Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything set in stone with regards to how high up from the ground you should be before you pull?

Is there a max height where being over that height just makes the pull ****ing stupid?

Currently I'm standing on the one plate which i reckon is an inch up, should i add more inches?

ReputationRep:
    It honestly depends on what you can pull from without losing a neutral spine. That's the main yardstick. I don't imagine you'll get much carryover from a deficit deadlift on more than 2 normal 20kg plates

ReputationRep:
    I usually see guys standing on 2 plates high.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The larger the deficit, the more the mechanics of the lift differ from a conventional deadlift. I don't think there's any point in using a huge deficit as a tool for increasing the regular deadlift because it feels too different... it's like standing on top of step ladder.

ReputationRep:
    Try rack deadlifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Is there anything set in stone with regards to how high up from the ground you should be before you pull?

Is there a max height where being over that height just makes the pull ****ing stupid?

Currently I'm standing on the one plate which i reckon is an inch up, should i add more inches?
    I lift from around a 4 inch defecit. Its enough to achieve the required result however my form changes in that my hips start lower. This is to maintain form, although not my competition form, and get more quad activation which, presumably you're doing defecits to help you off the floor, is whats needed.

Basically, adjust your form to lift safely, get the quads working and hit a new PB from the normal height

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I usually see guys standing on 2 plates high.
    You also see people squatting high and not touching chest on bench. Doesn't mean anything

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.