Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So recently my brother's high school got a really bad OFSTED report which basically says that it's a failure more or less with few exceptions. Also some special measures are being introduced. But also other local high schools from my region are generally ****... (5 GCSEs at grades A* to C about 19% at worst one, just under 40% at best one...) so I understand it's not one of the best places to get education from but at least I hope something can be done at home

My brother currently is in Year 8 and I do care about his education. I try to explain to him that GCSEs are going to come sooner than he think and then they are crucial when choosing route in college etc therefore it is important to put effort from now on. However he has no interest or patience regarding his school life. He is only interested in computer games / consoles. He doesn't have any homework very often or if he does then it is left till last minute (10 pm on Sunday and the likes). His spoken language is getting poorer than before, he stopped taking out books from library since he left primary school. His writing looks appalling, he struggles to read it himself. He struggles to remember which teacher teaches what, he doesn't say much about school, well he struggles big time to construct an opinion about a day at school... But when I talk about it to him then he gets bored / angry / mean what doesn't help to improve his learning. It doesn't look like he has problems or I can be wrong though

So what can I do for him ? I would like him to be successful in school but so far it's all going downhill for some time
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    sounds like a teenage boy to me! i know youre worried but you cant force him into any of this! he has to realise it for himself! all your nagging is doing is making him want to go in the opposite direction!

ReputationRep:
    Eh.... year 8 and year 9 were doss years.

Nobody does anything.

You're not helping him by trying to push him, plus there's no point. Wait until year 10, by then he'll probably realise it's kinda important himself.

ReputationRep:
    Year 8 was the year of nothingness. Like seriously, my reports were appalling and all my teachers pretty hated our class cos we all put in zero effort. This is especially true of boys, seriously, the story you're describing could have been written about me at that age! So don't worry.

Having said that, it's important his attitude changes by Year 10/11, because then it really does matter. Even more so because he's not at a great school and the onus will be on him.

I think for now, just leave him to it, but you're doing well in instilling the fact that GCSEs are very important and are not to be meddled with.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is the same tho he's in year 9. I have personally started to help him now as his school is crap. I don't know what they taught him in school as he doesn't know anything lol. Today, I went to his parents evening and the teacher explained of how he's struggling and is not learning much. I replied: if a student fails to learn that means a teacher has failed to teach. there were some awkward moments after that. But I don't regret. I guess I will have to help him loads at home to enable him to get good gcse s.

ReputationRep:
    year 8 = messing around year

ReputationRep:
    try helping him out with some mathematics..do sum group studies together.

ReputationRep:
    Let your brother enjoy his school years, that way he can grow up and assume responsibility for his education in his own time and not end up needlessly stressed out and resentful of you.

ReputationRep:
    Where the hell do you live?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.