Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I'm rocking a 32" Toshiba 1080P LCD, but recently, I've been drawn into all this 3D TV hype and was considering buying one. I've found (what I think is) a good deal on the Curry's website - a 50" 1080P 3D Samsung Plasma with a 3D Blu-Ray player, two pairs of 3D glasses and a Shred 3D Blu-Ray, for just shy of £900. Do you guys think it'd be worth investing in? I'd quite like to futureproof myself with 3D, as I was quite late to the party with HD.

Also, as I'm probably going to want to take it to university with me, do you think it'd be too big for my room in halls? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to fit my current 32 incher into a standard sized student dorm, but I'm not sure whether a 50 incher would be practical (or possible).

Anyway, yeah, think some thoughts about my dilemme, then type them out and hit 'reply to thread'. CHEERS.

ReputationRep:
    No point now.

Too big for halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    No point now.

Too big for halls.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    At the moment, I'm rocking a 32" Toshiba 1080P LCD, but recently, I've been drawn into all this 3D TV hype and was considering buying one. I've found (what I think is) a good deal on the Curry's website - a 50" 1080P 3D Samsung Plasma with a 3D Blu-Ray player, two pairs of 3D glasses and a Shred 3D Blu-Ray, for just shy of £900. Do you guys think it'd be worth investing in? I'd quite like to futureproof myself with 3D, as I was quite late to the party with HD.

Also, as I'm probably going to want to take it to university with me, do you think it'd be too big for my room in halls? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to fit my current 32 incher into a standard sized student dorm, but I'm not sure whether a 50 incher would be practical (or possible).

Anyway, yeah, think some thoughts about my dilemme, then type them out and hit 'reply to thread'. CHEERS.
    I actually got this exact TV with the Blu Ray player and 5 pairs of glasses a month ago tomorrow. I can say, it's fantastic and has a lot of nifty tricks up its sleeves. It is rather large though, larger than you think so you'd have to anticipate the size of your room. As for 3D content, you're not short of it if you have a PS3 or 360 and have Black Ops or a similar 3D game like GT5.

For a family home, it's well worth the money. However, for uni halls, it maybe a bit too big.

ReputationRep:
    It has no value whatsoever to me as I can't see in "3D".
    If you think 3DTV is a big improvement then get it, if not stick to normal TVs which don't hurt the eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    I actually got this exact TV with the Blu Ray player and 5 pairs of glasses a month ago tomorrow. I can say, it's fantastic and has a lot of nifty tricks up its sleeves. It is rather large though, larger than you think so you'd have to anticipate the size of your room. As for 3D content, you're not short of it if you have a PS3 or 360 and have Black Ops or a similar 3D game like GT5.

For a family home, it's well worth the money. However, for uni halls, it maybe a bit too big.
    Yeah, I didn't really think it'd be big enough for uni halls tbh. Looks like it's back to my 14" CRT TV when I go to uni then.

So, the 3D effect is good? I've seen a few 3D films, is it anything like them? And yeah, the games (GT5, mainly) are one of the main reasons I thought of getting a 3D TV - I've heard good things about GT5 in 3D.

ReputationRep:
    I watched Jackass 3D which was unreal, Dildos flying at your face is pretty funny. But is the 3D experience anything like this while sitting at home on a 3D TV.

I'm looking at the same deal as you, will just need to wait and see

ReputationRep:
    Wait a year or two, by then 3D might actually look half decent at home... or for that matter, in the cinema. It is long from being perfect, and shelling out thousands right now for an LED backlit piece of plastic is just going to hurt your eyes more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
    I watched Jackass 3D which was unreal, Dildos flying at your face is pretty funny. But is the 3D experience anything like this while sitting at home on a 3D TV.

Yeah, that's the thing - is it comparable to watching a 3D film in the cinema? Apparently you can try out the 3D TVs in Currys and PC World, so I might just pop in after college tomorrow and give it a go. If it's crap, I'll probably just buy a cheaper, non-3D set. :/

ReputationRep:
    At the moment its not worth it, unless your buying it solely for 3D gaming using the PS3, 3D channels are very limited if any, films in 3D at the moment isnt worth it, its technology in progress, its not worth opting in now when its at its early stages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    At the moment its not worth it, unless your buying it solely for 3D gaming using the PS3, 3D channels are very limited if any, films in 3D at the moment isnt worth it, its technology in progress, its not worth opting in now when its at its early stages.
    Obviously there's not loads of 3D content out there at the moment, but the amount is steadily increasing all the time. Sky broadcast a decent amount of 3D content, including lots of live footy (which apparently makes good use of the 3D effect); more and more games (like GT 5 and Black Ops) utilise 3D; and the major 3D films are being released on Blu Ray at about the same price as their 2D counterparts. I think my main issue is whether it's worth the extra money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I didn't really think it'd be big enough for uni halls tbh. Looks like it's back to my 14" CRT TV when I go to uni then.

So, the 3D effect is good? I've seen a few 3D films, is it anything like them? And yeah, the games (GT5, mainly) are one of the main reasons I thought of getting a 3D TV - I've heard good things about GT5 in 3D.
    (Original post by Mr-Dangerous)

Yes to both. The demo Blu Ray we got was Monsters vs Aliens, and you actually lurch back at the start when the paddle ball comes towards you. It doesn't replace being in the cinema, but the effect is exactly the same. Sky 3D offers the same sort of content, the football and rugby is excellent and the setting to turn 3D on for standard content does work, but it's not really comparable to the true 3D stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    Yes to both. The demo Blu Ray we got was Monsters vs Aliens, and you actually lurch back at the start when the paddle ball comes towards you. It doesn't replace being in the cinema, but the effect is exactly the same. Sky 3D offers the same sort of content, the football and rugby is excellent and the setting to turn 3D on for standard content does work, but it's not really comparable to the true 3D stuff.
    You're swaying me in the direction of 3D now! :p: So, the football's good in 3D? Have you played any games in 3D?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd probably leave 3D for a bit and see if it really takes off and if it does see what happens with the technology.

Overall there are at least three different methods used for 3D films. Cinema can use two different methods at present (polarization and a system based on colours - like the red and blue glasses but with more in colour) and I believe TV's currently use a third (glasses with shutters in them).

Whilst there have been a few films doing 3D over the last year it's not clear whether it's really going to take off within cinema - 3D films have been tried in the past and never took off.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a few years, until they get cheaper and the technology advances a little bit more

Obviously there's not loads of 3D content out there at the moment, but the amount is steadily increasing all the time. Sky broadcast a decent amount of 3D content, including lots of live footy (which apparently makes good use of the 3D effect); more and more games (like GT 5 and Black Ops) utilise 3D; and the major 3D films are being released on Blu Ray at about the same price as their 2D counterparts. I think my main issue is whether it's worth the extra money.
      It's what you said yourself, you could justify spending the money to future-proof yourself. However, I'd leave it for another year, by then it should be like what happened to HD and be much lower in price.

ReputationRep:
      You're swaying me in the direction of 3D now! :p: So, the football's good in 3D? Have you played any games in 3D?
      The sports events are excellent. When a camera looks over a crowd you have all of these waving hands zooming out of the television. It really does feel quite lifelike.

For gaming, I've so far played the p*ss poor 3D patch of Ridge Racer, but Black Ops in 3D, while a little disorienting at first, now appears more real than when I play it in my bedroom. The single downside is that the glasses darken the screen, but that can be sorted by upping the brightness on the TV.

If you're unsure, I'd say leave it for a while. More and more TVs like the Samsung will appear for the same price or lower. Use your Toshiba until the middle of next year and get a 3DTV then. The only reason we got the 3D and upgraded to Sky HD and 3D was that our old TV broke.

ReputationRep:
      Thats the thing its at its early stages, its best to wait a few years, that way, you wont have a tv that's gonna be outdated pretty quickly, not to mention it would come down in price later on.

I wouldn't get one personally even if i had the money, cause i know in a few years they'l probably eliminate the need of 3d glasses but have it built into the panel, better features and functionality and so on.

ReputationRep:

CRTs have better contrast and brightness levels (the brightness on flat panel displays looks so "faked" as you can see the backlight).

3D really isn't worth it. 3D formats and standards I'm pretty sure haven't been finalised yet (so your 3D TV may be useless in a few years' time if the formats are changed), they give several people headaches (and they don't work at all with people who've had eye operations, like myself), it's come way too soon after HD, so many people will be reluctant to buy a new set so soon after HD, and those still with CRTs are reluctant to go for newer TVs just because it is newer tech, such as my family. In my family, we all use electronic items until they drop dead, except computers, which we obviously replace or update every few years.

Plus, I'm a collector of vintage electronics, so I'm bound to use an 80s CRT TV.

"3D" isn't actually "3D" anyway. It still requires a screen. Holographic TV, which is still being developed, is *proper* 3D.

As the future of 3D is still very uncertain, if you want future-proofing, go HD.

I certainly won't get one. I can think of far better things to spend my money on than a TV set. Being much more of a radio person, I'd be happy with a black and white set, even though I do have a colour one.

ReputationRep:
      I think you should wait a while, right now prices are at their highest because it's new to the market.

Also, the technology is developing very quickly and at this time a new TV will become outdated quite quickly.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.