Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

who else hopes England's World cup Bid..... Watch

ReputationRep:
    falls flat on its face?

shameful scenes the past few days of Cameron, Beckham and Prince William being wheeled about to the nearest Fifa official with the promise gifts and presents in exchange for votes.

The fifa world cup is like a blood sucking insect, it moves from continent to continent country to country, bringing in their "commercial partners" to syphon off the extra revenue created by the event and keep it for themselves.

Regulations imposed by football's world governing body Fifa on host countries stipulate that no-one but its commercial partners be allowed trade or promote their products in the immediate vicinity of all World Cup sites.

Fines and jail terms for people breaking this rule

ReputationRep:
    I really dont care, either way. I hate football. It baffles me how people can make such a big deal about a game that involves kicking a ball into a net.

(Original post by Duncan Idaho)
      falls flat on its face?

shameful scenes the past few days of Cameron, Beckham and Prince William being wheeled about to the nearest Fifa official with the promise gifts and presents in exchange for votes.

The fifa world cup is like a blood sucking insect, it moves from continent to continent country to country, bringing in their "commercial partners" to syphon off the extra revenue created by the event and keep it for themselves.

Regulations imposed by football's world governing body Fifa on host countries stipulate that no-one but its commercial partners be allowed trade or promote their products in the immediate vicinity of all World Cup sites.

Fines and jail terms for people breaking this rule
      What is happening in football is like a microcosm of capitalism itself. Professional football has always had a business dimension but more recently it has become so driven by money-grubbing aims that the football itself is just a vehicle for sponsorship and revenue streams. It's the same with the Olympics, these things have turned into money-spinning orgies, leeching off what used to be a noble spectacle.

ReputationRep:
      The 2022 bid is much more interesting. Qatar, Australia and the USA (South Korea and Japan don't stand a chance, they've just had a world cup)

ReputationRep:
      No. It would be awesome. Can you imagine the atmosphere?

Why would you put your personal dislike about the way FIFA conduct themselves ahead of the potential joy of millions of people in this country?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
      The 2022 bid is much more interesting. Qatar, Australia and the USA (South Korea and Japan don't stand a chance, they've just had a world cup)
      So have the US, for all intents and purposes. I hope Qatar win that one. I don't see the point in taking world cups to highly developed nations like the US and Australia where football already gets plenty of exposure, but still comes a distant third to several other sports.

ReputationRep:
      You seem to have a really bad habit of posting nonsense OP seriously. Worse things happen in the world of capitalism than that. Child labour in the far east and India anybody?

The event creates revenue for the host country in the hospitality and retail sectors. They can't tell Tescos and Sainsburys to stop supplying Yazoo milkshakes because they're not a FIFA Commercial Partner.

I sincerely hope we get the World Cup. South Africa was terrible, so I know we're more than likely to make up for that. More so than the likes of Russia :lol:

ReputationRep:
      Your dislike of fifa doesn't mean the bid should fall down.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Surely the bid is a good thing economical? If not someone explain to me why

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by py0alb)
      So have the US, for all intents and purposes. I hope Qatar win that one. I don't see the point in taking world cups to highly developed nations like the US and Australia where football already gets plenty of exposure, but still comes a distant third to several other sports.
      Oh yeah I totally want it to go to Qatar too. It blatantly will as well. It's like South Africa. It's all about making history etc. Also they have Mr. Coup de Tête supporting the bid

ReputationRep:
      England do not need a world cup.

ReputationRep:
      I don't hope it fails, I just hope that whoever has the best bid wins, whether or not that is England.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
      England do not need a world cup.
      I think you'll find no country needs the world cup. Were the world cup to stop existing I'm pretty sure life would carry on as normal wherever you are.

ReputationRep:
      Eurgh... Olympics in 2012, two rugby world cups in 2013 and 2015 then a football world cup in 2018? So much wasted time on sport. Not sure about the economic arguments but I for one want it to fall flat because people get annoyingly obsessed with football every day, let alone in foreign world cups. Imagine how much it will suck if we host it?

ReputationRep:
      If England did get the World Cup I think there will be a hell of a lot more pressure than normal on the England side to perform.

I'm not too fussed if England get the cup to be honest, the only thing that annoys me is the pointless construction of new stadia like Plymouth & Bristol City.

ReputationRep:
      Hell yes. When do we know?

ReputationRep:
      I hope the Spain-Portugal bid gets it. The downside for us is that we've had it in 1982, which is relatively recent. I don't know, I've got a feeling that Russia is gonna get it. New market, big country, great opportunities... But after South Africa and Brazil, a World Cup in Spain-Portugal / England would be less risky and cheaper, as most of the infrastructure is ready.

As to 2022... Qatar is the favourite but I don't really like the bid.

ReputationRep:
      I HOPE THE GET THE WORLD CUP.

England has no right to expect us to have a world cup winning team in the near future so anyone saing thats why we shouldn't win it is talkink balogne

ReputationRep:
      Those who believe Britian will not benefit by hosting the World Cup need to study basic economics. Yes, hosting the World Cup has inevitablly roused suspition among non-football fans, this primarily due to the corruption and capitalist nature of the process. But it will give Britain a chance to show the world how great our country is and we able to cope on a world stage. Even if you detest the game you should stll be able to see the overwhelming benefits rather than the negatives.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Alexr115)
      If England did get the World Cup I think there will be a hell of a lot more pressure than normal on the England side to perform.

I'm not too fussed if England get the cup to be honest, the only thing that annoys me is the pointless construction of new stadia like Plymouth & Bristol City.
      I agree with this totally. I go to Plymouth Uni and the Herald said we had our lowest gate of 4,000 at the last match. They can't fill a 10,500 capacity arena to save their lives so what the point wasting money on an even bigger venue?!?!?!

(Original post by Rob da Mop)
      Eurgh... Olympics in 2012, two rugby world cups in 2013 and 2015 then a football world cup in 2018? So much wasted time on sport. Not sure about the economic arguments but I for one want it to fall flat because people get annoyingly obsessed with football every day, let alone in foreign world cups. Imagine how much it will suck if we host it?
      You do know the World Cup only lasts for 30 days.......right? Way to go over exaggerate it's hype.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.