Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In this experiment what are the control, dependent and the independent variables? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm just revising for my Physics AS level coursework tomorrow which I know will be about the "resistance of a wire" experiment, as detailed here:

http://www.freestudentstuff.co.uk/GC...Coursework.htm

and I just wanted to ask;

in this experiment what are the control, dependent and the independent variables?

Im pretty sure that the independent one is the length of wire, but im unsure about the rest....

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Dependent will be the current and voltage (and therefore the resistance).
    Controls include things such as keeping the cross-sectional area of the wire the same (basically just use the same wire), temperature (which is mainly controlled by switching the circuit on/off between readings), the voltage supplied and all of the component in the circuit must be kept the same.

ReputationRep:
    In general, just remember this:

the independent variable is the things that you are changing

dependent variables are the things that change when you change the independent variable

controlled variables are all the other things you could change but are not, and they should not be affected by your changing of the independent variable either

In the link you provided to this experiment, it tells you that

"The variable marked with a * will be varied, the other input variables will be kept constant. The output variable marked with a † will be measured."

and shows

Length of wire. *
      Resistance of the wire. †

That should answer your question in conjunction with what the others have said here.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.