The Student Room Group

Biochemistry interview questions?

I just got an interview for Biochemistry. Since the subject isn't taught at school and you're not required to know anything outside of the syllabus, what sort of questions do they ask? Organic chemistry? DNA replication, transcription, translation? Cell respiration and photosynthesis? The relevant subjects I'm taking in the IB are: Biology HL, Chemistry HL, Physics SL and Maths Methods. Will I have to revise physics for the interview or should I focus on biology and chemistry? How much of the interview is based on your personal statement and how much is focused on subject related questions?
Pretty much every question will be on chemistry and biochemistry. Last year they started off by asking applicants why they wanted to study biochemistry; a nice question to ease you into the interview! This was the only non-academic question i got.
All the stuff you mention sounds good, just know your chemistry and any biochemistry parts of biology inside out. Dont worry about physics.
The whole interview will be problem solving! If you've mentioned topics in your ps then the problem solving might centre around this topic or lead on from it. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LearningMath
Pretty much every question will be on chemistry and biochemistry. Last year they started off by asking applicants why they wanted to study biochemistry; a nice question to ease you into the interview! This was the only non-academic question i got.
All the stuff you mention sounds good, just know your chemistry and any biochemistry parts of biology inside out. Dont worry about physics.
The whole interview will be problem solving! If you've mentioned topics in your ps then the problem solving might centre around this topic or lead on from it. :smile:

Thanks, this helps a lot. :smile: Do you know if they focus on specific parts of chemistry, like bonding or reaction mechanisms, or do they dance across the whole syllabus? Will they ask me to propose experiments?
This website should give you a good idea:

http://www.oxbridge-admissions.info/profiles-list.php?w=course

Scroll down to #29-40

Good luck with your interview. Don't forget to read about sugars, respiration, photosynthesis, proteins, cells (and membranes) and everything you have learned in AS and A2 (thus far.) Oh, and if you haven't learned about buffers yet, rates of reaction or equilibrium constants, I would advise that you read about them before your interview.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sorenfors
Thanks, this helps a lot. :smile: Do you know if they focus on specific parts of chemistry, like bonding or reaction mechanisms, or do they dance across the whole syllabus? Will they ask me to propose experiments?

They're not likely to ask you an inorganic question, but the organic and physical will probably come up in some form. I havnt heard of anyone being asked to propose an experiment.
Reply 5
I've read through some past questions that my college has and they seem to mainly be about carboxylic acids, amino acids, bonding and diseases such as HIV...

:smile:

I've got an interview for biochemistry as well, so nervous!
Will we be expected to know each A2 topic that has been covered in school in detail?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending