Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Risk of burning Hair when straightening Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

May seem a silly question but im a male and would be new to this straightening business. My hair is curly and medium length( for a male, therefore its nowhere near shoulder length but would come down to my eyebrows if i made a fringe out of it). When it is curly, it sort of looks like an afro, mini-ish I guess.

Would my hair be too short to straighten? And What are the chances of burning your hair, I'm worried lol. Obviously I would only straighten when my hair is completely dry, but what if you spent too long on a single bunch of hair, how long before it gets burnt?

Thnx, help a newbie!

ReputationRep:
    Buy some heat protection spray.
    Job done.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any girl friends that could do it for you for the first time? Most of the guys I know who straighten their hair had someone else do it the first time and then liked it so kept on doing it. That way you can watch to learn how and find out whether you like it or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becciboo)
    Have you got any girl friends that could do it for you for the first time? Most of the guys I know who straighten their hair had someone else do it the first time and then liked it so kept on doing it. That way you can watch to learn how and find out whether you like it or not...
    Yeh I do, but I didnt knw when they would be doing it, maybe I should wait, they did say before the Xmas holidays...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll be fine, with or without heat protection (I recommend you to use heat protection though, it keeps your hair in better condition)
    you'll know if it's starting to burn anyway, if in doubt, straighten it fast and gradually get slower. Honestly you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I straighten my hair nearly every day and have done for over 10 years, and Ive never burnt my hair.

Have burnt my fingers and neck quite a few times though, ouch (accidentally, obviously!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutumnRoseee)
    Yeah you'll be fine, with or without heat protection (I recommend you to use heat protection though, it keeps your hair in better condition)
    you'll know if it's starting to burn anyway, if in doubt, straighten it fast and gradually get slower. Honestly you'll be fine!
    I hope so, I'd like to think my hair is as resistant as what is 'normal' lol. As a very general technique, do you have to grasp the hair in a bunch, then put the clip of the straightener to grip it, then run it through that bunch of hair? And you keep doing that for all the hair lol? What about straightening hair at the back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gangsta Boogie)
    I hope so, I'd like to think my hair is as resistant as what is 'normal' lol. As a very general technique, do you have to grasp the hair in a bunch, then put the clip of the straightener to grip it, then run it through that bunch of hair? And you keep doing that for all the hair lol? What about straightening hair at the back?
    Yeah thats the general technique, its honestly quite easy when you get used to it!
    I just grab my hair in sections, and then straighten it (obviously taking my hand off the section before the straightners get to my hand!) and do that for all my hair, I straighten quite quickly anyway, so it shouldnt take you too long, and your hair deffinatly shouldnt burn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gangsta Boogie)
    Yeh I do, but I didnt knw when they would be doing it, maybe I should wait, they did say before the Xmas holidays...
    I'd recommend just waiting. It's not that long till the Christmas holidays. Just arrange to meet up at someones house or something

ReputationRep:
    Use heat protection spray and when straightening - go over a piece of hair quickly several times rather than one long drawn out go over. Less chance of damage

ReputationRep:
    Purchase some heat protection spray - i use lee stafford and have to say it is very good.

If your unsure about straightening for the first time get someone to straighten your hair and watch how they do it. After a few times of doing it it becomes second nature.

If you want some good quality straightners at a good price, i recommend Tj Hughes, they have the top brands such as babyliss in for not much money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.