Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm trying to tone up a bit and lose a bit of stubborn belly fat. I have my exercise situation pretty much sorted.

Mon - HIIT followed by upper body weights and Karate later on
    Tues - Longer cardio (about 30-40 minutes) followed by Ju Jitsu later on in the evening
    Weds - HIIT followed by lower body weights
    Thurs - MMA
    Friday - HIIT followed by upper body weights
    Saturday - Cardio followed by lower body weights
    Sunday - Rest

Bear in mind I'm a student (aren't we all?) so my financial situation only allows me a really basic diet. My diet consists at the moment of:

Breakfast - Weetabix with semi skimmed milk

Snack - Either a piece of fruit or a breakfast type bar

Lunch - Beans on Toast (wholemeal bread)

Snack - Bag of nuts/piece of fruit

Dinner - Chicken/Salmon/Turkey with mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, sweetcorn).

For losing weight I know you don't want to eat many carbs, and the ones that you do eat should be complex carbs. My question is am I getting enough carbs from the wholemeal toast and veg or should I include maybe some wholemeal pasta for lunch?

Any edits to my exercise plan if you have some suggestions are also welcome, but I'm really more interested in the nutritional side of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    So I'm trying to tone up a bit and lose a bit of stubborn belly fat. I have my exercise situation pretty much sorted.

Mon - HIIT followed by upper body weights and Karate later on
    Tues - Longer cardio (about 30-40 minutes) followed by Ju Jitsu later on in the evening
    Weds - HIIT followed by lower body weights
    Thurs - MMA
    Friday - HIIT followed by upper body weights
    Saturday - Cardio followed by lower body weights
    Sunday - Rest
    You're doing pretty much everything in the wrong order. Doing cardio or HIIT before resistance training is going to have a negative effect on the amount you can lift, the volume you can maintain and your technique. Always do cardio or HIIT AFTER resistance training. Secondly doing cardio, HIIT and weights before Karate or Jiu Jitsu is again, going to have a negative effect on your technique work.

Personally I'd drop the upper/lower split in favour of a full body workout 2-3 times per week on alternate days to your MMA/karate/JJ preferably with a rest day in between (eg; Tuesday, Friday, Sunday or just Tuesday and Friday). HIIT I would limit to your lifting days and gentle cardio at most before your technique work.

Bear in mind I'm a student (aren't we all?) so my financial situation only allows me a really basic diet. My diet consists at the moment of:

Breakfast - Weetabix with semi skimmed milk

Snack - Either a piece of fruit or a breakfast type bar

Lunch - Beans on Toast (wholemeal bread)

Snack - Bag of nuts/piece of fruit

Dinner - Chicken/Salmon/Turkey with mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, sweetcorn).

For losing weight I know you don't want to eat many carbs, and the ones that you do eat should be complex carbs. My question is am I getting enough carbs from the wholemeal toast and veg or should I include maybe some wholemeal pasta for lunch?
    I know you're trying to lose weight but for the amount of exercise you're doing there isn't anywhere near enough calories there or quality food.

The bulk of your calorific intake is coming from carbohydrates - there is very little protein there or fats. Get a decent portion of protein into every main meal (eg; chicken, tuna, beans, lentils, several eggs, etc), as well as a decent portion of vegetables and quality carbs (eg; beans, lentils, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, etc). I would limit simple carbs to 1-2 hours pre workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    You're doing pretty much everything in the wrong order. Doing cardio or HIIT before resistance training is going to have a negative effect on the amount you can lift, the volume you can maintain and your technique. Always do cardio or HIIT AFTER resistance training. Secondly doing cardio, HIIT and weights before Karate or Jiu Jitsu is again, going to have a negative effect on your technique work.

Personally I'd drop the upper/lower split in favour of a full body workout 2-3 times per week on alternate days to your MMA/karate/JJ preferably with a rest day in between (eg; Tuesday, Friday, Sunday or just Tuesday and Friday). HIIT I would limit to your lifting days and gentle cardio at most before your technique work.

I know you're trying to lose weight but for the amount of exercise you're doing there isn't anywhere near enough calories there or quality food.

The bulk of your calorific intake is coming from carbohydrates - there is very little protein there or fats. Get a decent portion of protein into every main meal (eg; chicken, tuna, beans, lentils, several eggs, etc), as well as a decent portion of vegetables and quality carbs (eg; beans, lentils, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, etc). I would limit simple carbs to 1-2 hours pre workout.

So perhaps an omlette for breakfast? That'd get me some protein from the eggs, lunch beans on toast... with maybe some tuna on top? That sounds yummy to me. For the dinner I am having quite large portions of chicken as dinner tends to be straight after a work out. I will take your exercise regime into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    So perhaps an omlette for breakfast? That'd get me some protein from the eggs
    That sounds better, or scrambled eggs but don't be silly - I'm talking about several whole eggs.

lunch beans on toast... with maybe some tuna on top?
    Again, that sounds better. There's only around 20-25g of protein in a whole tin of baked beans which isn't particularly much considering that with your activity levels and goals you should be aiming for 1g per lb of bodyweight.

For the dinner I am having quite large portions of chicken as dinner tends to be straight after a work out.
    So long as it is (eg; two chicken breasts).

I will take your exercise regime into consideration.
    Quality over quantity. If you're doing martial arts training, cardio or HIIT and/or weight training on the same day or even on multiple consecutive days it's unlikely that you're training hard enough - scale back the frequency but up the intensity and/or the weights.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Re-drafted the plan. Got Monday, Tues and Thurs as 'Martial Arts' days, Weds, Fri and Sunday as my full body workout followed by HIIT, and then Saturday as my rest day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.