Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for RBS and I've got my phone interview coming up. In my online application I applied to:

UK & Ireland - RBS Group - Summer Internship Programme - Corporate & Institutional Banking - UK Wide

I'm 99% sure this is Banking division which includes corporate finance etc but I'm scared that it's not, given that in the careers section of the website it's called simply

• GBM Banking – you will gain real experience with rotations across Corporate Finance, Debt Capital Markets, Equities Origination, Sector & Country Coverage and Portfolio

Can anyone confirm that it's the same thing?

Plus any further inside on the division would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it's not the same thing - CIB (what you applied to) is different to GBM (Global Banking & Markets).

ReputationRep:
    Its the same mistake I made two years ago! The first one you mentioned is NOT part of the investment bank, but is still a decent job and pays good money. Hence it ISN'T corporate finance in the way you perceive.
    The second one IS part of the investment bank, and this is the internship which is equivalent to corporate finance at other banks.

ReputationRep:
    nvm

ReputationRep:
    rbs is ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidsmith)
    I applied for RBS and I've got my phone interview coming up. In my online application I applied to:

UK & Ireland - RBS Group - Summer Internship Programme - Corporate & Institutional Banking - UK Wide

I'm 99% sure this is Banking division which includes corporate finance etc but I'm scared that it's not, given that in the careers section of the website it's called simply

• GBM Banking – you will gain real experience with rotations across Corporate Finance, Debt Capital Markets, Equities Origination, Sector & Country Coverage and Portfolio

Can anyone confirm that it's the same thing?

Plus any further inside on the division would be helpful.
    It's not, i did my work experience at GBM. GBM is the investment bank, which includes corporate finance.

ReputationRep:

Shall I email them and tell them what happened? Or shall i cancel the application and start the correct one from scratch?

ReputationRep:
    You can just e-mail them and ask them to transfer your application to GBM. I did it but the other way round (GBM to CIB) and they did it straight away

ReputationRep:
    In terms of a general idea about CIB, I came across rbsintern.blogspot.co.uk; an intern accepted in the summer of 2012 in CIB is planning to write a day-to-day blog on his experiences, and has already written plenty about the application process. Check it out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.