Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I have started university in september and to begin with I was having an awesome time. I bonded with all of my flatmates really quickly and have made some really good friends here. I am very happy with my social life here and my living conditions are absolutely fine as well.
    My one problem seems to be my course. It just doesn't seem to interest me anymore. I know it is only the first few months and it seems a bit rushed but I am really getting bored with it. I have been thinking about dropping out recently but I constantly think what would I do back home?
    I was just wondering if you had any advice on what you would do in my situation.
    Sorry this is kinda long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_says_i'm_childish)
    Hi guys,
    I have started university in september and to begin with I was having an awesome time. I bonded with all of my flatmates really quickly and have made some really good friends here. I am very happy with my social life here and my living conditions are absolutely fine as well.
    My one problem seems to be my course. It just doesn't seem to interest me anymore. I know it is only the first few months and it seems a bit rushed but I am really getting bored with it. I have been thinking about dropping out recently but I constantly think what would I do back home?
    I was just wondering if you had any advice on what you would do in my situation.
    Sorry this is kinda long!
    I would propose that, unless you have an alternate plan, dropping out of uni isn't always the smartest choice. By now, you've already lost money on this - probably already paid your tuition fees and getting out of your accommodation contract isn't going to be easy at this stage - so, whilst you're going to accumulate some more debt, it won't be a lot. Staying at uni and having a good time with your friends is probably going to be better than sitting at home all on your todd with just JSA money and (if they're anything like mine, anyway) your parents hassling you to get a job, why haven't you got a job, the boy down the road who happens to related to the family that owns half the local businesses can get a job so why are you so unemployable, etc.

However, you do need to consider what you're going to do next year. You've already lost money on this year, but next year hasn't begun yet - if you're not enjoying your course, it's probably best to not return next year. Another advantage to having everyone else believe you're doing something already: it buys you the time to think about what you actually want to do without people on at you to think quickly (it's the sole reason why I originally applied to uni, to be honest.) Is there a different course you'd like to do, is there a job you'd like, etc? Even if your only conclusion is you don't know what you do want, but don't want to be there, you can figure out something to do in the interim without the pressure to find something quickly.

Good luck - it's an awkward situation, but we usually end up choosing the best solution.

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    I recently withdrew from uni and moved back home because I felt exactly the same as you - loved uni life but I hated my course! Are you bored with your course because you don't like the subject or because you don't like the way it's structured e.g. lots of reading, low contact hours etc.? Have you considered swapping courses, when I was considering dropping out the uni was going to allow me to change degree programmes at the start of semester 2 so maybe that's an option xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.