Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am upgrading my Sony Ericsson C902 (Amazing Camera) to a new phone.

I think touch screen is the way to go and I can get £25/month (500mins, bla bla bla) an iPhone 4 or a Galaxy S.

Which one should I get?

The downside is even though I've been with them for 3 years they are trying to nab me into a 24 month contract.

ReputationRep:
    I have the galaxy s and it is an exceptionally good phone, even my brother who has a iPhone 4 was impressed by it.

ReputationRep:
    Galaxy S all the way.
    I4 is not worth the price.
    IMO, Galaxy s has a better screen, great for watching films
    Better graphics chip, swype, more durable, cheaper.
    Iphone is like a year or two behind the galaxy s, it has brand name, apps from app store and thats it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3by5u...x=0&playnext=1
    Try this on Iphone 4, see what you get

ReputationRep:
    S

ReputationRep:
    Lol all Apple haters or is the Galaxy genuinely better?
    I really want to go for this but the ****ing 24month thing is putting me off.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The Galaxy is better in nearly every single way apart from Apps, which off course the Apple market dominates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    most phones (new ones) are on 24 months contract, especially if you want the phone for free

Galaxy S is much better
      it is lighter to feel
      its thinner
      its more reliable
      and it looks amazing / all iphones virtually look the same apart from this one has no curves

ReputationRep:
      I'd say Galaxy S just because it has a homescreen. (Well, 7 of them to be precise :awesome: )

I always feel so lost on iPhones not being able to any further back than the apps screen.

And the Samsung is a very good phone, I have one

(Original post by ourlastmemory)
        I'd say Galaxy S just because it has a homescreen. (Well, 7 of them to be precise :awesome: )

I always feel so lost on iPhones not being able to any further back than the apps screen.

And the Samsung is a very good phone, I have one
        was it on contract? how much is it on payg

ReputationRep:
        I'd say iPhone 4, but that's just because I love the iPhone's, Jailbreak it and it'll be the best thing you'll buy this year

ReputationRep:
        I'd say the iPhone 4, although the Galaxy S is certainly a good phone, and definitely the best Android phone out there I think. The screens on both phones are amazing - the Galaxy S's is extremely bright and colourful, while the iPhone 4's is extremely clear and pin sharp - so sharp that your eyes can't actually see the individual pixels. Both phones are equally as fast, they both look good, so really it just comes down to whether you prefer Android or iOS. If you prefer to be able to customise your phone a little bit and tinker around with its inner workings then Android (Galaxy S) is more for you, whereas if you like to keep things how they are, and be able to download thousands of apps, including the biggest selection of games on any phone, then iOS (iPhone 4) is for you.

Personally, I'd get the iPhone.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        Galaxy S is much better
        it is lighter to feel
        its thinner
        its more reliable
        and it looks amazing / all iphones virtually look the same apart from this one has no curves

iPhne 4 is the thinnest smartphone ever (or, at least it was when it released).

The Galaxy S looks so much like the old iPhone 3G/3GS, so there's no way it looks original. The iPhone 4 is, even if you're not an Apple fan, really beautiful with it's two pieces of glass and aluminium strip.

More reliable? Unless you have facts to back that up, then I'll assume you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Moonkin)
        Get it on PAYG, it'll work out cheaper in the long term.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        was it on contract? how much is it on payg
        Mine's on an 18 month contract and I got it for no extra charge on top of my old phone (which was rubbish) and I think I pay about £25 a month.

Without contract it would probably be pretty frigging expensive, maybe around the ~£200 mark but don't quote me on that. (I say this not fully knowing what PAYG is, is that pay as you go?)

ReputationRep:
        Why would Samsung make a beastly phone and not put Flash light on it?

(Original post by ourlastmemory)
          Mine's on an 18 month contract and I got it for no extra charge on top of my old phone (which was rubbish) and I think I pay about £25 a month.

Without contract it would probably be pretty frigging expensive, maybe around the ~£200 mark but don't quote me on that. (I say this not fully knowing what PAYG is, is that pay as you go?)
          Quote lol
          Found out its double that
          Samsung Galaxy S Pay As You Go on O2 PAYG
          £439.90 - Mobiles.co.uk

ReputationRep:
          They're pretty similar spec wise. Samsung has the better screen though. iPhone looks better (imo), more slick and minimalistic (if you like that sort of thing).

I think the iPhone has better build quality and a more solid feel, Galaxy S feels good in the hand but it has the plastic back.

Then it just comes down to OS preference, Android or iOS...try both out and see which one you like to use most. Also have to consider the respective app markets and sync methods (if you're happy to use iTunes).

Mind you if you're unhappy about the long contract (which is becoming standard for smartphones now) then consider the resale values. iPhone generally have the better resale value.

All in all I'd say they're pretty matched it's all down to personal preference.

ReputationRep:
          I nearly spilt my coffee when the poster above said all iPhones look the same and the Galaxy S looks amazing. The Samsung design is a total rip-off of the iPhone and it makes no bones about it lol

There is little between them in specs so consider the operating systems and also the size. The Galaxy is bigger. Also the Galaxy S does have a known GPS issue, which I don't think has been resolved, so keep that in mind if you're gonna use satellite navigation.

My eyes opened wider when i read the above poster if its about issues then the iphone 4 can be hacked easily when you type in a certain pin code
            dont see you doing that with the S do you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          What newspaper do you read/prefer?
          Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.