Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get Bioshock 1 or 2? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this may seem like a stupid question to ask, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway.

I've recently seen trailers for Bioshock 2, and was planning to buy it. But, I'm not sure whether it's necessary to play through Bioshock first in order to understand it. At the moment, I can get Bioshock 2 for about £8, which is cheaper than buying the first game. So basically, can you play and enjoy the Bioshock 2 without playing Bioshock first?

ReputationRep:
    100% Bioshock 1!

Bioshock 1 was great because it had a really deep and immersive story that blended well with the gameplay and well rounded characters which kept it interesting.

Bioshock 2 is a big heap of crap that barely even bothers with the formality of a story characters are all 2D and it just smacks of a game that was rushed out to milk a franchise.

B1 is a great game, I wouldn't even bother with B2 period just wait for Bioshock Infinite after completing B1.

ReputationRep:
    No, I recommend you buy the first one, even if it is a little more expensive, it's brilliant and definitely worth it. I don't think you should play Bioshock 2 without getting into the Bioshock mode first. If you wanna start the series, do it properly and all the way through ^^

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like I should go for Bioshock then. Is Bioshock 2 really that bad though? I thought it looked quite good in the trailers.

ReputationRep:
    Bioshock 1 is the best game I have ever played. I just think the storyline, setting everything is incredible.

Bioshock 2 is a good game but not a patch on the first. Once you play 1, you will want to play 2!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draconia_93)
    It sounds like I should go for Bioshock then. Is Bioshock 2 really that bad though? I thought it looked quite good in the trailers.
    It's not that bad no - it just feels like a pretty generic fps which is a massive disappointment in comparison to the first game.

ReputationRep:
    First one is an immense game

ReputationRep:
    Bio 1
    fo' sho'

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Seems like I should definitely play Bioshock first! I think I'll have to get it pre-owned though, seems to be much cheaper. I was also wondering, how difficult are they in terms of gameplay?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Seems like I should definitely play Bioshock first! I think I'll have to get it pre-owned though, seems to be much cheaper. I was also wondering, how difficult are they in terms of gameplay?
    I wouldn't say they are very difficult but certainly challenging - in a good way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheep_go_baa)
    I wouldn't say they are very difficult but certainly challenging - in a good way.
    Ah, I don't mind challenging, would make a change from how easy most games are nowadays. The trailers made it look pretty hard, but I don't know whether that was just because of how tough the Big Daddy looked. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I bought Bioshock 1 but was wayyy too scared to play it
    I had to give it to my bf :p:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Bioshock 1. It gives a pretty decent back story as to why Rapture is the way it is (especially if you collect all the audio tapes).
    The second one is also good, but I don't think it's as good as the first one personally.

ReputationRep:
    I would just get the first game brand new - Bioshock, for its faults (which presumably are still evident in Bioshock 2 like the 'moral choices' which may as well have been tacked on at the end of the production) is a game that many people will want to keep for a long time, largely because of the setting. It's £11.40 on Xbox 360 and £13.49 on
    PS3, all on Amazon.co.uk.

Or it's on PC at Gamestation for only £5.99 :
    http://www.gamestation.co.uk/search.aspx?s=bioshock

(that's £1 cheaper than Game - they're actually part of the same group these days).

PC can be awkward though - I'd get it on console if you have one.

The cheapest that I ever saw the first Bioshock game brand new on Xbox 360 and PS3 was £10 each in an Asda Living store.

The second Bioshock game wasn't worked on by the man behind the whole concept, Ken Levine. In interviews, he has disassociated himself from the sequel in subtle ways, implying that it was redundant to retread Rapture again. I haven't played the second game but the build up to it did nothing for me. The makers seem to have presumed in their media campaign that the Big Daddies were the star rather than the themes and atmosphere. If they'd shown different areas, with some stylistic changes from the first game, it might have been more interesting. I do hope to play it though to compare - and Bioshock Infinite when it is released.

A great original game is sometimes worth paying more for than a too similar, less inspiring, sequel.

ReputationRep:
    It can be a challenge if you want it to be. I didn't die once in the whole game lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I would just get the first game brand new - Bioshock, for its faults (which presumably are still evident in Bioshock 2 like the 'moral choices' which may as well have been tacked on at the end of the production) is a game that many people will want to keep for a long time, largely because of the setting. It's £11.40 on Xbox 360 and £13.49 on
    PS3, all on Amazon.co.uk.

Or it's on PC at Gamestation for only £5.99 :
    http://www.gamestation.co.uk/search.aspx?s=bioshock

(that's £1 cheaper than Game - they're actually part of the same group these days).

PC can be awkward though - I'd get it on console if you have one.

The cheapest that I ever saw the first Bioshock game brand new on Xbox 360 and PS3 was £10 each in an Asda Living store.

The second Bioshock game wasn't worked on by the man behind the whole concept, Ken Levine. In interviews, he has disassociated himself from the sequel in subtle ways, implying that it was redundant to retread Rapture again. I haven't played the second game but the build up to it did nothing for me. The makers seem to have presumed in their media campaign that the Big Daddies were the star rather than the themes and atmosphere. If they'd shown different areas, with some stylistic changes from the first game, it might have been more interesting. I do hope to play it though to compare - and Bioshock Infinite when it is released.

A great original game is sometimes worth paying more for than a too similar, less inspiring, sequel.
    Thanks for the info, but I managed to get them on the Gamestation website for £18 (Bioshock was pre-owned, but still a good price at £10). Quite a good deal I thought. I didn't realise that they were made by different people though. Hopefully I'll enjoy them both!

ReputationRep:
    At first Bioshock 1 scared the s*** out of me. Now I'm bored of it

ReputationRep:
    First one is better because of atmosphere.

The second one has improved combat but story is not as good.

And drill dashing enemies is insanely fun.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info, but I managed to get them on the Gamestation website for £18 (Bioshock was pre-owned, but still a good price at £10). Quite a good deal I thought. I didn't realise that they were made by different people though. Hopefully I'll enjoy them both!
    Don't worry too much, both are excellent games.
    It's just that because the first was so ridiculously amazing, the second one feels a little worse than it really is. I'd say both are must-plays for any gamer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I bought Bioshock 1 but was wayyy too scared to play it
    I had to give it to my bf :p:
    (Original post by Roxas13)
    At first Bioshock 1 scared the s*** out of me. Now I'm bored of it
    Oh no, it's not that scary is it? :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.