Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This will seem like a daft question, but my friend is moving from Australia to England next year to study. She's getting a bit nervous about it, so I thought I'd make her up a list of everything that's fantastic about Leeds, the university, and England in general. I've already got things like the Cockpit, IceCube, the access to British sitcoms that we don't have, general lack of humidity

Does anyone have suggestions for fun things to do in Leeds?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    She can watch Australia get annihilated in the Ashes inside a Leeds pub

ReputationRep:
    Hee. Well played, sir

We're not really into cricket, but I have to admit "watch football in Leeds pub" makes an appearance on the list...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LennaPH)
    Hi,

This will seem like a daft question, but my friend is moving from Australia to England next year to study. She's getting a bit nervous about it, so I thought I'd make her up a list of everything that's fantastic about Leeds, the university, and England in general. I've already got things like the Cockpit, IceCube, the access to British sitcoms that we don't have, general lack of humidity

Does anyone have suggestions for fun things to do in Leeds?

Thank you!
    Hyde Park Picture House
    Headingley Old Fashioned "Englishey" Cinema
    Otley Run
    Armoury Museum
    Harvey Nichols
    Red Hot World Buffet (Best selection of International world foods, top chefs)
    Varsity Rugby Match in the Carnegie Stadium
    German Christmas Market
    The Indoor Market
    White Rose Shopping Centre (bus ride)
    Xscape in Castleford (train or bus)
    York City Centre (train or bus)
    Scarborough and Whitby (seaside visits)
    Knaresborough Castle (rent a car)
    Yorkshire Moors & Dales (walking)
    Clarence Dock Leeds (upper class entertainment and scenic)
    Otley and Ilkley (Traditional towns via Bus or Train)
    Nightclubs (all and everyone of them, try before you slate)
    Join 2/3 Uni Societies (perhaps a sport for one)
    Hyde Park: Woodhouse Moor (Sun lazing or Snow fighting?)
    Traditional British Xmas Meal (Go to respectable estabilishment)
    Look at a Mosque (...? Some are pretty beautiful)
    Edinburgh (Train, Scottish intake)
    London Stuff (Train, www.raileasy.co.uk got a return for £15 once)
    Local Ale & Tetleys (Old Bar, Weatherspoons etc...)

Bah cba to name anymore, got bored could go on though...

ReputationRep:
    I have a few friends who are studying in Leeds, coming from abroad, and they've started going on mini sightseeing days/weekends to places of interest in England. It's not that expensive to go to say, Durham, York, or even London or wherever interests your friend, and she's likely to find people that would like to do the same That way she could experience more than just Leeds!

ReputationRep:
    Get the train to Harrogate, go to the Sony Centre there and punch my idiot of a brother.

ReputationRep:
    Whether these constitute fun things or not, they're worth visiting:

Roundhay Park
    Kirkstall Abbey
    Chapel Allerton (restaurants and bars)
    The International Film festival
    Headingley/Elland Road
    Xscape
    AMF bowling (ok, not serious)

York
    Harrogate
    Saltaire
    Hebden Bridge/Heptonstall
    Ilkley Moor
    Almscliff Crag
    Otley Chevin
    The Dales (Grassington, Hawes, Three Peaks, etc)
    The Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield (opens 2011)

ReputationRep:
    The Student Union organises 'Give It a Go' trips to places such as Liverpool, the Lake District, Stratford-upon-Avon and that place over the Pennines with the chauvinistic inhabitants who will no doubt tell you how great the place is for the entire time you are there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much! I really appeciate the help

ReputationRep:
    Ilkley - I live here and it's probably worth a visit.

I guess there is the usual stuff in the city - Briggate, Corn Exchange, The Light, Subdub :teehee: , Leeds United, watch cricket at Headingley :yes:, Chapel Allerton has some decent places to eat and drink. Harrogate, York, The Dales, Bradford is interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hate on the number 18, 18a and 19 buses for being utterly useless with other members of the public.

Ilkley is good as above - the Ilkley Moors are awesome and the Cow and Calf pub up there is ace!

ReputationRep:
    Visit Doncaster! Jokes. Er, I don't really have much to contribute, but Leeds has really good travel links as far as i'm aware so even if you're bored, you can just go somewhere else relatively cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her not to be tempted to go to the Walkabout pub. Whilst she might find some comforts from home in the food and familiar accents, once they find out she is Australian, they will lay claim to her social life.

It will be "hey sheila, I'm Gibbo from Cronulla beach. Me, Chopper and Bruce are gonna be taking Charlene and Marlene out at the weekend, yous should come? Yeah? We're gonna be here, at the Walkabout. Make sure you're there!"

then next week "sheila, it's Australia night at the Walkabout this Wednesday. Me, Chopper and Bruce are gonna be dressed as Crocodile Dundee. Yous should come? Yeah? See you at the Walkabout!"

then next week "hey sheila, me, Chopper and Bruce are playin poker with Charlene and Marlene, yous should come? yeah? Then we're gonna go to the Walkabout after!"

then a few days later "hey sheila, we've got a new friend! His name's Bonzer and he's a bogun from Penrith. So me, Chopper and Bruce have invited him down to watch St George v Parramatta, its on at the Walkabout. Yous should come? yeah?"

ReputationRep:
    Get in the club scene! All the great clubs are in town, Mezz, Mint, Warehouse. Get yourself tickets and some peeps and head down. Avoid Space on a thursday... epic sweatfest :/

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of things to do in Leeds. Top of the list at the moment is the German Christmas Market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Tell her not to be tempted to go to the Walkabout pub. Whilst she might find some comforts from home in the food and familiar accents, once they find out she is Australian, they will lay claim to her social life.

It will be "hey sheila, I'm Gibbo from Cronulla beach. Me, Chopper and Bruce are gonna be taking Charlene and Marlene out at the weekend, yous should come? Yeah? We're gonna be here, at the Walkabout. Make sure you're there!"

then next week "sheila, it's Australia night at the Walkabout this Wednesday. Me, Chopper and Bruce are gonna be dressed as Crocodile Dundee. Yous should come? Yeah? See you at the Walkabout!"

then next week "hey sheila, me, Chopper and Bruce are playin poker with Charlene and Marlene, yous should come? yeah? Then we're gonna go to the Walkabout after!"

then a few days later "hey sheila, we've got a new friend! His name's Bonzer and he's a bogun from Penrith. So me, Chopper and Bruce have invited him down to watch St George v Parramatta, its on at the Walkabout. Yous should come? yeah?"
    Funniest Trueist thing I have ever read on TSR, well in Mr S.

ReputationRep:
    Like the thread

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.