Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I know I've left it ridiculously late.

I'm on a gap year at the moment and have applied to UK universities. However, I've been toying with the idea of applying to the US for a couple of years now, but didn't really put the plan into action.

I'm not looking at Ivies or anything, but there are a couple of 'middling' institutions I have my eye on. I understand from looking at their application information that I am still able to apply for Fall 2011, but they will require me to sit the SAT (no subject tests AFAIK, just the general SAT). As I understand it, most people in my position would have sat the SAT months and months ago. :sigh:

So, is it possible for an applicant to put in an application in prior to sitting the SAT? I have checked test dates and there is one at the end of January 2011 which is still open for booking. Even if it is possible, is it advisable to sit it at such short notice?

I have done some research and understand the financial aspects and other considerations.

I'm hoping there are some people who can offer me some general advice about all of this. Am I just being a complete fool thinking that this is even possible?

:happy2:

ReputationRep:
    There are some test optional schools that you can apply to. Otherwise, you will need to submit the SAT or ACT to apply to most schools. If you want to apply to schools that require the SAT or ACT, you would probably want to take the January test.

Here's a list of test optional schools: http://www.fairtest.org/university/optional. I'd say the best of these would be the bolded schools along with Fairfield, Union College, Smith, and Bryn Mawr.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't except January SAT scores (although some allow Rush) and if they do, it actively counts against you.

By that I mean, some schools state that the deadline for all materials of your application to be in (i.e. from tests scores, to your Common App) is January 1st - anything after and its not considered. The rest of the schools won't consider you application until you've sent your scores off (i.e. they have a complete application from you) and if you sit the January SAT, your looking at getting your results in February - 2/3 months after the universities have started considering which applicants to give offers and interviews to etc.

My point being (as my sister was in the same situation a few years ago, though she was in Year 13 and thus had her gap-year to apply to the US), its most likely to late for most schools (definitely at least for the top-tier schools).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Most universities don't except January SAT scores (although some allow Rush) and if they do, it actively counts against you.

By that I mean, some schools state that the deadline for all materials of your application to be in (i.e. from tests scores, to your Common App) is January 1st - anything after and its not considered. The rest of the schools won't consider you application until you've sent your scores off (i.e. they have a complete application from you) and if you sit the January SAT, your looking at getting your results in February - 2/3 months after the universities have started considering which applicants to give offers and interviews to etc.

My point being (as my sister was in the same situation a few years ago, though she was in Year 13 and thus had her gap-year to apply to the US), its most likely to late for most schools (definitely at least for the top-tier schools).
    Hmm, exactly the kind of answer I was afraid to get! This is why no doubt I have decided to avoid the top tier schools. Out of interest, did your sister end up studying in the US?

The course I've applied for in the UK is incredibly competitive, so getting rejected by all of my choices wouldn't be so extraordinary. Do you know how gap years (or what would be a double gap year if I decide to apply for 2012) are looked upon by US schools? I would of course be in employment and involved in volunteering and community work.

ReputationRep:
    Many places accept the January test date (I did my subject tests last January) but it is very late to start the applications now, though definitely doable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaartist)
    Many places accept the January test date (I did my subject tests last January) but it is very late to start the applications now, though definitely doable.
    Thanks. One particular school told me that they expect the test results to be with them by the 1st of February, which unfortunately isn't going to be feasible. I wish I'd thought about this a lot earlier, I think I would've liked a shot at some of the Ivies.

Are you studying in the US now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    Thanks. One particular school told me that they expect the test results to be with them by the 1st of February, which unfortunately isn't going to be feasible. I wish I'd thought about this a lot earlier, I think I would've liked a shot at some of the Ivies.

Are you studying in the US now?
    Yepp and I really like it here (although it's almost finals week -_-)

ReputationRep:
    Yepp and I really like it here (although it's almost finals week -_-)
    Which university, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing that you began the process quite early last year.

ReputationRep:
    Which university, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing that you began the process quite early last year.
    MIT =)

Not at all actually. I decided to apply late August and that was quite late, so I had a crazy year but it was all worth it.

ReputationRep:
    MIT =)

Not at all actually. I decided to apply late August and that was quite late, so I had a crazy year but it was all worth it.
    Wow, what a dream. :daydreaming:

Funnily enough, when I first considered the US around a year ago I looked at MIT! Good luck with your finals.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a dream. :daydreaming:

Funnily enough, when I first considered the US around a year ago I looked at MIT! Good luck with your finals.
    Thanks =) Good luck for you too, whatever you decide to do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.