The Student Room Group

What is one act of kindness that you recieved from a stranger?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Law123mus
I was attacked once for no reason (it happens a lot where i live) and was getting a pretty heavy beating with planks of wood. It was in a long street and 3 cars passed but didn't stop, I also saw people peering out their windows but did nothing. Anyway after struggling against the 3 thugs I managed to get to my feet and knock one down and started running, they chased me, as i got to the top of the street a stranger who was walking his dog (rotwieler) ran down to help me and we both chased them away. Apparently he had seen it from the top of the hill and said he would have got their quicker if he could run faster. He even let me in his house and then took me to hospital.

Strange events happenning in wherever you live. How the hell ca be someone attacked and his neighbours watch cowardly. It makes me sick.:angry:
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
nothing, nothing at all

So far. Edmund D. said: "Wait and hope."
I will tell you one act of kindness I did for a stranger;
I was at a maths competition and the only other girl (Who knew that math was so sexist!!!!) went to the toilet at the same break as me. On the way back I was behind her and saw her skirt was tucked in her knickers. So I told her, and saved her looking like a fool :smile:

Why neg for this? It was a very good deed!
Or is it about maths being sexist? Which it is....
(edited 13 years ago)
There are loads for me! Like the time my oyster card wasn't working and some lady paid for my bus fare. Or most recently this summer, when I left my bag which had all of my valuable possessions in a train going to York (I was in Leeds at that time), and a man that worked there went out of his way for me to help me get it back. He also gave me a free ticket back to London, because my money had run out. I was so thankful; if it wasn't for him I would have been stranded at York. Thank you kind stranger! :smile:
One time an elderly lady dropped her coins, I rushed over, (I think she assumed was going to take it), but my intentions were to help her pick them back up. And I did, the smile she gave was very warming... ahh random acts of kindness..
An old man tipped his hat when he opened the door to M&S for me. How cute! :biggrin:
This thread is a good read, I love it :smile:

It was a rainy day and as I was walking down the slippery steps into Oxford Street station I slipped and fell on my butt :colondollar: (bad converses, bad!). About 6 guys in their suits immediately came to help me up :wink: I thought it was sweet. It's just I can't see any guy in my sixth form doing something like that.. not chilvalrous at all.
I love this thread :smile:

At my school, we do a sponsored walk round all the countryside every year, and everybody in the school dresses up and stuff, its really fun. Last year, me and my friend had to sit by a field and direct everyone the right way, and this random farmer dude came up to us and was like 'can you tell me what the hell is going on', but in a nice way - he found it really funny. we explained and he went off, then at the end of the day, he came back and gave us a tenner each to give to the charity (sponsored walk) cos he said seeing a thousand people walk past his feild all dressed up and having a great time made his day :smile:

I'll never forget him :smile:
i remember it was snowing once and i was getting the bus home but was a pound short and i was in tears then this nice lady gave me pound :smile:

Also, once the bus driver let me on the bus for free after i lost my ticket :colondollar:
Nothing too impressive, but once I was in Asda a few years ago looking at biscuits because I have an obsession with chocolate bourbons and asda did a packet for 15p :biggrin: This guy came up behind me, gave me 3 quid and said 'buy yourself some better biscuits'
It was embarrassing at the time but looking back it was dead nice of him. :biggrin:
Original post by heartimplode

Original post by heartimplode
This thread is a good read, I love it :smile:

It was a rainy day and as I was walking down the slippery steps into Oxford Street station I slipped and fell on my butt :colondollar: (bad converses, bad!). About 6 guys in their suits immediately came to help me up :wink: I thought it was sweet. It's just I can't see any guy in my sixth form doing something like that.. not chilvalrous at all.

Conclusion: six men found you very attractive. Or maybe they were just nice people.
Sounds like an unlikely story but..
On holiday in Spain when I was about 7 or 8 an old man collapsed on me, my ankle acting like a break from his fall (if my ankle wasn't there he would've cracked his skull). He was dying so me and my sister got taken away with what seemed like his wife and my parents done cpr and whatnot. I noticed my ankle was bleeding and I was getting flustered so the wife calmed me down and gave me a plaster. She was so lovely and was so calm about the situation... I hope that man didn't pass there and I hope the wife is doing well :smile:
Me and my sis got swept out into the sea by a strong current when we were quite little, and i wasn't a very good swimmer. I completely panicked and my big sis (who was only about 8 or 9 at the time) was trying to keep both of us above the waves. Then this lovely man swam out and grabbed both of us and brought us back to the beach :smile: I was so grateful cos i've never been a good swimmer and my and my sis were about to go under when he got to us.

Love that man whoever he is :love:

Another smaller one was when there was a massive storm and i stood out in the pouring rain for an hour and a half for a bus, when it came the driver let me on for free :smile:
This noble man, when I was aged 6, gave me 15p for an Aero when my Mother was about to put it back as we did we did not have enough money (circa 1998 near Heanor.) My family were quite poor at the time and I am still overwhelmed by this random act of kindness.
Reply 114
A group of us went to Budapest over Easter and were hunting for a hostel. We'd got there a day earlier than planned, and the one we'd booked for the next day was full that night, so we tried the one downstairs. The guy had no rooms left, but made loads of phone calls to find us a really cheap apartment for the night. He then took us on a free tour of the area and found us something really nice to eat. All for nothing!
Reply 115

When in Portugal, I was crossing the road, and I got run over by this woman driving a Mercedes.

No one but one woman who was standing on the sidewalk decided to help me, she even took me home and slapped the woman who runned me over!

Couple months later, She and my Mom became best friends.
I was lost in Canada and asked a middle-aged Irish lady for directions. She hailed a cab and dropped me off. On the way she told me that her son was my age and is a director currently shooting a film in Africa. She said she hoped someone would help him if he was lost or in need like I was. I thanked her and offered to pay my way but she declined. I always wondered who her son was after that and the act of kindness stays with me and reminds me that the human race isn't completely devoid of morals. :-) Thanks lady!
Can't think of anything that's happend to me but this thread is making me feel a whole lot better about life!

I usually abide by the saying - People=****...but maybe, not anymore :biggrin:
in the summer my two friends and me went to Paris for a few days. The first day we went up the Eiffel Tower and when we came back down and were standing in the square under it, some random guy came up to us and gave us each a rose that he'd just bought us. it was so sweet, although also pretty embarassing because i thought he was trying to sell them to us, so i was standing there waving him away going, no thanks... oops :colondollar: also on that trip, one of my friends dropped her travelcard thing and some guy noticed and followed us for ages to give it back. i love french people :biggrin:
Reply 119

First, when I was 11 and had missed the bus to school. I was terrified (first time I'd got the bus alone and I had no idea where to go if I missed it) and sat at the stop crying for about a hour. A lovely old lady stopped to help me, made sure I got the next bus, told me which stop I needed to get off at and gave me directions so I could get to school. Turns out my mum had panicked when I didn't show for school (as mums do) and the head of year was out looking for me!

Second was when I went to buy a new car in Manchester last year. I don't know the city and I thought my new car had broken down on the way back (turns out it was fine in the end). My phone was dead and I was lost in the city centre at about 10pm in November. A man and his wife/girlfriend stopped to help me, calmed me down, let me borrow his phone to call the AA and even gave me £3 so I could use the nearby phonebox if I needed to. He offered to wait with me 'til they came, but I couldn't ask him to do that when he'd done so much already! I can't thank them enough - I wish I'd taken his name and address so I could have repaid him.

Quick Reply

Latest