Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I'm saving up all the money I'm earning on my Gap Year so that I can buy a MacBook Pro and other bits for Uni. However, I'm completely confused as to which MacBook Pro I should go for. My budget is £1k, but within this there are a lot of possibilities.

I know for certain that I'd like the 13in so I can carry it to/from lectures with ease and then hook it up to a monitor/my tv in my Uni room when I get in. Hoe wever, I'm not really sure whether I'm going to need a 2.4ghz processor or a 2.6ghz one. There's quite a big price difference between the two. With my music collection and photos that will be put onto it, I will opt for a 320gb hard drive (and then buy a portable one as well).

I should have the money by mid-January, but I've heard rumours that Apple will shortly be releasing Mac OS Lion and there's a good chance that they'll release an altered MacBook as well before the end of 2011. Is it worth waiting for a possible new release? Or should I just get the existing one when I have the money? I can get a student discount now, so would it be worth buying my Mac ASAP or waiting until August/July time?

Another question relates to iWork and MacOffice. I'm fairly sure I'm going to have to use MacOffice as my course will include group work as means of assessment. I know iWork can work with Office, but is it any better? I'm used to using Office 2007, so I'm thinking it's wise for me to stick with what I know. Friends I know with Macs have argued with me on this though and protest that iWork is better and the time you need to get used to it is worth it.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

ReputationRep:
    I have the lower processor and mine works fine. Not had any problems with it.

If you're planning on taking it lectures you might want to buy a rubber keyboard or something, the keys are fairly noisy in comparison to other laptops i've used.

I use iWork, I quite like it, much simpler than Office (I had works in the past, so couldn't get hold of office). I've heard that Office on a Mac just isn't as good as it's supposed to be.

Also take into account that you get a couple hundred quid knocked off for being a student!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I have the lower processor and mine works fine. Not had any problems with it.

If you're planning on taking it lectures you might want to buy a rubber keyboard or something, the keys are fairly noisy in comparison to other laptops i've used.

I use iWork, I quite like it, much simpler than Office (I had works in the past, so couldn't get hold of office). I've heard that Office on a Mac just isn't as good as it's supposed to be.

Also take into account that you get a couple hundred quid knocked off for being a student!
    Yep, I've worked out that my current ideal Macbook will cost about £940, not incuding iWork or Office.

I'm intrigued as to what the problems about MacOffice are though...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Yep, I've worked out that my current ideal Macbook will cost about £940, not incuding iWork or Office.

Buggy and slow from what I've read/heard.

ReputationRep:
    iwork is better than macoffice. - can open ms word etc.

0.2ghz isnt going to make much difference imo
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, if you are going to notice the difference between 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz then the processes aren't fast enough for you anyway. The price difference doesn't justify it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I've heard that Office on a Mac just isn't as good as it's supposed to be.
    True in the past, but Office 2011 for Mac is absolutely brilliant and much more comprehensive than iWork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    True in the past, but Office 2011 for Mac is absolutely brilliant and much more comprehensive than iWork.
    Well, the Apple online store are selling the '08 version pre-installed for £70! Definitely not going to buy that, as Software for Students are selling '11 version for £38. That's also cheaper than iWork...

For convenience' sake, it's probably worth going for Office. I stand a better chance of understanding it!

ReputationRep:
    The 2.4Ghz one is good enough. The difference between that an the 2.6Ghz one isn't enough to justify the price difference. if you want a bigger hard drive, just buy one seperatly and slap it in (Apple overcharge like mad on RAM and hard drives).

As for Lion, its probably not going to be released until the summer so its up to you if you want to wait. From what apple have shown, it doesn't look like a huge upgrade tbh, but it is quite early and they haven't shown much. But if you get one now, you can still put Lion on it when they release it.

The major sticking point is that apple are rumoured to be upgrading the Macbook Pro line sometime at the start of 2011. Sometime between January and April probably. Its nothing solid right now, but rumours are about Intels new CPU's (sandy bridge), lightpeak (a faster bus that Intel hopes will compete with USB 3.0) and an SSD as standard.

Another thing to take into account is that if you wait until you actually start uni, you will get around 15% off.

If its anything, I'm getting a 13" Macbook Pro for xmas (half paid by my parents, half by me). I'm more than happy about getting it despite the rumours.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well, the Apple online store are selling the '08 version pre-installed for £70! Definitely not going to buy that, as Software for Students are selling '11 version for £38. That's also cheaper than iWork...

For convenience' sake, it's probably worth going for Office. I stand a better chance of understanding it!
    Definitely go for the 2011 version. I prefer it to iWork, tbqh.

ReputationRep:

Sorry I can't help you. I've never used it just rumours. Maybe you could look online.

You get cheaper AppleCare aswell. Instead of £200, it's only £50!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll end up saving the money until July/August and then go to the Apple Store to buy one. If the chances are that an upgrade will have been released by then; the wait will be worth it!

A bit worried they'll put the price up though Hopefully £950/£1000 should be enough. I've wanted a Mac for long enough, but I don't think I could justify spending over a grand on a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask...Why are you paying more for a Macbook when you could get a similar if not better laptop for cheaper?
    Not trying to troll I just want your personal opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonkin)
    Can I ask...Why are you paying more for a Macbook when you could get a similar if not better laptop for cheaper?
    Not trying to troll I just want your personal opinion
    I've just had really bad experiences with Windows and PC products.

Based on my iPod's quality and functionality; I'd rather go for a Mac than another brand of laptop that I can't trust.

I've got friends who've had their Macbooks for around 3 or 4 years. In that time, I've gone through three £400 laptops that have died due to hardware problems and poor construction. IMO Apple products have a much higher build quality and I genuinely have more trust in their products than I do with Dell, HP, Sony etc.

ReputationRep:
    edit again - ok TSR seems to be doubling this post for some reason. So when I edited my second one to apologise for the double post, it edited the first one too, deleting what I posted.
    Oh well.
    Basic of what I said:

Design
    Build Quality
    OSX
    Portability
    Performance for size / weight etc.

ReputationRep:
    The 2.4ghz model is fast enough. When you want to do serious work plug it into a big monitor/TV.

iWork is nice and works great, but I usually use Office for Mac, its even better than the Windows version.

ReputationRep:
    Office for Mac 2011 is amazing! I didn't much like 2008, but then I had training on 2011 and it's so much better, and better than Office 2010 (Windows).

ReputationRep:
    Here is a video of last year's 2.53ghz mbp (I very often flash this video on this forum as I feel it really shows the true power of an SSD combined with OSX) running an SSD if you want to see speed:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioY380Fm7j4 - skip to 1:10

I highly recommend picking up an SSD when prices fall.

The 2.4 and the 2.6 are so similar in terms of performance that you will not notice a difference. Don't buy yet either - the macbooks are due a refresh in early 2011 with hopefully newer processors and better graphics cards (most probably somewhere around the february-march period). I don't think they will raise the price of a baseline 13" macbook pro above £1000 and in any case you get a student discount as well (as well as extended higher education 3 year warranty).

Waiting till the summer months means you are also entitled to a free iPod touch when you buy your mac using Apple's back to school offer.

You probably want one as soon as you have the money together for one. I would wait until at least the refresh which is only a few months away. You would be getting a lot more for your money that way as I suspect the new refreshed range will be similarly priced to this range (as it so often is).

Finally, don't customise your mac with RAM or extra HDD space. Apple charge extortionate prices for those and you can get alot more value if you upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself. This doesn't invalidate your warranty either and Apple even provide you with instructions on how to do so should you wish to upgrade your computer.

ReputationRep:
    I love my macbook pro 13' its perfect for everything i need to do and what I want it for.
    I also use the office for macbook and its fine, its not difficult to use at first you just have to get used to finding all the icons and all the tools you need.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I'm saving up all the money I'm earning on my Gap Year so that I can buy a MacBook Pro and other bits for Uni. However, I'm completely confused as to which MacBook Pro I should go for. My budget is £1k, but within this there are a lot of possibilities.

I know for certain that I'd like the 13in so I can carry it to/from lectures with ease and then hook it up to a monitor/my tv in my Uni room when I get in. Hoe wever, I'm not really sure whether I'm going to need a 2.4ghz processor or a 2.6ghz one. There's quite a big price difference between the two. With my music collection and photos that will be put onto it, I will opt for a 320gb hard drive (and then buy a portable one as well).

I should have the money by mid-January, but I've heard rumours that Apple will shortly be releasing Mac OS Lion and there's a good chance that they'll release an altered MacBook as well before the end of 2011. Is it worth waiting for a possible new release? Or should I just get the existing one when I have the money? I can get a student discount now, so would it be worth buying my Mac ASAP or waiting until August/July time?

Another question relates to iWork and MacOffice. I'm fairly sure I'm going to have to use MacOffice as my course will include group work as means of assessment. I know iWork can work with Office, but is it any better? I'm used to using Office 2007, so I'm thinking it's wise for me to stick with what I know. Friends I know with Macs have argued with me on this though and protest that iWork is better and the time you need to get used to it is worth it.

Can anyone offer me some advice?
    I would go with the cheaper one as there are more advantageous things to spend the extra money on (like an SSD drive). I would advise going for the cheapest MBP with no upgrades and then upgrading the hard drive to either a 500GB HDD or a 256GB SSD. The latter will cost you about £250 shipped from the US on ebay, but you will reap the rewards in fast loading times. Either way, buy them yourself rather than through apple as they charge a fortune... plus you can then get a £5 hard drive enclosure and use the HD that came with your MBP as an external drive.

Regarding the production suite, I have used most of them and would recommend iWork over Office 2008 BUT Office 2011 over iWork. Office 2008 is terrible but the new 2011 version is excellent and much more like the windows version. I would go with that if you are used to office 2007.

Hope that helps ;-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.