Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.. first post.

I have been looking at Neuroscience or Genetics at UCL or King's as courses I am interested in applying for..

I know that there is an option to take first year Biomedical Science and switch in the second year to various courses, these ones included.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience doing this?

If it was an advised route to take?

If it was easier or harder to get on these competitive courses going via Biomedial Sciences or not?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    What sort of career do you want with regards to neuroscience and genetics?

If you are looking to do research, you may be better doing a biomedical degree, followed by masters in the area you want to work within, plus experience in that area, and then a PhD.

In a BMS degree you'll learn all the lab techniques that go hand in hand with genetics and some neuroscience to an extent, e.g. Immunoassay, ELISA, PCR, electrophroesis. Plus learning all the biochemical pathways, anatomy, physiology, molecular cell biology and mroe that will aid in that sort of career.

Please take my advice with caution though, as I have never even looked at a neuroscience or genetics prospectus!!

(I may be biased here because i'm a second year BMS!)

Im looking at doing the masters in Drug discovery and biomedical science at UCL when I graduate (thats if I cant get a job in an NHS lab between graduating and masters intake!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.