Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you appraise the mental health of others?

Do you think people who are too quiet, too bigoted, too egocentric, or too indecisive are mentally sick, whether this be in day to day contexts?

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot. Does that count?

ReputationRep:
    Yes... Yes I do it all the time.
    Oh. Wait. That's right, I haven't got over 10 years medical training and experience in the field of psychiatry and general medicine, and therefore can't diagnose anybody with anything.

ReputationRep:
    lol.. how am I an idiot? I think that it's common. I commonly think that if a person has large ego, or doesn't say much, or has unsubstantiated prejudice, or is overly cruel and malevolent, they have a mental health issue.

ReputationRep:
    er.... no.

ReputationRep:
    No. I do worry if people judge me though...

ReputationRep:
    I don't go around mentally diagnosing people, no. I do quite like watching people and trying to figure them out though.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I might judge their personalities but not their MENTAL HEALTH.

Although there's this one girl I know and literally every bloody thing that comes out of her mouth is a lie, even little, stupid things as well as completely ridiculous things which I can't believe she'd think I'd believe and I once wondered if she was a pathological liar, but then I realised that was stupid and she was just desperate and attention seeking. So I guess not.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Wait, are we talking about mental states or personality?

ReputationRep:
    mental states.

ReputationRep:
    How are you supposed to judge someone's mental health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

Do you think people who are too quiet, too bigoted, too egocentric, or too indecisive are mentally sick, whether this be in day to day contexts?
    If I meet someone who is exerting symptoms of some sort of mental illness then I generally pick up on it very quickly as I have studied it so much.

That said, I don't actively consider it when I meet a new person, nor do I see those traits as pathology unless they really are significant and paired with other quirks.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, no.

But I am sure that people judge mine.

ReputationRep:

I've spent every Thursday morning the past few months in a secure psychiatric unit so I have a pretty open mind. I try not to judge people because I'm no saint myself. I prefer to judge myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    How are you supposed to judge someone's mental health?
    by their thoughts and actions.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm psychotic.

ReputationRep:
    Well I do observe behaviour and am interested in it. I definitely don't think they have poor mental health for those reasons though, especially since i'm a quiet one myself :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    I've spent every Thursday morning the past few months in a secure psychiatric unit so I have a pretty open mind. I try not to judge people because I'm no saint myself. I prefer to judge myself.
    isn't that simply politically correct thinking?

ReputationRep:
    isn't that simply politically correct thinking?
    It's just the way I want to live my life. If people spent more time judging themselves than other people, the world would be a better place to live. To quote Dale Carnegie:

'Do you know someone you would like to change and regulate and improve? Good! That is fine. I am all in favour of it. But why not begin on yourself? From a purely selfish standpoint, that is a lot more profitable than trying to improve others-yes, and a lot less dangerous. 'Don't complain about the snow on your neighbour's roof,' said Confucious, 'when your own doorstep is unclean.'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.