Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep anon as it's a sensitive subject to me.

Title says it all. How do I stop binge eating?! I've been following a healthy diet and have successfully lost weight - I am now a healthy weight. However lately I've been binging more and more regularly. I don't purge afterwards, this isn't an eating disorder as such. How can I stop? It's really getting me down now, I feel like I'm undoing all my good work. I already eat regularly. Distraction techniques don't work because I literally don't give myself time to think, I just want to eat, grab whatever and gobble it down without so much as a second thought. I feel extremely guilty afterwards. I hate myself for this. It happens mostly in evenings. Does anybody else experience this?

Please help me stop!

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say it, but just because you dont purge doesnt mean it isnt an eating disorder.

At what times do you eat? Maybe you arent having enough to eat later on in the day?

Also when you binge why do you do it? Boredom? Hunger? When you're upset? You need to establish your triggers.

How long has this been going on and how often?

(Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I hate to say it, but just because you dont purge doesnt mean it isnt an eating disorder.

At what times do you eat? Maybe you arent having enough to eat later on in the day?

Also when you binge why do you do it? Boredom? Hunger? When you're upset? You need to establish your triggers.

Thank you for your reply .

I really don't think it's an eating disorder. I guess you tend to associate eating disorders with being either very underweight or overweight. I'm just about average really, think my BMI is about 22.

I thought that perhaps I wasn't eating enough in the day so I now eat regularly.

I don't really know why I do it. I guess it must be out of habit. It's like as soon as evening comes I'm just constantly wondering what I can eat next. I try to not eat after a certain time and tell myself that it's healthy but I just can't stick to it. It's not out of hunger that I'm eating ,it's literally see the food and eat it as quick as I can.I think I do comfort eat, I wish I was one of those people who eat less when they're stressed! When I've 'binged' I feel extremely guilty adn know that I've ruined my diet and healthy eating.

I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to have a low BMI to have an eating disorder...thats one of the most common misconceptions.

Have you tried not doing it...I know its hard, but I mean 100% focussed and said right TODAY im not going to do it.
    Mine was the opposite, not eating at all when stressed, but I know how difficult it is to break such bad habits. Or do you not really try to stop it and just do it?

Feel free to PM me if you like, I wont judge you...Lord knows my relationship with food hasnt been great in the past. Hope you're ok x

ReputationRep:
    Just because you BMI is healthy doesn't mean you can't have an eating disorder. You could have binge eating disorder or bulimia if you compensate for binges by fasting/ over exercising, even if you don't purge. If you lost weight by restricting a lot, now that you're trying to eat normally again it could be that your body is trying to get all the food it can in case it gets starved again. I suggest you try to get some professional help if things don't improve; it can be hard to tackle eating problems alone. Alternatively, you could try reading some self-help books. Hope you're OK, feel free to PM if you want to talk x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)

Agreed! Also did you find out if that guy was a spy?

ReputationRep:
    Eating disorders are bad relationships with food that harm your body and mental well being, thereofre it is very likely you could have one. i have anorexia and i went through stages of binge eating and then starving myself. Eevery time i binged i felt like absolute **** (sorry about language). I eventually just got rid of the habit, i started to be alone less in the house and tried to put myself into situations where there was limited amounts of food or people watching. I understand how frustrating it can be to jsut want to stop and not be able to.
    When i went to counciling the woman said that you want to stop binging but you cant and the reason for that is that your body thinks its being starved so part of your brain just tells your body to take as much food as poosible incase it doesnt get to eat for a while again.
    Whilst its obvious you havent been starving yourself and are losing weight healthily its a shock for your body to change its diet and eat less (or more healthy foods) thereofr eit could be going into instinct mood and taking what it can when it can.
    Thats just the explanation i got although i understand circumstances are very different. If you need to talk feel free to pm xx

ReputationRep:
    Try drinking two glasses of water before and after you binge. This works for me sometimes because it fills me up and it's always good to drink water anyway! Also, exercise but not to excess, anything you enjoy doing, make sure it's about fun and not about calorie-burning. Continue to eat regularly. This sounds stupid but try and feel a little less guilty about it. The guilt for me is the worst thing and sometimes it drives me to binge again because I feel so disgusting. I don't know how a person can get rid of guilt but I just try to take a few deep breaths, tell myself I'm not a disgusting person, and afterwards try to do something which I am good at or enjoy to counteract self-hatred. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I eat a lot, i love food!

ReputationRep:
    I do this too. The best thing I find is just don't have the food you binge on in the house. My fridge is literally full of fruit and veg. and I never buy junk. If I do, I just buy a small chocolate bar or a bag of crisps, and drink lots of water instead. I also started keeping a food diary so I can watch exactly what I'm eating - it helps.
    I also tend to eat more in the evenings, probably because I'm sitting around etc. Just drink lots of water or sugary tea, and force yourself to snack on fruit!

ReputationRep:
    I do this at times. Normally, I eat healthily and not a lot and I will not go out and buy snacks, but when there's chocolate around in the house I will eat a lot of it. When you go to snack on chocolate/biscuits/crisps etc., swap it for a yoghurt or a fruit/vegetable you really like. Recently, I've been putting my foot down and without the sugary crap and regular exercise, I feel much better about myself. It's never a good thing to totally cut a food group out, but try only having a certain amount of junk food per day.

I don't wish to scare you, but bulimia doesn't mean you make yourself chuck up. It can occur in people of a normal weight, or in people who are slightly overweight. Not saying you have it because I'm sure there are times when we all snack and feel guilty.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.