Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shorter Working Week to be announced? Watch

ReputationRep:
    UN Summit in Istanbul this April pledges to discuss the British request to shorten the working week from five days to four. The phrase TGIF will have amazing force once again.

If this was true would you intelligent lads support it?

Edit: This is not a troll

ReputationRep:
    i have never understood how shortening the week can help... can anyone intelligent give me any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    can you link me a source please? Id really like to see this for myself.

inb4 google (busy)

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ****ing NOT! I don't get enough of the stuff I want done in five days, and that's hustling solidly for 10-14 hours a day. Four day working weeks are designed for the lazy and socially regressive :hand:

The government are also planning to move the clocks forward ANOTHER HOUR tommorrow so it gets dark in the summer at 11:30 PM. What is this bull**** honestly?!?! Do these politicians have no limit to the amount of ways they want to make the electorates lives worse :lolwut:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the working week is pretty much 6 days not 5.

ReputationRep:
    The only people in this country getting their working week shortened will be those getting made redundant.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the industry really. Plenty of studies out there show that 4 day weeks or having staff agree to different shift patterns (4 on, 4 off for example) has led to an increase in productivity and general happiness.

9-5 Mon-Fri is sorely out-dated.

Consider the average 37.5 hour week where you're in the place for generally 40 hours put lose 2.5 hours of pay somehow.

Say you switched to 4x12 hour shifts with 2 hour breaks that cuts the day into 3x4 hour chunks. Then you get 3 days off at the end. Sounds more than epic to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    The only people in this country getting their working week shortened will be those getting made redundant.
    Nice one.

Impossible to shorten the standard working week. Government cannot legislate working days, only maximum worked hours, which can be opted out of anyway

ReputationRep:
    great idea

won't happen though as big business will not allow it

ReputationRep:
    Awful idea. Unless they bumped up the minimum wage as well. That's a day's less pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Awful idea. Unless they bumped up the minimum wage as well. That's a day's less pay.
    but one less day a week under the control of your corporate masters.

and no-one stops you working sat or sun as it is currently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    but one less day a week under the control of your corporate masters.

and no-one stops you working sat or sun as it is currently
    Why am i not suprised to hear that from you. Thats why you hate this government because their going to stop your benefits, this isnt true but what about people like me who sometimes work 7 days a week and work every single saturday...we've got our own business and i like to make more money so i can spend it on luxurious hollidays rather then giving my hard earned money to other people i prefer to keep it to myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    Depends on the industry really. Plenty of studies out there show that 4 day weeks or having staff agree to different shift patterns (4 on, 4 off for example) has led to an increase in productivity and general happiness.

9-5 Mon-Fri is sorely out-dated.

Consider the average 37.5 hour week where you're in the place for generally 40 hours put lose 2.5 hours of pay somehow.

Say you switched to 4x12 hour shifts with 2 hour breaks that cuts the day into 3x4 hour chunks. Then you get 3 days off at the end. Sounds more than epic to me.
    So you're suggesting people should spend 14 hours a day at work? Yeah, I'm sure single parents will appreciate choosing between starting work early so they can come home and look after their children or taking their children to school and finish working at 11pm :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    So work less, get paid more? Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    can we have a link please (just a little bit of proof that its not a troll would go down a treat )

ReputationRep:
    Don't think its a good idea. My Dad said once that everyone used to have a half day one day a week....I think it was a Wednesday.
    He wants that brought back! Very different world we live in now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Nice one.

Impossible to shorten the standard working week. Government cannot legislate working days, only maximum worked hours, which can be opted out of anyway
    So how do sunday trading laws work then...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    can we have a link please (just a little bit of proof that its not a troll would go down a treat )
    That's why I said "If this were true..."

Wasn't technically trolling just an interesting fabrication to draw you in to my real question. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    I've noticed in a couple of places you making threads more political then they were intended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    Don't think its a good idea.
    Surely if you love holidays it'll be great, increase the number of days off and the money will follow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.