Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the harsh reality that we are not all equal? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the harsh reality that were not all equal?
    Yes, the truth is were not all equal.
    85.00%
    No, were all equal.
    13.00%
    I haven't got an opinion on this.
    2.00%

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps in God's eyes were all equal, but right now on this planet, everything seems to be survival of the fittest.

- People are born more attractive than others. The most attractive not only have a much better chance of mating, but not only that they can use their appearance to gain advantages. Making money, popularity or being naturally more favoured above others.

- Some are more naturally intelligent than others. They're able to grasp calculations and theory with ease, where as most have to strive and study to get a general understanding.

- Some are born naturally talented, whether it be music, art, or sports, whilst others have to practice and work hard just to match their level of skill.

- Some individuals have a different levels of mental strength, by this I mean. Whilst some people's moods and emotions are easily knocked down, they become depressed and lack motivation to pick themselves up. Whilst others much more easily get back on their feet, and strive to get back on top things.

- Probably the most common difference on TSR, is the difference is social skills.
    Whilst a lot of people find it easy to make a good amount of friends and can easily interact with the opposite sex. On a daily base there are threads from the socially awkward, who have difficulty in this area.

- People are naturally stronger and taller than others. The fact that there are school bullies and the sort, suggests that from an early age some of us dominate the alpha-male position.

Naturally I get there is a great deal of out environmental influence. I dunno, I'm just bored and venting my thoughts.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    We aren't all equal. Nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    Are we literally all equal? No. Should we treat each other as equals? In most cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Are we literally all equal? No. Should we treat each other as equals? In most cases.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Decides what matters: wealth, fame, favourability or reproduction.. I think personal 'enlightenment' (for lack of a better word) is more important than any of these. So I couldn't measure fairness on those scales.

I think all we can do in life is find our own meaning, rather than mass delusion, and perhaps help some others on the way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think equality should mean that we are all exactly the same. Just that there should be basic rights that all should have. We're all individuals and different but untill proven otherwise (criminals and bullies etc) we should all be treated with respect.
    I don't really know how to articulate myself on this and have proably sounded like an idiot. :/

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's harsh, but life would be too boring and somehow meaningless if everyone was equal to each other. Just imagine.

ReputationRep:
    If we were all equal, wouldn't life be boring? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    The harsh reality is that we are not born equal, but we do deserve equal rights. Though, as many have contended, is it right for everyone to have the vote? Even those who are so uneducated/ignorant that their vote is essentially meaningless?

ReputationRep:
    We're not all equal but some can put their talent to waste while others may work their arses off without any natural skills. With what are vaguely equal opportunities in the UK, people need to work harder than others to achieve something. That's always going to be the case, even in a perfect communist state, unless we all become clones

ReputationRep:
    Well no we are not all equal in that we are not all the same, but in terms of the value of a human life, you could argue there is equality there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't class it as a 'harsh' reality because its so blatantly obvious.

If everyone was a clone it would be one hell of a boring world.

ReputationRep:
    Does this proof god don't exist or proof that he's sadistic?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of what is said in the OP is down to the nurture side of things. The rest can be down to the genetic chance, but then it is down to you to make it a help or a hinderance. There are different schools of thought, and it should never be used as an excuse.

"I am naturally quite aesthetically pleasing, perhaps I can get away with doing less work than others while still achieving the same levels of success" - This may create a drop in out-put for the attractive person who does not go on to fulfill their potential.

"I am quite the ugly duckling, and that handsome fellow over there is getting all the attention from the tail despite having very little substance. I vow to work my hardest to fill my wallet full of cash, bed full of *****es, and life full of win" - In this scenario the less attractive person has pinned a picture of his ugly face to the ceiling above his bed, so that he has to look at himself every night as he lays awake as a virgin, determined to do well in education and get himself a great job.

Very inspiring.

On the other hand the ugly guy could spend all his time feeling sorry for himself and go on to achieve absolutely nothing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    We're not all equal.
    But that doesn't mean we should treat people unequally, provided that the reason why they are different is beyond their control (i.e. skin colour/gender).
    If they've done something themselves which has lead to them being unequal then take that into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Does this proof god don't exist or proof that he's sadistic?
    That's for theology and religion forum I guess lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    I don't think equality should mean that we are all exactly the same. Just that there should be basic rights that all should have. We're all individuals and different but untill proven otherwise (criminals and bullies etc) we should all be treated with respect.
    I don't really know how to articulate myself on this and have proably sounded like an idiot. :/

(Original post by lonely14)
    I agree it's harsh, but life would be too boring and somehow meaningless if everyone was equal to each other. Just imagine.
    Yes, it's horrific, but quite a lot of people long for that kind of world where basically no one notices differences between people, where we don't even recognise gender, for example.

(Original post by INTJ)
    The harsh reality is that we are not born equal, but we do deserve equal rights. Though, as many have contended, is it right for everyone to have the vote? Even those who are so uneducated/ignorant that their vote is essentially meaningless?
    Yea, it's an interesting issue. I'm not sure what the law is in the UK but in some places "people" who are medically spaztarded or have a sufficiently low IQ are not given a vote. It's the same reason we don't let children vote - they have such limited perception and understanding of society. It's the same reason women were not allowed to vote for a long time.
    Even if we let every member of our species vote, why not other animals? And you could go on.

(Original post by limetang)
    Well no we are not all equal in that we are not all the same, but in terms of the value of a human life, you could argue there is equality there.
    Value? What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    we aren't all equal, that's why equality is there and should always be there if not then the world would be a boring place

ReputationRep:
    This is TSR. HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT NOT EVERYBODY IS EQUAL!!!!!

/sarcasm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.