Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi! I've recently started talking to the loveliest guy at my sixth form, and he offers me lifts everywhere and sits down and chats with me, and made me a cup of tea when I was doing my work in the study room, and basically, he's just great. (and hot!!)
    His family are very strict Mormons, and he doesn't drink or smoke, but I was wondering what the the guidelines were for relationships?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    OP do you think you have found 'the one'

no touching/kissing/ sex before marriage. In extreme cases

Btw im pretty sure mormons dont drink tea...

(Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    OP do you think you have found 'the one'
    I don't know :/ I'm only in sixth form!
    Would it need to be leading somewhere definite?
    And what are the views regarding sex etc?
    He is so amazing though :/

ReputationRep:
    Strict Mormons eh...well then here's what comes to mind, a lot of this will be quite heavy stuff to do with marriage and your life long-term which obviously isn't what you're looking for right now I imagine, but if it became serious over the long term these things would be important.

Firstly I'd imagine they'd want to you to become a Mormon yourself, you'd have to be to get a proper Mormon marriage.

No sex before marriage, nor masturbation, even lust itself actually(mental behaviour). He, or at least his family, would probably prefer him to have quite a few children. Gender roles are often quite traditional, as in the man goes out to earn money, the woman looks after the kids at home.

You may well have a celestial marriage. You'd have to become a Mormon yourself I believe and your family would have to fulfil a few criteria if they wished to join the ceremony, such as following the doctrine of Mormonism and being interviewed by the Priest/Bishop. To be able to have this marriage(which is what they recognise as the correct type in their faith) you have to follow quite a few customs, there's more then just going to Church on a Sunday, they have a lot of services you'd have to go to.

If you were members of the church you would pay a tithe, like when the collection plate is passed around but it's more like a tax on your income, not sure what the general percentage is but it's significant. Assuming you were married, and so had to be endowed to the Church, I believe you have to wear some sort of garment at all times, this can be under regular clothes mind.

If you're a gambler, you're out of luck, it's a big no no.

...there's a lot more information, especially on what the Church requires of members when it comes to religious get together and giving up time to do things, but I can't remember them well enough.

ReputationRep:
    Just strip for him and his male instincts will come out

ReputationRep:
    They practice polygamy and wear magic underwear.

ReputationRep:
    His parents might have problems with you dating, especialy since youre not mormon - and i assume not christian.
    He would probably want you to convert (if you were to get married), your relationship wouldnt be very physical unless you marry him. A lot of mormons will try and treat their financé like a sister, so no kissing. In reality, you should probably try and work out how individualy strict he is, he might be a bit of a rebel, you just don't know.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.