Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a free LaTeX compiler which I can use on my laptop in my room instead of the computer labs on campus. I googled for one and was suggested MikTex, which I am currently downloading as I type.
    Now my questions are as follows:

Is MikTex a good LaTeX compiler (is it reliable and intuitive?)

Are there any other (ideally free) LaTeX compilers I should be looking at?
    I just checked and at least two of the other compilers I've used are open source, so I may get one or two of those in addition.

Not sure if this is the right forum for my question. I could argue that it should go in maths as the language is based around mathematical articles, or physics as that's what I'm studying.

Thanks in advance.

(Original post by Manitude)
      Hi there,

I'm looking for a free LaTeX compiler which I can use on my laptop in my room instead of the computer labs on campus. I googled for one and was suggested MikTex, which I am currently downloading as I type.
      Now my questions are as follows:

Is MikTex a good LaTeX compiler (is it reliable and intuitive?)

Are there any other (ideally free) LaTeX compilers I should be looking at?
      I just checked and at least two of the other compilers I've used are open source, so I may get one or two of those in addition.

Not sure if this is the right forum for my question. I could argue that it should go in maths as the language is based around mathematical articles, or physics as that's what I'm studying.

Thanks in advance.
      Miktex is a great latex compiler if you're in windows (make sure you set it not to ask before installing packages on the fly, as being asked 5 times is really annoying). However, from your word choice I'm not sure you realize that the actual latex "word processor" is separate from the compiler. The one I recommend is TexMakerX, which you should install after miktex. There are, of course, other options.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Saichu)
      Miktex is a great latex compiler if you're in windows (make sure you set it not to ask before installing packages on the fly, as being asked 5 times is really annoying). However, from your word choice I'm not sure you realize that the actual latex "word processor" is separate from the compiler. The one I recommend is TexMakerX, which you should install after miktex. There are, of course, other options.
      I've only been learning LaTeX for about 4 or 5 weeks, so my knowledge of the terminology is still sketchy at best!

It turns out that I've attempted to use this program before, but in the past couldn't get it to work. I was thinking of getting texmaker (which I've found to be reasonably good) and texnic center (which I've used the most). I'll probably get both.

Cheers for the link and advice, I'll DL it tomorrow when I've got some free time.

ReputationRep:
      If you're running Linux, I find Kile to be pretty good. If you don't want to go through the whole trauma of installing a new dual-bootable OS, you could just install VMware Player on Windows and install something like Ubuntu as a new virtual machine. If you then install Kile on there, it'll automatically sort out anything else that needs to be installed, like LaTeX, and anything else it relies on.

(Original post by alex-hs)
        If you're running Linux, I find Kile to be pretty good. If you don't want to go through the whole trauma of installing a new dual-bootable OS, you could just install VMware Player on Windows and install something like Ubuntu as a new virtual machine. If you then install Kile on there, it'll automatically sort out anything else that needs to be installed, like LaTeX, and anything else it relies on.
        Kile is KDE only, though it appears here that installation is possible anyway. TexMakerX blows it out of the water in either case; I haven't checked in a while, but does kile even have inline spell checking yet? That was the dealbreaker for me when I tried using it; if they've added it, maybe it's time to give it another go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.