Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can you become an English Teacher with a degree only in English language?

I was wondering if it is possible or what you're chances are of becoming a secondary school English Teacher with only a degree in English Language/English Language with linguistics. If not, what other fields of teaching could you enter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nealam)

I was wondering if it is possible or what you're chances are of becoming a secondary school English Teacher with only a degree in English Language/English Language with linguistics. If not, what other fields of teaching could you enter?
    You would have to show that you have sufficient knowledge of English literature, and if you could not do this in the normal way (i.e. covering it on your degree), you would most likely be asked to take a subject-enhancement course; assuming, that is, you are interested in secondary - if you are interested in primary your degree should be fine. I would not be put off though as you are in a far stronger position than most candidates. Of course, if 'traditional teaching' was not what you were interested in then you could consider teaching English as a foreign language, or teaching it as key skills (in a further education college) etc., etc..

ReputationRep:
    I got told I would be considered for a place on a Secondary English PGCE with a degree in linguistics as I have As in both English Language and English Literature as separate subjects at A level. You should contact the universities you're interested in and ask or most of them have it on their website

I don't really see how its much different to an English Literature graduate having to show they can deal with the English language side of the course, that's far more technical and requires more subject knowledge (in my opinion) than Lit at A level.

ReputationRep:
    The teacher I had for AS/A2 level had a degree in Sociology and taught KS3/GCSE/A Level. She was a fantastic teacher, and I actually got 100% in her paper at AS!

ReputationRep:
    As long as your course has content of 50% subject knowledge that the subject you want to teach requires you should be fine. It is down to individually places.
    The thing they will look more closely at is how much work experience with children and in schools you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    You would have to show that you have sufficient knowledge of English literature, and if you could not do this in the normal way (i.e. covering it on your degree), you would most likely be asked to take a subject-enhancement course; assuming, that is, you are interested in secondary - if you are interested in primary your degree should be fine. I would not be put off though as you are in a far stronger position than most candidates. Of course, if 'traditional teaching' was not what you were interested in then you could consider teaching English as a foreign language, or teaching it as key skills (in a further education college) etc., etc..
    With English Language, I find that it is completely different to English Literature. I am doing both English Language and Literature separately at A-levels, but wish to pursue English Language further at degree level.
    If I had to do a subject enhancement course, what would that involve?
    Have I got more/less of a chance of being an English Teacher if I just do an English Language/Linguistics degree than another candidate who is doing a normal English degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nealam)

At the school where I'm a TA the Deputy Head of English has a language/linguistics degree, and another English teacher has a Media/Film degree, so it's clearly not impossible! The Deputy went straight into teaching from university too, she didn't need an SKE or anything. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I got told I would be considered for a place on a Secondary English PGCE with a degree in linguistics as I have As in both English Language and English Literature as separate subjects at A level. You should contact the universities you're interested in and ask or most of them have it on their website

I don't really see how its much different to an English Literature graduate having to show they can deal with the English language side of the course, that's far more technical and requires more subject knowledge (in my opinion) than Lit at A level.
    That's good to hear, I'm doing english language, french and english literature at a level at the moment and was thinking about doing just a linguistics degree but I want to go into teaching english!

So that's good to hear!

ReputationRep:
    I got a place on an English PGCE starting this year, and my degree was in linguistics. I did get an A level in literature, but I only got a C in it.

The only problem you will have is your attitude towards it. In my interview I was asked what I did once I found out I had an interview offer and I was completely honest, I said I bought a load of curriculum books off Amazon and crammed reading them because I was worried I had less to offer as someone without a literature degree. They said they respected my honesty and, should I be offered a place, that wouldn't matter as I would be given a reading list and chances to develop my literature knowledge. There was another linguistics grad at my interview who made no attempt to respect literature, at one point he even straight out said "I don't like Shakespeare"... I bet I won't be seeing him in September.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.