Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have the essay title;

Was the lack of coordination in the internal administration of the third reich the result of a calculated policy of divide-and-rule by Hitler?

I'm not entirely sure I know what i am supposed to write and i need to hit 3000 words by 4pm thursday (2/12/10) please help.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiousity, are you doing a degree (if so, what year?) or A levels?

ReputationRep:
    if its A level you have to give a balanced answer
    if its degree then pick one or the other - I would go with it was a chaotic system which wasn't a deliberate construction of Hitler's but which played into his hands

make sure you highlight Himmler to show that it wasn't caculated policy - hitler let him build up a police empire etc

ReputationRep:
    this is actually not a hard essay but you have not left youself much time - have you done the reading??
    try to get classmates or whatever to send you theirs

ReputationRep:
    It is for a third year undergraduate course.

I have done all my reading and actually written the essay but i am second guessing myself as the deadline looms and the more i think about it the more i think my answer is only tenuously linked to the question.

the bit im woried about is the 1100 odd words dedicated to the structuralist/intentionalist argument discussed in Kershaw and in Broszat which isnt imediately implied by the question.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I've recently written an essay on this so I hope I can help!
    The debate is whether Hitler deliberately followed a policy of divide and rule (called the 'intentionalist' interpretation, supported by N Rich) in order to maintain power, or whether he was a weak leader and the divisions within government were a result of this. (strtucturalist interpretation, supported by Borzat and Mommenson) Ian Kershaws acrgument is between the two.

The intentionalist interpretation says that Hitler took responsibility for the 'big' decisions, but because he never gave clear instructions to those below him, no hierachy developed and they had to 'fight it out between them.' Thus, Hitler remained the ultimate figure of authority and, although leading NAzis made decisions in policies which didn't interest Hitler, he made the important decisions (eg in foreign policy)

The structuralist argument says that Hitler was a weak dictator as he never really made decisions and the government was unorganized. It was not intentional on HItlers part. Hitler was not able to keep tensions in the economy and state under control and there were many arguments and splits in the government, which lacked direction and pupose. He followed some aims and ignored other aspects of policy.

Ian Kershaw argues that although HItler didnt make all the key decisions he was crucial as he was the figure of the NAzi dream. there was no effective opposition and he achieved his main aims. His followers, when not acting on his exact instruction, were acting in the way that they thought would please him 'towards the fuhrur.' Kershaw argues that the SS and the holocaust could not have happenned without Hitler.

Hope that helps! Are you doing the OCR F965 unit, and is this your interpretations question or just a random essay?

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant thanks that is a massive relief, i might actually go to bed now.

No im doing the HISH3G1Y module and it's just a random essay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.