Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me calculate the break even point,

Say the fixed cost =100
    Selling price =5
    total Variable cost=100
    Predicted Sales =50 units
    Capacity to produce = 100 units

I apply the formula, Fixed Cost/(selling price - variable cost per unit)

But I am confused whether to divide the variable cost by 50 as this is the predicted sales or do I divide it by the capacity to produce of 100? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with the capacity rather than predicted sales, but I may be wrong ...

Variable cost per unit: 100 units / £100 = £1

Therefore: 100/(5 - 1) = 25

25 units need to be sold to break even.

If you went with predicted sales the break-even point would be 33.33 ... and these calculations usually culminate in a round figure.

Also predicted sales are just a prediction. A company that only produced enough to meet predicted sales would run the risk of failing to meet demand. The exception to this is JIT production where the process is so streamlined that products are created only when they are ordered to save on stock holding costs.

I think that's the answer ... sorry it's long-winded! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Student)
    I'd go with the capacity rather than predicted sales, but I may be wrong ...

Variable cost per unit: 100 units / £100 = £1

Therefore: 100/(5 - 1) = 25

25 units need to be sold to break even.

If you went with predicted sales the break-even point would be 33.33 ... and these calculations usually culminate in a round figure.

Also predicted sales are just a prediction. A company that only produced enough to meet predicted sales would run the risk of failing to meet demand. The exception to this is JIT production where the process is so streamlined that products are created only when they are ordered to save on stock holding costs.

I think that's the answer ... sorry it's long-winded! :-)
    Ok thats thats what I thought as well do other people agree or disagree?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.