The Student Room Group

AS level D in the subject you want to do a degree in?

My best friend got a D at AS level in History, and has always wanted to do a degree in it so hasn't let this put her off. She's planning to resit one of the exams (/modules? idk) in January to improve her grade.
She has applied to some good universities, such as Leicester and Lancaster, but I'm worried because they have quite high grade requirements for history as it's a really competitive course. I know it's her decision, but I feel like I'd be partially responsible, as her best friend, for not advising her against this should she get rejections. Her AS grades are ABDDD, with the AB in the other 2 subjects she has carried on with.
I am in no way saying that a D is a terrible grade but fear that she stands a small chance against other applicants with say an A in history, considering how hard it is to get a place these days. She hasn't mentioned anything about her grade/intention to resit on the personal statement, and has focussed on her interest in historical literature and plans to go into primary teaching.
I have heard that, as a general rule, you shouldn't apply for a course if you haven't already met the standard offer they make...is this true? And if so, should I say anything to her or let her make her own decision? She doesn't seem phased by her grade, and I wouldn't want to upset her by suggesting she's not good enough for the universities that she really wants to go to (I really think she is capable of improving in the resit.)
So my question is, is it normal for people to apply for a degree in a subject that they have underperformed in, and will she be given equal consideration?

Thank you for reading and sorry it's a bit lengthy!

Scroll to see replies

If she feels that she can improve the grade then why not.

If she hasn't sent off her application persuade her to put a CCD Uni at least to give her a chance of getting in.

And if she does improve her grade she can call around to the other Unis and see what happens.

However if her personal statement is AMAZING she may be offered a conditional to see if she can meet the requirements.
What are her predictions?
Remember the offers are based on what she gets at A2, AS grades are used as an indicator.Plus AS grades are only one part of the application, if her gcses,predictions and ps is amazing she still has a shot.
I currently have an offer of AAB which is higher than my AS grades of ABB. I'm resitting a module in each B, I made my PS as good as I could and have A*AA predictions. So all is not lost, just make sure she has a low option.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you both for the advice. I'm not sure about her predictions, but I think for history she has been given a B and I know that for English literature she has an A.
Yes, she does have a low option, so I guess there is no harm in her having a few high risk choices :smile: Thanks again.
Reply 4
My friend wasn't even allowed to take History at GCSE (her level wasn't high enough) and is now doing it at degree level.
Reply 5
I got a D in history at AS level and I'm applying for archaeology and anthropology, so obviously history is important. But I'm doing retakes and I've been predicted a B, and so far I have offers from Exeter, Birmingham and Kent, awaiting replies from Bristol and Durham.

She should be fine, everyone screws up on the odd exam :smile: As long as she works hard it'll be okay.
Reply 6
If her PS is good and she has the right predicted grades, then she definitely has a shot, however I would still urge her to put down an insurance choice.
Were there any extenuating circumstances around her getting a D at AS?
Reply 7
Original post by un-besito
My best friend got a D at AS level in History, and has always wanted to do a degree in it so hasn't let this put her off. She's planning to resit one of the exams (/modules? idk) in January to improve her grade.
She has applied to some good universities, such as Leicester and Lancaster, but I'm worried because they have quite high grade requirements for history as it's a really competitive course. I know it's her decision, but I feel like I'd be partially responsible, as her best friend, for not advising her against this should she get rejections. Her AS grades are ABDDD, with the AB in the other 2 subjects she has carried on with.
I am in no way saying that a D is a terrible grade but fear that she stands a small chance against other applicants with say an A in history, considering how hard it is to get a place these days. She hasn't mentioned anything about her grade/intention to resit on the personal statement, and has focussed on her interest in historical literature and plans to go into primary teaching.
I have heard that, as a general rule, you shouldn't apply for a course if you haven't already met the standard offer they make...is this true? And if so, should I say anything to her or let her make her own decision? She doesn't seem phased by her grade, and I wouldn't want to upset her by suggesting she's not good enough for the universities that she really wants to go to (I really think she is capable of improving in the resit.)
So my question is, is it normal for people to apply for a degree in a subject that they have underperformed in, and will she be given equal consideration?

Thank you for reading and sorry it's a bit lengthy!

My best friend (coincident, i agree :biggrin: ) had E's and D's for her A level and just about scraped a pass in her GCSEs-but I guess the University she is now studying at saw potential and took her on. She was, offered a conditional place based on A level results-didn't get them...so was offered to do the foundation course before the degree (at the same uni). This is now the first year of her degree :biggrin:

All the best! :wink:
p.s: how nice of you to look out for your friend! :smile:
I got a D at as but B at A2, takes alot of work but it is possible :smile:
But then again I still went to a crappy uni... hmm.
Admittedly I'm at York St. John so a real uni might be different, but I got an E at A2 in history and am doing it now.
Reply 10
What I've applied to isn't specifically a biology course although it has links to it and some uni's say that you have to have it. I got a C overal in my AS and failed one exam which I am now resitting. I didn't mention it in my personal statement but you could tell I was resitting it due to what I've put on my education section. I'm predicted a C. I've now had 4 out of 5 offers and am still waiting for the other one. It's not directly linked but similar. Try to get her to put down one that is lower just in case.
When I applied to Uni the first time in 2009 (for History again - its a long story) - I had a D at AS. Admittedly, I only had it because I'd had a nervous breakdown that year - but still, it was a D. My other grades were ABC (including GS). I got four offers from Hull, Oxford Brookes, Leicester and QMUL - all ABB offers because of my PS and references.

So long as she applies to Unis accepting GS, and in the ABB range; she should be okay providing she can produce an amazing PS and solid references. I'd advise her to resit all of her AS History modules to boost her score. In my case, I got CDD first time round then when I re-sat, I got 100% in each of those modules and all of my A2 modules. It took a LOT of work and sheer determination but it is possible to jump up to an A from a D at AS.

If she is certain she can get ABB or AAB, it might be worth her taking a gap year to reapply. With the competition for places this year, it might be more difficult to get an offer.

It's not a big setback, if you're determined enough to overcome it! The other big thing is: she shouldn't let the letdown of a D get to her. If she knows she's capable of much much better and that it was a blip, she can overcome it. I just put the work it, got lots of advice and was determined as hell to get where i wanted to go. It worked, as I now possess 3As and a place at Nottingham.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
What I've applied to isn't specifically a biology course although it has links to it and some uni's say that you have to have it. I got a C overal in my AS and failed one exam which I am now resitting. I didn't mention it in my personal statement but you could tell I was resitting it due to what I've put on my education section. I'm predicted a C. I've now had 4 out of 5 offers and am still waiting for the other one. It's not directly linked but similar. Try to get her to put down one that is lower just in case.

I respectfully disagree, as someone with a slightly better perspective and success in this situation.

It is IMPERATIVE she mentions that she feels she underperformed, and that her teachers mention it in the references. If you tackle the issue with head on conviction and show determination to improve within the PS: Unis will be more likely to take your application seriously and take a risk by giving out an offer.
Reply 13
She shouldn't let a D put her off but she will need a good ps and to apply for a uni with lower entry grades as well as the higher ones.

Back in 2008 I struggled with my Chemistry A level and only got a D, at both As and A2, but I still got offers from all 5 of the unis I applied to. The A level grades are also not always a good indicator of how well you will do in that subject at uni. All the modules I've had 1sts in have been all the Chemistry modules despite only getting a D at A level.
To be honest, I thin kshe needs to work out why she got a D - i.e. was it literally just one module that went stupidly wrong, or was it across the course? History is hard, and the change from GCSE to AS is rally big - but then again it is from AS to A2 and from A2 to uni level. Sometimes liking a subject isn't enough =/
She'll certainly be disadvantaged in her aplication, but if resits can pull her up she still has a chance, but it's a question as to whether when she gets to uni she actually be suited to the course...
Reply 15
My friend got an E in the subject she wants to do at uni, and she has 4 offers from Russell group unis. So I suppose it is possible!
Reply 16
Original post by fredscarecrow
To be honest, I thin kshe needs to work out why she got a D - i.e. was it literally just one module that went stupidly wrong, or was it across the course? History is hard, and the change from GCSE to AS is rally big - but then again it is from AS to A2 and from A2 to uni level. Sometimes liking a subject isn't enough =/
She'll certainly be disadvantaged in her aplication, but if resits can pull her up she still has a chance, but it's a question as to whether when she gets to uni she actually be suited to the course...

Yeah, this is very true. I think that, in her case, she loves it and is really committed to it in terms of interest, but it isn't really her strongest area - she got a U in one module, and I think it was a C in the other. I personally think she would really excel in something like English literature (in which she got a strong A and also enjoys) but she only wants to do History.
Reply 17
Original post by History-Student
Admittedly I'm at York St. John so a real uni might be different, but I got an E at A2 in history and am doing it now.

She is applying to York St. John. Why do you say that it's not a real university? She said she really liked the university and the course which I think is the most important thing :smile:
I know someone who got a C and has an offer from Nottingham, so why not?
Reply 19
Original post by riotgrrl
If her PS is good and she has the right predicted grades, then she definitely has a shot, however I would still urge her to put down an insurance choice.
Were there any extenuating circumstances around her getting a D at AS?

Thank you :smile: No, there were no extenuating circumstances. She has put down Aberystwyth University as her insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending