Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on Concept Albums Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are your opinions on concept albums vs. standard/conventional albums. Do you feel that a unifying idea tends to hurt/help the quality of the actual songs across an album, or not at all?

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea in principle, but sometimes it compromises the standard of the music.

There isn't really a big distinction between a concept album and an orthodox album that has a theme or a couple of threads running through. For example, a lot of early metallica albums could be considered "concept albums" in that all the songs were about a certain set of ideas, and some of their best work was on display on those albums.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my favourite albums would be considered as 'concept albums' (Pink Floyd's The Wall and so forth), but they require both outstanding musicianship and an engaging storyline for them to function in any successful manner. American Idiot did this very well; Sum 41's first albums were by no means bad until they followed them up with some rather clumsy semi-concept records.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    Some of my favourite albums would be considered as 'concept albums' (Pink Floyd's The Wall and so forth), but they require both outstanding musicianship and an engaging storyline for them to function in any successful manner. American Idiot did this very well; Sum 41's first albums were by no means bad until they followed them up with some rather clumsy semi-concept records.
    American Idiot is a good example of an album that I definitely wouldn't consider to be a concept album per se, but simply a reflection of the quite specific set of ideas Green Day wanted to sing about at that point in time.

I don't think American Idiot is any more of a concept album than Dookie is: one a set of songs all about a similar theme of the boredom and squalor of disenfranchised 90s urban youth, vs a set of songs railing against the new political and social climate of the US in the Bush years some 15 years later.

In short, I don't think either of them quite fit the definition of "concept album", rather they both lie at the more coherent and focused end of the "normal album" spectrum.

A lot of the very best albums are produced in this borderland between album as single concept and album as "collection of songs". Stuff like OK Computer or Ride the Lightning.

ReputationRep:
    Epica and The Black Halo by Kamelot are two of my favourite albums. They're based on Goethe's Faust and I think they are better for being concept albums as I really enjoy the role that the plot and characters play in the music.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to like them a lot more than other albums, it makes them seem like they haven't randomly been thrown together. I like a good album theme.

ReputationRep:
    The Wall & The Heroin Diaries. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If a concept album is done right, then it can be fantastic.. Many of my favourite albums are concept albums

Kate Bush's Hounds of Love; The Ninth Wave, is one of my favourite albums of all time. :drool:

ReputationRep:
    I like it when the concept is there but kind of loose, like with Lullabies to Paralyse by Queens of the Stone Age, which had a slighty spooky feel.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get what constitutes a concept album unless it's not explicit- like one that definitely is, and I find slightly odd, is Tales of Mystery and Imagination by The Alan Parsons Project (who only did concept albums, so I am told by wiki!): it's based entirely on the works of one of my favourite authors Edgar Allan Poe....but it's a bit too ****ing weird (aka a bit too prog rock ) for me

I think Coheed and Cambria are meant to be concept-y, but the only album of theirs I have is Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness: it's good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Epica and The Black Halo by Kamelot are two of my favourite albums. They're based on Goethe's Faust and I think they are better for being concept albums as I really enjoy the role that the plot and characters play in the music.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Lifter Puller and The Hold Steady are perfect examples of concept albums done well, all of their albums follow a few central themes with recurring characters/storylines.

The music won't be to everyones taste but it's worth a listen cos' it is very cleverly done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    I don't really get what constitutes a concept album unless it's not explicit- like one that definitely is, and I find slightly odd, is Tales of Mystery and Imagination by The Alan Parsons Project (who only did concept albums, so I am told by wiki!): it's based entirely on the works of one of my favourite authors Edgar Allan Poe....but it's a bit too ****ing weird (aka a bit too prog rock ) for me

I think Coheed and Cambria are meant to be concept-y, but the only album of theirs I have is Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness: it's good though

Wait, so you like C&C but The Alan Parsons Project is too prog rock?

Also, C&C make great concept albums, they're based on the graphic novels written by the lead vocalist. The Suffering and Welcome Home :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so you like C&C but The Alan Parsons Project is too prog rock?

Also, C&C make great concept albums, they're based on the graphic novels written by the lead vocalist. The Suffering and Welcome Home :coma:
    Yes! TAPP- well actually I'm just referring to Tales of Mystery and Imagination, is as I said, too weird in my opinion. I think it's valid for something to be classed as 'too...whatever'. One of my favourite bands is Yes and they're prog rock too, and their album Tales from Topographic Oceans is pushing it a bit too.

Tales of Mystery and Imagination is just too much slave to the theme (i.e. too experimental, thus 'too prog rock'). Though maybe it's just because I'm a fan of Edgar Allan Poe's tales, so I can't quite get around them in music form.

BTW, The Suffering = my fave C&C. I actually don't know why I never bought any of their other albums. Maybe I will

ReputationRep:
    Yes! TAPP- well actually I'm just referring to Tales of Mystery and Imagination, is as I said, too weird in my opinion. I think it's valid for something to be classed as 'too...whatever'. One of my favourite bands is Yes and they're prog rock too, and their album Tales from Topographic Oceans is pushing it a bit too.

Tales of Mystery and Imagination is just too much slave to the theme (i.e. too experimental, thus 'too prog rock'). Though maybe it's just because I'm a fan of Edgar Allan Poe's tales, so I can't quite get around them in music form.

BTW, The Suffering = my fave C&C. I actually don't know why I never bought any of their other albums. Maybe I will
    Really? It seems like a standard Prog rock album. If anything Yes are much more experimental... Your opinion I guess.

Welcome Home is a mile ahead of their other work just for the tempo and the way it builds up to the solo. And what a solo.

ReputationRep:
    Really? It seems like a standard Prog rock album. If anything Yes are much more experimental... Your opinion I guess.
    :dontknow: I find the album, dare I say it- silly more than anything. Honestly, is this not a little bit...well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0bm...eature=related

Decent music, but as a song....not for me If you can recommend any stuff from their other albums I will be happy to listen, but I'll keep my Poe to books not songs, anyway.

As for Yes, funnily enough one of my favourites of theirs is from their debut, and is quite ordinary and under 10 minutes

:love:

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow: I find the album, dare I say it- silly more than anything. Honestly, is this not a little bit...well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw0bm...eature=related

Decent music, but as a song....not for me If you can recommend any stuff from their other albums I will be happy to listen, but I'll keep my Poe to books not songs, anyway.

As for Yes, funnily enough one of my favourites of theirs is from their debut, and is quite ordinary and under 10 minutes

:love:
    Oh no, I've heard the album, I think it's good.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I've heard the album, I think it's good.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, then! I don't know enough about their other albums to comment on anything else. Do you like Yes? I can talk about them

ReputationRep:
    We'll have to agree to disagree, then! I don't know enough about their other albums to comment on anything else. Do you like Yes? I can talk about them
    I like them, but I don't own any of their stuff. I've listened to Classic Yes a few times...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.