Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Re-Applying. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking for a little advice on my situation.
    Basically it all starts with my GCSEs, I didn't put nearly enough effort into any of them.
    Only revising for a few hours in the week before and so on. Came out of that with very average marks after I was predicted fairly good ones.
    I then got into art college and copped out of that too, scraping by and blagging the tutors into giving me better marks than I deserved. After college I went to Uni for 5-6 months before being overwhelmed with all the work and dropping out. There were other reasons for dropping out; an LDR, immaturity and videogame, weed and internet 'addictions'. (as far as addiction in those areas goes but these aren't a problem anymore.)
    I've really grown up in the time I've been out of education, got some industry experience and lived on my own successfully and happily and now I think I'm ready to go back to Uni.
    The thing I'm worried about is how the average-bad grades will affect me now.
    I have 1 or 2 Bs and 6 or 7 Cs at GCSE and a BTEC national diploma in Media Art: MPP.
    When I applied to Uni the first time, I was short about 60-80 UCAS points for the course but they took me on anyway. Is this normal?
    Would it be worth doing a foundation course of some sort before going for a degree now that I'm really interested in applying myself?
    I'm hoping to get a degree in Illustration/Visual Communication at Birmingham or Coventry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe email the unis that you're intereste din explaining your situation as each institution will look upon your situation in different ways?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.