what is better and more scoring

other than these two subjects i have taken

IT (HL)
    chemistry(HL)
    English literature(?)
    physics(?)
    French(sl)
    maths(sl)

in the future i am interested in working in the field of computers (cryptography encryption,software...etc.)

Thank You in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asking)
    what is better and more scoring

other than these two subjects i have taken

IT (HL)
    chemistry(HL)
    English literature(?)
    physics(?)
    French(sl)
    maths(sl)

in the future i am interested in working in the field of computers (cryptography encryption,software...etc.)

Thank You in advance
    Physics HL will look much much better in applications to do things like computer science. If you want to maximise your grade rather than pick what you really want (which I don't approve of but whatever :rolleyes:), Physics has more people getting 7's than English, about 9% got a 7 in Physics HL this May compared to 2% in English HL. If you're good at Physics, you'll most likely do better in it anyway, and it's more of a "sure" grade if you revise and prepare well, because the marking is much more clear and less wishy washy than English.

Personally I would advise you to do maths HL instead of either though. If you do end up doing computer science, a lot of universities will require it.

ReputationRep:
    Echoed, a seven in Maths HL is required to study Computer Science in the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    maths hl is difficult i did it for one term and got a 4

ReputationRep:
    My suggestion: push chemistry and English to SL, and take Physics HL and Maths HL if you want to do anything with computers. If you suck at Maths HL...either put the time in and improve or drop your dream of pursuing computer science-ish stuff.

I took both Physics HL and English HL when I did IB, and they are both very interesting courses. Physics HL is by far the most rewarding course I took in IB, frankly because of all the interesting things you actually learn and retain if you have the Tsokos textbook. It's a lot of work, the exams can be brutal and you may get entirely lost when you deal with some physics sections, but it is ENTIRELY worth it. English HL was quite a bit of reading, but the exams at the end were very very easy. It's the World Literature papers and IOC that get you in trouble a little bit (hard to do poorly but hard to do exceptional as well). That being said, it is worth it as well. The books and poems are top notch, the writing assignments are *gasp* fun, and it doesn't require THAT much work to do well.

If you are REMOTELY interested in taking something requiring English in university (even if it is HIGHLY unlikely you will take it)...if there's a 2% chance you will want to do something with English, take both of these courses at the Higher Level.

It does sound to me like computer science is your thing, so listen to the advice of the people above me as well. YOU NEED MATHS HL UNLESS YOU COME TO CANADA FOR UNI (OR MOST OF NORTH AMERICA).

If you need any more IB advice, I'm on every once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Physics is a ton easier.
    I take both.
    I took English 'cos I quite liked it at GCSEs, but I have my IOCs coming up (which I missed initially 'cos of Cambridge interviews) and studying for it is really really annoying, and it's really hard to get a 7 in, like harder than Math HL...
    So make of that what you will.
    Physics: you can get a 7 if you just rote-memorize the Study Guide and know which equations fit where. I didn't do practice papers for mocks and still made a 7. Furthermore, it gets interesting in your options .

Haha anywayz gta go back to Heaney and Keats poetry now :P

ReputationRep:
    Physics without a doubt. It's much more relevant if you want to do stuff in computer science.

That, and English is the biggest load of nonsense in the world (after ToK )

ReputationRep:
    Phyicsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

ReputationRep:
    Passing English A1 HL will be much easier than Physics. But obtaining a 7 in Physics will be easier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.