Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can a degree in sports therapy still allow you to take a PGCE PE teacher course. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello i am going to study sports therapy but i have recently grew fond of the idea of being a pe teacher. My plan was to finish my degree and work for a sports club or personal training and sports therpy combined.

However i want to be able to keep the door open to becoming a teacher is this still possible with the sports therapy degree i will eventually get. Has anyone taken the same root??

PLEASE HELP

thanks in advance david

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing the same

i'm doing sports therapy at coventry from september and then when i graduate the (current) plan is to go on and do a PGCE so i can teach as well. i think i'd like to teach part time and be a therapist part time. either that or do full time therapy and when i feel i've got all i can from it, go to teaching. it's most definitely possible - so long as your subject relates to the PGCE you want (which it does), it's fine.

where are you going to do your undergrad degree?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing nearly the same thing hopefully! Doing a Degree in Sports Coaching and Therapy then hopefully PGCE in Primary Education

ReputationRep:
    No not for doing PGCE PE as you would not of covered all the practical national curriculum sport..
    But you could prob teach PE in FE/sixth form Colleges if you did a PGCE FE instead.

Or you could maybe look at taking PGCE's either in Primary , possibly biological Sciences or Health and Social Care.

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to do a PGCE in Physical Education, I would guess they would see Sports Therapy as a relevant subject. Some universities will say that 'over half' of your subject should be in the relevant course and your course is obviously very sport-related.

Just taking the first result from Google, it says: 'The standard entry requirement is a relevant honours degree. Relevant degrees could be from a wide range of subjects including; physical or outdoor education, dance, sports studies and sports science.' So yes, the door is more than likely open to you being a PE teacher.

If you haven't already, it might be worth looking into getting some coaching experience with young people or some relevant school experience e.g. observing in a classroom or in PE lessons. For PGCEs they generally require you to have recent experience so you don't necessarily need it yet, but if you're interested it's worth looking into anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Old thread i know but Has anyone done a degree in Sports therapy followed by a PGCE secondary PE? A lot of universities seem to accept any sport related degree to get you on to the Teaching course so id assume it is accepted, but I just wondered if it is DEFINITELY possible? because my plan is to do Sports therapy followed by a PGCE and I don't want to get half way through sports therapy and then find out its not possible lol.

ReputationRep:
    Be very concerned. Thanks to Gove's brave new world a good friend of mine who is a sport teacher spends MORE time teaching other subjects than sport.

ReputationRep:
    Not the first time I've heard this but thanks for the heads up

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.