Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a lesson in a few weeks due to having to cancel one when I was sick and being a bit preoccupied with work and such since. My instructor has text a couple of times to remind me I still have paid hours left and to book, however it's snowing so much here at the moment that roads are blocked due to abandoned vehicles and the majority of the bus services are unable to run! He last text a couple of days ago asking me to arrange a lesson, this was when the snow was starting, shall I just tell him I'll be in touch when the roads are better? it seems silly as I'm not that confident driving in regular weather and dry roads, I don't want to drive in thick snow?! Surely?

Is anyone cancelling lessons due to snow?

ReputationRep:
    My driving instructor cancelled on ME. I reckon you should ask him/her what's best and whether you should have a lesson in the snow. Even if you don't want to drive in the snow can't you arrange a lesson for next week instead?

ReputationRep:
    You really shouldn't be learning to drive if you're not prepared to drive according to the weather. I learnt driving in real heavy rain and it actually helped. Just get on with it and don't be fuzzy.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably find that your instructor's cancelled all of his lessons anyway, but it does no harm to send him a text and tell him you will be in touch when the roads are better. When I was learning I had a lesson cancelled because of this, and my brother's test was cancelled due to snow/ ice.

Personally, I think it's better to have lessons in a bit of ice because you are able to learn how to drive properly in those conditions. If more people did this then maybe there would be less accidents when the weather is bad...but instructors won't due it because it's 'dangerous'.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My lesson was cancelled because of the snow, it's far too dangerous to drive in at the minute when you aren't very experienced.

I have now missed out on 3 lessons =/ one because the instructor was ill, then the car needed routine maintenance, and now the snow

ReputationRep:
    I had lessons in the snow/ice last year so just text your instructor and ask what they want to do, no harm in asking

ReputationRep:
    The turn in the road is much easier in the ice. Begin the turn and whack on the handbrake and you can do a 180 no problem. Don't do it too fast or use too much brake or you might do more than 180...

I'm not positive this is a recognised technique in the test, mind.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's a great opportunity to learn how to drive properly in snowy/icy conditions, something that so many people in this country singularly fail to manage. Better to learn with your instructor now than in a years time when you have to drive somewhere and have no idea what to do.

Makes sense, right? Why I am the only one who seems to think this? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My lessons were cancelled after I plowed into a group of schoolkids. It's so unfair, only 3 died! :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    when I was a learner I did a few lessons in the snow, i wouldn't worry, your instructor is in the car so if you drive safely you'll be alright, my instructor cancelled on me when it got too bad last year. If your instructor thinks it's fine i'd trust them

Depends:

If the roads are snowy but still drivable, you should definitely go out and have a lesson or two. You should find the experience very useful.

However, if the roads are very thickly covered and the back roads are impassable, then he's just looking to take some money and there's no point because you won't be going anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just book a lesson a few weeks in advance? I think he's trying to encourage you to book some lessons rather than to have one right now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by popdrops)
    My driving instructor cancelled on ME. I reckon you should ask him/her what's best and whether you should have a lesson in the snow. Even if you don't want to drive in the snow can't you arrange a lesson for next week instead?
    Yeah- ask your instructor whats best, he/she will know. And maybe book one for next week when the roads better. You cant be expected to drive when the weathers really bad, the busses cant run and people are even having to abandon cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota-XS)
    You really shouldn't be learning to drive if you're not prepared to drive according to the weather. I learnt driving in real heavy rain and it actually helped. Just get on with it and don't be fuzzy.
    I doubt it's about not being prepared, I think most people would rather not drive in these conditions. Light snow and a bit of ice, maybe, but not almost blizzardy snow that's landing fast everywhere and causing accidents. Besides, I heard somewhere that police were advising people not to drive unless it was unavoidable. Lessons are avoidable, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    Can't you just book a lesson a few weeks in advance? I think he's trying to encourage you to book some lessons rather than to have one right now.
    yeah I'd like to be able to do that but I only find out my shifts for the week a few days in advance and they can be at any time of the day

ReputationRep:
    Just ask him what he thinks would be best, mine was cancelled because he didn't fancy letting me drive his car in foot-deep snow. Fair enough. But I have another lesson planned in a few days when the snow won't be so bad. I'd quite like to have at least some experience driving in it.

ReputationRep:
    Without knowing your skill level this is a difficult one to answer. As a driving instructor I consider the ability of my pupil carefully, driving on snow or ice requires smooth and gentle control so someone who is well on with their lessons may benefit from driving lessons with a qualified instructor rather than waiting to find out on their own after passing their test. However if you are still quite a novice and jerky with your control i would advise against the lesson. you should call or txt your instructor and discuss it with them. Pete Leach abarth driving school

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 3, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.