Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As above. Buying a newer car and looking for opinions. MK4 Golf is what im looking at the moment.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Mini Cooper S.

What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    The Honda Civic Type R (90s version)

ReputationRep:
    Budgets is fairly low £2000 or less. Just something to have till next year.

ReputationRep:
    proton gen-2

im serious, check this link: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

seriously, dont even approach proton. you will commit suicide after 20 minutes of driving those cars.

ReputationRep:
    316i

ReputationRep:
    Ford Focus

ReputationRep:

200bhp, NASP, standard.

ReputationRep:
    Civic Type R, I can't afford the insurance though. D'oh.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all good shouts! Cheers. Think I might go for a 1.8L Golf GTI. Full comp is affordable!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really matter.
    No matter what you buy it'll still be under 2.5 litres which is about the bare minimum if you feel like you want to travel any quicker than a glacier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    No matter what you buy it'll still be under 2.5 litres which is about the bare minimum if you feel like you want to travel any quicker than a glacier.
    Oh come on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Doesn't really matter.

*cough*

ReputationRep:
    Vauxhall Astra SRi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Doesn't really matter.
    I like to think the 2.0 mx-5 I drove all summer wasn't too bad...

Also 2.5 is pretty big, you're discounting every lotus apart from the evora, the mitsubishi evo and subaru impreza, the mazda rx-7 and rx-8, the mx-5 (the 2.0 sport-tech one is fairly spicy) the 500 abarth SS, the mini cooper S works, every caterham ever made... The list goes on :p:

I think anything under 100bhp/tonne wet weight is fairly tame.
    Anything over 200bhp/tonne gets pretty damn exciting.
    Over 500bhp/tonne (only ever driven a car like that once...) feels pretty damn awesome

As for the OP, since you're only going to be spending £2000, and it's just a car to tide you over, get something cheap and japanese that won't need much work done to it. I may be biased having owned one, but a late 90s civic type R is a very good 1.6 :p: Was a great engine, brilliant fun to drive (mine was a two seater with bucket seats and four-point harnesses which may have helped) and seemed to be basically indestructible, apart from power steering hoses, which I went through three of in the space of 18 months for some reason...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Doesn't really matter.
    Good to see you back!

Don't troll though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.