The Student Room Group

What is one act of kindness that you recieved from a stranger?

Scroll to see replies

Oh yeah, another one. When i was young i was roller skating and could only get home by going down this paved hill that sloped downwards, then there was a straight bit of path, then sloped went downwards, and so on. I'm pretty sure i had my mum do up my roller skates and didn't know how to take them off. So i kept going down, falling on my bum each time and crying because it hurt so much! Eventually an old couple came out of their homes and helped me get home.

I'm pretty sure something similar happened when i got my hair caught in my bike, haha.
Original post by finestory
WOULD be the moral of the story if I wasn't pretty much mediocre looking.
Hence why these random acts of kindness were all the more unexpected (:

I wasn't insulting you. Just stating a fact, Pretty girls are treated better than the rest of society. Nothing to be ashemed of.
One time this middle-aged man I passed in a train station told me I had 'a very graceful neck.' He went on to add, in a tone of full-on delight, 'LIKE A BEAUTIFUL SWAN!'.

That guy was creepy and ****ing awesome in pretty much equal measure.
It was at uni in Swansea. I was going back home for Christmas in my first year, and got the bus from the student village into town. When I began walking from the bus station to the train station at the other end (I couldn't afford a taxi), I realised very quickly that I'd vastly underrated how heavy packing tons of books into a sports bag would be and also that I hadn't left myself half as much time to get the station as I actually needed. My bag was so incredibly heavy that I had to put it down and rest every 50 metres or so. By the time I got to the right street this had been reduced to about every 20m, and I was desperate because I had precisely 3 minutes before my train was due to leave - and my ticket was only valid for that one train. Just then a man stopped and offered to help with it - with the result that I made it onto the train with about 30 seconds to spare. I was so grateful!
Reply 44
Original post by Law123mus
I wasn't insulting you. Just stating a fact, Pretty girls are treated better than the rest of society. Nothing to be ashemed of.

I know you weren't insulting me :smile: I just wouldn't say I'm under the umbrella of 'pretty girls' but there you go.
Reply 45
Original post by big-boss-91
i helped a stranger in prague, one french women was struggling to understand the man at the train station since no one speaks french and only speak english or cezch, i translated for her since i can speak reasonably ok french

:erm: but that's your act of kindness.

"What is one act of kindness that you received from a stranger?" :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by RoshniDiya
Oh yeah, another one. When i was young i was roller skating and could only get home by going down this paved hill that sloped downwards, then there was a straight bit of path, then sloped went downwards, and so on. I'm pretty sure i had my mum do up my roller skates and didn't know how to take them off. So i kept going down, falling on my bum each time and crying because it hurt so much! Eventually an old couple came out of their homes and helped me get home.

I'm pretty sure something similar happened when i got my hair caught in my bike, haha.

That sounds quite funny
Quite a few kind things people have done for me.

Last night my car was stuck in the snow and a cab driver helped get me out and back on the road :smile: Very lovely and friendly man.

This one probably means the most to me though - my dog got attacked in the park by a dog whos thuggish owner didn't think it necessary to have a fighting dog on a leash... and this dog just ripped my dog to shreds. :frown:
It was the most horrifying moment of my life and the man just walked off and left me covered in blood and my dog pretty much dying on the pavement. NO-ONE in the park came over to help me until I had picked up my dog and started walking out the park... and this ex soldier who was in a wheel chair saw me and came to help me.
He calmed me down, called an emergency vet and helped stop the bleeding. Also, because he lived in the area, he kept me informed when he saw this man with his dog and helped the police track him down.
Amazingly kind and brave man :smile:
And my dog recovered and is alive and well at the grand old age of 16. :smile:
Reply 48

On my way back from summer school this July, I had to haul a suitcase up some stairs because there was no lift. A stranger carried the case up the stairs for me, which was really nice.
And when I was 8, I once accidentally got the wrong tube and started crying because I'd ended up in Finsbury Park, a woman took me all the way back to school :smile:
Reply 49
There's quite a few. But the two that stick out to me right now:

- When I was on my way home from school, think I had a bad day. I was a bus stop and it was pouring down with heavy, but shelter was completely packed, so I was just standing there in my uniform getting soaked with rain. And this random woman, from Hispanic origin I guess, stood next to me and covered me with her umbrella. We had a small convo before she got on her bus, can't remember what, but it was really nice.

- Another time is when I had a huge argument with my mum, and she kicked me out the house. So I was on the street walking with a suit case. And this random guy notices me, I had met him just once, barely spoke so he was a stranger, took me a while to recognize him. And he took me in for night, had a long chat, gave me a load of advices.
When I was about six, I got lost in the middle of Taunton, and a very nice lady saw I was lost and managed to find out from me where my mum and dad were headed, and took me there to find them. I still remember that, because I remember feeling terrified when I turned round and I couldn't find my parents, and it was such a relief that someone noticed I was lost. :smile:

Also, I was buying a present for my mum today and the girl at the counter massively undercharged me. I thought for a moment she'd made a mistake, but as I handed my money over she just gave me this smile and I realised she had done it on purpose. I know she's probably on shaky moral grounds on account of kind of stealing from her work, but I like to think that maybe she's like a secret santa, giving sneaky discounts to random people (especially us poor students) to spread a little Christmas cheer. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
In France, I was trying to order a 2nd crepe for my brother. But my French is poor, not even primary school level. This bloke who saw me struggling translated for me.
That was cool.

I can't think of anymore, I'm usually the one doing the kindness for people.
Reply 52
When I was 12 years old I was hit by a motor bike while I was walking to school.
I lay in the road with a broken leg for a while, in shock. A very kind woman who lived in a house nearby took me into her house and looked after me until an ambulance came.
When I was in travelling in Vietnam one evening when I was walking back to my hotel a saw a beggar sitting in the road on the dark side of the main road. As I approached him I saw that his arms ended in rounded stumps, and so did his legs.
I don't know how he'd got there-I suppose someone brought him. I gave him some money; he smiled happily and gratefully, opening his bag with his arm stumps and putting the money inside.
I walked on, feeling mean and humbled by his cheerfulness. I then felt very upset that I hadn't given him more money, walked back and gave him more-I can't remember how much but it might have been about a pound's worth of dong,which wasn't much to me.
When I got back to the hotel I wished I'd given him all the money I had with me, and I still do.
(edited 13 years ago)
Me and my family were in Scotland on holiday years ago, it was cold, very wet, windy, the late evening and we were trying to find a restaraunt to eat at. The only one we could find with the lights still on was a little sweet restaraunt run by old ladies - they had just closed up - but when they saw us in the doorway they told us to come in with cries of 'Oh the poor sweet bairns, we can't let you go hungry!' No joke O.O. Gave us a really cheap meal.

Ooh, also, last year in the summer I was 20p short of getting a Twister at an icecream van, but the guy said not to worry. Just remembered that :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
After having an accident and being taken to hospital, someone had donated their blood for me. I'm sure someone out there has had the same done for blood themselves and organs and more.

Oh, and I got offered a mint too by a stranger.
I was about 4 and couldn't swim yet so was paddling around in a swimming pool inside a rubber ring. I suddenly slipped through the middle and was sinking/flailing towards the bottom of the pool for what felt like a very long time before a man pulled me out by the arms.

... I guess he saved my life?
my first trip to London with my dad for a uni open day. We got to Euston tube station and it was packed and we didn't know how to use the oyster machine things, when a man gave us his zone 1-6 ticket, unused. He said he didnt need it anymore and we could have it :smile: i was like "awww see dad, Londoners are lovely!"
Original post by lonely14
:erm: but that's your act of kindness.

"What is one act of kindness that you received from a stranger?" :smile:

i know the question... can't think of any kindness for me :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by big-boss-91
i know the question... can't think of any kindness for me :frown:

I just gave you + rep. :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Not sure if this counts but when I was little me and my parents were eating at one of their friends houses where there were other guests as well. I accidentally knocked over a glass which smashed and I was about to cry (I was quite the bed wetter in those days) and straightaway this women who I'd never met was like to the host, 'Oh I'm so sorry, clumsy me' and pretended that she had knocked it over.

Quick Reply

Latest