Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Wonder if anyone knows of or has been in a similar situation and could advise.

Basically 4 of us moved into a house in September. All 4 of us were good friends but 1 has changed and become very controlling, needy and basically a d**k and turns out he has decided to drop out of university and therefore move back home.

We each had individual contracts and no where in the contracts is this eventuality covered. The landlord appears to have let him come out of the contract as long as a tenant is found. My question is will the remaining 3 have a major say in who moves in? Can we stop someone moving in that we don't think we would get along with? We are not currently paying per room we rent the whole house and at the end of the month pay the entire rent together.

Also what happens with the bills that we will get at the end of the month - on 3 monthly billing, so the person leaving will have used electricity, water, gas, etc. How can we make sure he pays?

The reason we moved into a house in the first place was to be able to choose who we lived with. I can see this becoming a negative impact on the house if the wrong person moved in.

We are adiment we will not pay more rent but at the same time would prefer no one to move into the house at all.

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danalan)
    Hi

Wonder if anyone knows of or has been in a similar situation and could advise.

Basically 4 of us moved into a house in September. All 4 of us were good friends but 1 has changed and become very controlling, needy and basically a d**k and turns out he has decided to drop out of university and therefore move back home.

We each had individual contracts and no where in the contracts is this eventuality covered. The landlord appears to have let him come out of the contract as long as a tenant is found. My question is will the remaining 3 have a major say in who moves in? Can we stop someone moving in that we don't think we would get along with? We are not currently paying per room we rent the whole house and at the end of the month pay the entire rent together.

Also what happens with the bills that we will get at the end of the month - on 3 monthly billing, so the person leaving will have used electricity, water, gas, etc. How can we make sure he pays?

The reason we moved into a house in the first place was to be able to choose who we lived with. I can see this becoming a negative impact on the house if the wrong person moved in.

We are adiment we will not pay more rent but at the same time would prefer no one to move into the house at all.

Help!
    As you have individual contracts, then you shouldn't have to pay the rent of the person leaving. In this case, due to each person renting separately, I'm sure it becomes the landlord's responsibility for any loss.

If you have a nice landlord, they may let you have some input into the type of tenant they choose, but of course, renting is a business and if your landlord is losing money because of the absent tenant then they may just choose very quickly and not think too much about whether you will get on with them. That's probably not their top priority.

Again, it's highly unlikely that your landlord will want to keep his room empty, especially if that means missing out on rent.

ReputationRep:
    the only way your going to get a say on who moves in is if you can find someone nice that would like to move in. otherwise it will just be whoever the landlord/leaviung person finds to replace them. the landlord wants to lose out on as little money as possible

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving into a flat where this has happened in January. It's slightly different as they have one contract for the whole flat) In their case, they had 4 people move into the flat in September last year in their first year. Sometime during the year 1 person made friends with a different group of people and so moved out. However she was made to continue paying her rent as the landlord didn't want an empty room.
    Regarding new tenants, my flatmate-to-be found me on www.flatmateclick.co.uk and has done everything to get me into the flat with no involvement from the estate agents or landlord until now when we are trying to get the contract renewed as a 6 month contract.
    So yeah, regarding the new housemate, you could do it all yourself and then tell the landlord that you've found someone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.