Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After a month I'm ready to bring my PS3 back to life.

Can anyone recommend me a good repair? I'm based in London.

I mean I tried this yesterday http://ps-pros.co.uk/ and they called and were like "we'll pick up your console any time between now and 5pm", but they never came, understandable considering the weather right now.

But I've just got this sinking feeling I'm gonna hand my PS3 to someone and never see it again. Especially after I called Sony and found out that they don't do repairs themselves.

So can any send one they've tried and has gone well, or one a friend has tried and was successful.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There's a guide posted in the PS3 Society if you're feeling up to it yourself: http://geoffyin.blogspot.com/2009/11...-death-on.html
    Loads have people have managed to do it themselves so it shouldn't be too difficult. At least worth a read through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    There's a guide posted in the PS3 Society if you're feeling up to it yourself: http://geoffyin.blogspot.com/2009/11...-death-on.html
    Loads have people have managed to do it themselves so it shouldn't be too difficult. At least worth a read through.
    Yeah I know it's possible to fix by yourself, but I'm afraid I'll end up permanently breaking mine lol. =/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Yeah I know it's possible to fix by yourself, but I'm afraid I'll end up permanently breaking mine lol. =/
    Right well, despite our prior conversation, I shall help you.

I successfully fixed my YLOD quite easily. All you need is, a cardboard box, about the size of your PS3 and a hairdryer.

Merely, place the console inside the box, and put the hair-dryer to max setting. Then you merely Blow dry it for about 10-12 minutes. Fan it off with a fan until it is cold to touch. And then turn it on.

This should melt the solders and allow the flow to resume. If it does not work first time (as it didn't for me) repeat the process again until it does. However do not repeat more than twice I would advise (depending on your hair-dryer strength) because your case starts to melt. So when you see the frame and casing melting or starting to deform, take caution!

But yea, you could go into it and manually clean and reflow the chips themselves, but you said you do not want to risk this, as it is more high risk. The other solution recommended to you, I tried and did not work for me :erm: but I have heard it works for many.

So you could try this first if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Right well, despite our prior conversation, I shall help you.

I successfully fixed my YLOD quite easily. All you need is, a cardboard box, about the size of your PS3 and a hairdryer.

Merely, place the console inside the box, and put the hair-dryer to max setting. Then you merely Blow dry it for about 10-12 minutes. Fan it off with a fan until it is cold to touch. And then turn it on.

This should melt the solders and allow the flow to resume. If it does not work first time (as it didn't for me) repeat the process again until it does. However do not repeat more than twice I would advise (depending on your hair-dryer strength) because your case starts to melt. So when you see the frame and casing melting or starting to deform, take caution!

But yea, you could go into it and manually clean and reflow the chips themselves, but you said you do not want to risk this, as it is more high risk. The other solution recommended to you, I tried and did not work for me :erm: but I have heard it works for many.

So you could try this first if you want
    Thanks! And I aim the blow dryer in the fan area right?

I could get it fixed for 80 quid, then finally get black ops. But apparently there's a chance it could YLOD again?

I called Sony and they've offered to take mine, and give me a brand new one for £130.

And with that amount I just feel like I could sell my ps3 for at least 50, and buy a second hand on gumtree.

They all total up around the same really.

What to do, what to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Beat me to it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks! And I aim the blow dryer in the fan area right?

I could get it fixed for 80 quid, then finally get black ops. But apparently there's a chance it could YLOD again?

I called Sony and they've offered to take mine, and give me a brand new one for £130.

And with that amount I just feel like I could sell my ps3 for at least 50, and buy a second hand on gumtree.

They all total up around the same really.

What to do, what to do...
    Well yea, put the PS3 in the box and blowdry it. Then turn the fan onto it and cool it whilst in the box. Oh I forgot to mention. Face the PS3 backward in the box so that you blowdry and fan the vents on the back. This will allow the solders to melt and flow to start then the can cool and solidify sealing the crack inside.

I fixed mine, got my game out which had been stuck. And was fully working but transparent when it came out, i.e. I could see through it lol and see the cover through the back side of it. Which was strange, but it worked so i didn't complain :p:

I fixed mine, then traded it in for around 80 and then got a preowned 60 GB (because I like the PS1 and PS2 full playback) for like £180 with like 4 games, then got extended warranty. So I have 3 years warranty (1 prewoned and 2 extra) and so if it breaks, I simply get a new one :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well yea, put the PS3 in the box and blowdry it. Then turn the fan onto it and cool it whilst in the box. Oh I forgot to mention. Face the PS3 backward in the box so that you blowdry and fan the vents on the back. This will allow the solders to melt and flow to start then the can cool and solidify sealing the crack inside.

I fixed mine, got my game out which had been stuck. And was fully working but transparent when it came out, i.e. I could see through it lol and see the cover through the back side of it. Which was strange, but it worked so i didn't complain :p:

I fixed mine, then traded it in for around 80 and then got a preowned 60 GB (because I like the PS1 and PS2 full playback) for like £180 with like 4 games, then got extended warranty. So I have 3 years warranty (1 prewoned and 2 extra) and so if it breaks, I simply get a new one :yep:
    Well based on your post sounds like I should take sony's offer for a new one and a trade at £130.

But I'm gonna try the blow dryer thing first right now. Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well based on your post sounds like I should take sony's offer for a new one and a trade at £130.

But I'm gonna try the blow dryer thing first right now. Thanks!
    It depends on your model. And the offer sony was giving me, was actually worse than what I got. After sony gives you another there is no warranty, and its a refurbished model which is most likely to fail again. It would have cost me 130 but I only paid around 130 for my console with 4 games and a bit extra for warranty to make sure if anything happens I get a new one. How is sony offer better :confused:

But yea try the blowdryer trick. Just remember I cannot be help liable if anything happens to the console. :p:

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your model. And the offer sony was giving me, was actually worse than what I got. After sony gives you another there is no warranty, and its a refurbished model which is most likely to fail again. It would have cost me 130 but I only paid around 130 for my console with 4 games and a bit extra for warranty to make sure if anything happens I get a new one. How is sony offer better :confused:
    When you put it like that, it does seem like I'd be ripping myself off. Didn't know sony didn't offer warranty on refurbished models.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    When you put it like that, it does seem like I'd be ripping myself off. Didn't know sony didn't offer warranty on refurbished models.
    Perhaps they have changed their policy I do not know. I only did mine a year ago, so I doubt it :erm:

But I would ask just to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    I got a 3 month warranty on the refurb they sent me (this was only a few weeks back). Mine was still under warranty but they said it's either until the end of the proper warranty or 3 months, whichever is longer.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they have changed their policy I do not know. I only did mine a year ago, so I doubt it :erm:

But I would ask just to make sure.
    OMG!!!!! The blow dyer actually worked!!! I was trying for the sake of it, but wwoooww I'm so happy if you was here right now I'd probably kiss you!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!

I heard it might be a temporary fix, but right now I couldn't give ****, it's been like 5 weeks since I played a game.

I ****ING OWE YOU!!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OMG!!!!! The blow dyer actually worked!!! I was trying for the sake of it, but wwoooww I'm so happy if you was here right now I'd probably kiss you!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!!

I heard it might be a temporary fix, but right now I couldn't give ****, it's been like 5 weeks since I played a game.

I ****ING OWE YOU!!!!
    :laugh: haha no problem man, enjoy!

It is a temp fix for probably a few months, but you could always do it again. Or just trade it in and get another one. Its up to you.

No, its cool mate, don't worry about it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.