Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The pursuit of happYness, any other ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I watched The pursuit of HappYness, and I quite liked this film

Are there other films like that (motivational, etc.) that you would recommend ?
    My friend recommended: The Shawshank Redemption, do you agree ? Do you know others ?

Edit: I will add a poll later on

Edit2: Ok list so far:
    1. The pursuit of happiness
    2. The Shawshank Redemption
    3. Seven Pounds
    4. Forest Gump
    5. Crazy Heart
    6. The Social Network
    7. 8 mile
    8. Pay It Forward

ReputationRep:
    If you liked Pursuit of Happyness then you may well like Seven Pounds, also starring Will Smith!

It's all about an unbelievable series of selfless acts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitheuk)
    Hi guys,

So I watched The pursuit of HappYness, and I quite liked this film

Are there other films like that (motivational, etc.) that you would recommend ?
    My friend recommended: The Shawshank Redemption, do you agree ? Do you know others ?

Edit: I will add a poll later on
    Those are two of the best films ever made. You haven't lived until you've seen The Shawshank Redemption.

also yea ^ what he said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    Those are two of the best films ever made. You haven't lived until you've seen The Shawshank Redemption.
    also yea ^ what he said
    :eek: Ok I gotta watch it then!

ReputationRep:
    I like Green Mile... I think its quite good, but maybe not as inspirational as the others. More like... I dunno. Someone help me out with explaining it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I like Green Mile... I think its quite good, but maybe not as inspirational as the others. More like... I dunno. Someone help me out with explaining it!
    Yeah I agree.
    I watched that one.
    Slightly depressing maybe ... although it's not how I'd describe it ... :mad: Well, I'd say:
    "Good (or really good), but I'd still not advice it to someone who is, say depressed a bit and is going to watch it alone on a Friday night"

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree.
    I watched that one.
    Slightly depressing maybe ... although it's not how I'd describe it ... :mad: Well, I'd say:
    "Good (or really good), but I'd still not advice it to someone who is, say depressed a bit and is going to watch it alone on a Friday night"
    Haha, that's a great way to describe it.

One way I would not describe it: "It's great to watch in a Year 11 Citizenship lesson to introduce the topic of the death penalty"... which is how I watched it for the first time. BAAADDDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    i was gonna mention this one as well, it's a really good film but I realised it's not really motivational:p:

Forrest Gump anyone? :p:

ReputationRep:
    i was gonna mention this one as well, it's a really good film but I realised it's not really motivational:p:

Forrest gump is unique epic ! But is it in this category ?

Also I've just remembered "the dead poet society", thought it was awesome when I watched it. I dunno if it is considered as motivational though ... I guess since there is that "cease the moment" business it could probably count

ReputationRep:
    Crazy Heart
    Also I found The Social Network pretty moving and inspirational but that might be just me!

ReputationRep:
    Forrest gump is unique epic ! But is it in this category ?

Also I've just remembered "the dead poet society", thought it was awesome when I watched it. I dunno if it is considered as motivational though ... I guess since there is that "cease the moment" business it could probably count
    I just felt it deserved a mention :p:

ReputationRep:

I would agree with Forest Gump because lets be honest, Forest isn't the smartest guy in the world but he manages to do such amazing things. I believe it carries the message that no matter who you are you can achieve greatness Or is that just me ?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    8 mile?

ReputationRep:
    this is it?

ReputationRep:
    8 mile is good and its based on a true story, like the pursuit of happyness, i think if they are based on a true story they are more motivational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Crazy Heart
    Also I found The Social Network pretty moving and inspirational but that might be just me!
    I agree this The Social Network just goes to show hard work wins.

ReputationRep:
    Crazy Heart

I just felt it deserved a mention :p:

(Original post by HisRoyalFreshness)
    I would agree with Forest Gump because lets be honest, Forest isn't the smartest guy in the world but he manages to do such amazing things. I believe it carries the message that no matter who you are you can achieve greatness Or is that just me ?:cool:

(Original post by legendstar)
    8 mile?

(Original post by HisRoyalFreshness)
    I agree this The Social Network just goes to show hard work wins.
    Alright guys,
    so I'm adding all those films to the list (See Original Post).

Any others ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    If you liked Pursuit of Happyness then you may well like Seven Pounds, also starring Will Smith!

It's all about an unbelievable series of selfless acts.
    It's a good film but I wouldn't really describe it as motivational since his actions aren't really selfless at all and not really a situation any of us are (hopefully) likely to find ourselves in. I don't want to say why as it would spoil it for the OP and even if I disagree about it being motivational it's still a film I'd recommend they watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logi)
    It's a good film but I wouldn't really describe it as motivational since his actions aren't really selfless at all. I don't want to say why as it would spoil it for the OP and even if I disagree about it being motivational it's still a film I'd recommend they watch.
    Ok thanks for this, I get what you mean.

So what's your all time favourite(s) motivational film(s) ?

ReputationRep:
    Crazy Heart

The Social Network is a freakin' awesome movie! I thought I wouldn't like it at all, sort of had a "oh no, not a facebook movie :sigh:" reaction initially when I found out about it.

After watching it though, it was genuinely a very good movie. Especially for us uni students, because it is all about a couple of uni kids thinking outside the box and becoming 'accidental billionaires' as they're known.

Definitely recommend this to you OP! A great watch

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.