Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Treating thrush using natural pro-biotic yoghurt- Girls only Watch

Have any of you ever used it?

Does it work?

My thrush broke out recently after I bought some imperial leather shower gel which turns out not to have been ph balanced . The wording at the back of the bottle was misleading.

I have decided to try natural yoghurt rather than run back to my doctor. I bought some today and I'm hoping it will work. I have put some yoghurt on a sanitary towel and will sleep with it on over night.

I love greek yoghurt, it's really yummy. I hope I don't finish the tub before I finish treating it, otherwise back to the shops lol.

A friend of mine said her mum uses it, and apparently it works! I personally haven't tried it, good ol Canesten cream/Pessary does the trick!

ReputationRep:
    Bifidus Digestivum is a marketing ploy to get Girls into Yoghurt!

Poor you. Thrush is a bloody nightmare.
    Pro-biotic yogurt will definitely help however you might have a bit more luck by putting it on your fingers and putting it inside you rather than putting it on a sanitary towel.

Also garlic kills yeast on contact and will stop the discomfort.
    Crush a garlic clove and mix it with 1/2 cup of boiled then cooled water.
    Soak a cotton ball in the solution and put it inside yourself for 30seconds then take it out. Honestly the itching stops on contact.
    Also put a barrier cream down there so no discharge has any contact with the skin.

And just eat shed loads of yogurt.

Hope it clears soon

ReputationRep:
    I thought only boys do this :eek:

I use it as lube sometimes as well.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't use shower gel on your vagina in the first place.

As for the yoghurt thing, I have no idea. Worth a go instead of meds I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, you poor thing. I used to get this a lot as a kid.

Biopot and similar is supposed to work, but I've heard that drinking cranberry juice is really effective.

ReputationRep:
    You're puting yoghurt on you flange? I supose you could try some munch bunch or crunch corner.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Poor you. Thrush is a bloody nightmare.
    Pro-biotic yogurt will definitely help however you might have a bit more luck by putting it on your fingers and putting it inside you rather than putting it on a sanitary towel.

Also garlic kills yeast on contact and will stop the discomfort.
    Crush a garlic clove and mix it with 1/2 cup of boiled then cooled water.
    Soak a cotton ball in the solution and put it inside yourself for 30seconds then take it out. Honestly the itching stops on contact.
    Also put a barrier cream down there so no discharge has any contact with the skin.

And just eat shed loads of yogurt.

Hope it clears soon
    Thanks for your help. Do you think a tampon will be OK to use? Not sure how effective my finger will be in pushing it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    You're puting yoghurt on you flange? I supose you could try some munch bunch or crunch corner.
    Ha! - shows I didn't read the first post properly.

OP, you're meant to eat the yoghurt, not put it on your nether regions. And canesten is probably the most effective you can get,

ReputationRep:
    You could always get a frube and aim it...

And yeah, next time don't use shower gel down there, it doesn't like it :sad:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention never use shower gel, or anything perfumed, ie soap in your muff!! You're asking for trouble. I use to do it and I couldn't work out why I got Thrush. I now have two flannels for when I have a shower/bath; one for my body and the other for my nether region. Since I stopped using fragranced things down there, and wearing thongs (that use to get me thrush bad too), I haven't had it since.

(Original post by booksnob)
    Ha! - shows I didn't read the first post properly.

OP, you're meant to eat the yoghurt, not put it on your nether regions. And canesten is probably the most effective you can get,
    You can do both. Putting it on your nether regions can soothe the discomfort - but no it won't cure the problem.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your help. Do you think a tampon will be OK to use? Not sure how effective my finger will be in pushing it in.
    And yes a tampon will work fine

ReputationRep:
    Background: I've never written in a forum before but I felt that I had to for this. I've had vaginal thrush since I was a kid pretty much (I'm 25 now).

I ignored it mostly until recently when it was accompanied by itching and a constant need to go to the toilet.

The point: I fixed the itching and most of the thrush by simply drinking lots and lots of warm water and going to the loo. I'm talking like at least 8 glasses a day. Keep drinking and keep going to the loo to wash it out. It provides relief at least and helps fight the infection.

Ps. Avoid stupidly sweet things too.

ReputationRep:
    I've tired it before. It soothed it but that was it. I've found that tea tree oil on a tampon can help clear it, I've heard the same for coconut oil to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cotton underwear works wonders.

ReputationRep:
    Putting live yoghurt inside your vagina to treat both thrush but more so BV is an effective (at least in some) and medically recommended treatment - I have literally seen it prescribed as medical advice in GUM and gynae clinic (although on spurious evidence, the theory is present and there is no harm). So it is not just an old wives tale, and OP isn't wrong to place it directly inside.

The bacteria in live yoghurt do the same job as your natural flora (those are the ones which are washed out by vaginal douching, use of vaginal soaps, scents and deodorants) in combating harmful organisms which cause BV, and also potentially acting as rivals to thrush as well. Orally taking live yoghurt will have no effect as these bacteria are not capable of magically reaching your vagina intact from your digestive tract. (Although probiotics are thought to possibly assist in conditions caused by the same lack of natural flora in the gut).

It is essential however that you use plain (eg: NO SUGAR) live yoghurt. If you put sugar into your vagina, you are literally feeding yeast. Stop douching OP!

EDIT: ZOMBIE THREAD :rip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twoo)
    Background: I've never written in a forum before but I felt that I had to for this. I've had vaginal thrush since I was a kid pretty much (I'm 25 now).

I ignored it mostly until recently when it was accompanied by itching and a constant need to go to the toilet.

The point: I fixed the itching and most of the thrush by simply drinking lots and lots of warm water and going to the loo. I'm talking like at least 8 glasses a day. Keep drinking and keep going to the loo to wash it out. It provides relief at least and helps fight the infection.

Ps. Avoid stupidly sweet things too.
    What you describe sounds like a urine infection (+/- thrush as well, they may be related), so whilst your advice is spot on it is more applicable to a urine infection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Cotton underwear works wonders.
    Silk underwear - even better.

ReputationRep:
    My GP told me to use natural yogurt yrs ago. I find it easier to use a baby medicine syringe to insert it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.