncream! That's one amazing thing about Scandinavia - they get proper seasons!
    Can't believe you studied in Turku as well. That must have been an amazing experience! Didn't have a chance to go but I loved Helsinki even though I was only there for just over a day and it rained the whole time I was there.

And you're studying in Sheffield as well... which is pretty much my home city seen as though I was born about 20 minutes away from there. Heh.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered Krakov? There's stuff to do both in the city and you can travel outside the city for more interesting things to do. It's relatively cheap, and to keep costs down even more there are loads of hostels you could stay at. Either that or Berlin, which has more to do, but might work out as more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Berlin is pretty much as cheap as Krakow. And also has plenty of hostels.

Don't get me wrong ,I like Krakow but Berlin has more to offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.